The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Some good Flamenco suggestions, and strings too.
Can anyone suggest classical and classical crossovers - not Cordoba because I am familiar already - as well as strings, that could fall into the criteria?
Not interested in signature models and models with special/exotic materials - I find them over priced and not necessary for me.
I want the money to go towards quality, sound, reliability, reputation (earned) etc.
Used or new - under like $1600 US ballpark.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 AM

I like the tension over the strings to be more or less equal. This is a problem because I really prefer carbon strings over nylon. For Carbon strings most packets you buy have a 1st string that has a tension well above the rest.

What I want: More or less equal tension, good fundamental basses, powerful and bright trebles

Savarez Alliance trebles: High tension 2nd and 3rd.
For the first string I prefer 0.60mm. The Normal tension is 0.62mm. This jsut a bit to much for me and my guitar sounds great and feels great with 0.60mm. I have to buy this separately online as a 2m string which I can cut.

https://www.bertboonviolins.com/nl/s...nce-kf60a.html

Augustine Red basses.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
Some good Flamenco suggestions, and strings too.
Can anyone suggest classical and classical crossovers - not Cordoba because I am familiar already - as well as strings, that could fall into the criteria?
Not interested in signature models and models with special/exotic materials - I find them over priced and not necessary for me.
I want the money to go towards quality, sound, reliability, reputation (earned) etc.
Used or new - under like $1600 US ballpark.

Thanks
I would only suggest a crossover if you want something with electronics. I haven't otherwise found a crossover guitar whose acoustic sound was comparable to a classical/flamenco guitar. Alhambra, Esteve, Hanika and Yamaha have an extensive number of models (arguably the biggest classical guitar building factories), including crossovers which might be closer to a classical guitar sound than a crossover model that is based on a steel-string design.

I'm not sure how easily available these are in the US, but for that amount, you can surely look into a very good guitar from any of these makers, which are in my opinion the most consistent in absolute quality and quality-price ratio (I'm going to suggest one or two models for each; in alphabetical order, not order of preference):

Alhambra models 7P, 8P, 9P
Burguet 3M
Camps M14
Esteve model 8 or 9
Hanika model 50, 52 or 54
Juan Hernandez model Profesor
Paco Castillo 205
Picado model 54 or 60
Yamaha GC22

A big "problem" about classical guitar shopping is that most of these brands, while very good, don't tend to have very distinctive sounds between themselves, making it hard to choose between them (certainly not as defined "trademark" soundscapes as in the famous steel-string builders). Individual guitars of the same model from the same company might differ somewhat between themselves as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical guitar, country, fingerstyle, flamenco guitar, folk