The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 09:20 PM

Default Misc Martin models info

So I've been hanging around here a while and have learned a ton from all of you. However my knowledge in general about Martin guitars is vastly lacking. I've picked up pieces here and the but there are things that are difficult for me to figure out without proper background. I'm particularly interested in Martin OMs as one of which will likely be my next guitar.

1) So do guitar in the same series but different tonewoods have exact same bracing. I guess for example would a OM 28 be the exact same as a same year OM 18 except the mahogany vs rosewood? Or do they make other changes?

2) can you clarify the similarities and differences of other Martin OM models? For example I think I read once that an OM-21 is basically a striped down OM-28. Is the difference just cosmetic, or more internal differences?

Take me to school!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Cgheck this out and go to the spec wizard http://martinrep.com/index.html
Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Thank you lots of good info there. Just to clarify though, would the bracing be the same on a OM whether it is a 17, 18, 21, 28, ect.. I understand the differences as listed such as wood choice and appointments. just wondering if there are more differences under the hood as well as you move up in series. I really am not that interested in fancy appointments, just a good sounding quality OM. I don't get the opportunity to play many because I live in the middle of nowhere so I kinda have to hunt em' down to try out!

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 AM

With Martin the OM is pretty well defined BUT there are some models that deviate from their own definition. I think the only way to keep track is to know what a standard OM is, then you can spot the deviations when you look at the specs. To me an OM is 14 fret 000 body, long scale, 1 3/4" nut width, 1/4" scalloped forward braces, 2 1/4" string spacing at the bridge (my preference... but they seem to be all over the map on this), solid head stock, belly bridge. That's where I start.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 AM

No. Go to martinguitar.com and search for any specific guitar you are interested in. There are a few different bracings Martin uses.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Thank you lots of good info there. Just to clarify though, would the bracing be the same on a OM whether it is a 17, 18, 21, 28, ect.. I understand the differences as listed such as wood choice and appointments. just wondering if there are more differences under the hood as well as you move up in series. I really am not that interested in fancy appointments, just a good sounding quality OM. I don't get the opportunity to play many because I live in the middle of nowhere so I kinda have to hunt em' down to try out!
No, not necessarily. As was noted by somebody posting above, you can check the specs online. You can find 1/4" scalloped x-brace on at least several OM models -- maybe the 18, 21, 28 standard models in current form, so there's that -- but it's not the same on all Martin OMs, and there's even more variation among different 000s. As for a "good sounding quality OM" -- at some level they all fit the bill, and to some extent it's really up to you, but the design and construction differences are not confined to the decorative or the decorative plus the bracing pattern -- there are differences up and down the line that might matter to you or not. And then there's guitar-to-guitar variation, but that's a different story.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
...I understand the differences as listed such as wood choice and appointments. just wondering if there are more differences under the hood as well as you move up in series...
I think you're confusing Style with Series, and that is easy to do since Martin's mixes terms sometimes.

In the past, all Martins were Martin guitars and were all built the same for any given period. Meaning all used the same bracing, woods, etc. The Style number indicated the tone woods and trim only. That is not the case now.

In the modern era 15, 16, and 17 Series have specific construction attributes, bracing etc. Those are Series and not Styles as they were in the past. For Standard Series and up, Styles mean sort of what they always did. For example, you could have a D-18, D-18V, D-18GE, and D-18A. All have mahogany bodies and spruce tops, but the type of spruce, bracing, and other construction features vary widely in ways that are unique to the Series.

Generally speaking, if two guitars are in the same Series, they have the same construction. So, an OM-21 and OM-28 from the Standard Series are structurally identical, and that would also be the case with a D-18GE and D-28GE. However a Standard Series OM-28 and Authentic Series OM-28A 1931 are significantly different in wood, bracing, structure, and as a result....tone.

Standard and Vintage Series guitars share Sitka spruce tops, the same type of scalloped bracing profile, and a 2" bridge plate. GE/Marquis Series have red spruce tops, lighter scalloped bracing, and a 1 11/16" bridge plate. Authentic Series guitars have red spruce tops, the bracing is lighter still including back and other bracing, and have 1 3/8" bridge plates on belly bridge models. The Authentics are the most lightly built guitars Martin has produced since 1944.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bracing, comparison, martin om, models