The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 AM

Default Tech "Schmeck" - Are You Ditching Any Performance Tech?

I suppose, given we're the quiet acoustic types , we're a bit more retro than most. But I had a thought. Curious what others' processes have been...

I'm a geek though. I love tech. I try everything. Right now I'm using the iPad for music management, Ultimate Guitar for my song index, a USB interface for recording, and now I'm looking at digital mixers. (Disclaimer: I'm an IT trainer for a school district - tech is my life).

BUT... I'm starting to pull back a bit. At jams I'm starting to wish I just had a book on a music stand.

Same thing with recording. I have a USB interface yet I'm gravitating toward the stupid tape-like simplicity of my Zoom. Push red button. Play. Stop.

I know sometimes in Reaper I wish I could just grab a fader. Since most devices serve multiple purposes it seems I'm never in on the screen/app I need.

So yeah... just thinking out loud. We're really still learning how and when to use tech to our advantage and when to revert to "old-school" means of doing things. I'm wondering about the experience of others who may experiment with a tech-based solution then bounce back to a traditional means then maybe re-bounce to tech.

This is a very general thought. Just spit balling.

Thanks!
Brian

*For the pedantic, we'll define technology as computer gizmos of the last 30 years. I understand that, technically, the wheel and written text is technology. But we use "tech" colloquially these days as "electronics gizmos".

TL;DR - Wondering how others have been negotiating the shift between new music/performance tech and more traditional means and what's influenced moves both toward and away from technology.*
Old 08-07-2016, 06:48 AM

I have all the iPad toys, USB recording, AirTurn pedals, etc. I had everything in OnSong. Well... I just bought two flexible cover binders and 200 thin sheet covers and made binders again. One for jams and the other for performances. Worship teams seem to like the iPad solution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Live, I've gone quite straightforward: I typically run the acoustic straight into the board and though I use a modeler for sounds I run it through a guitar amp and typically use only a touch of reverb and echo.

Recording, I started my career as an analog recording engineer back in 1980 and followed the technology as it went totally to non-linear DAWs. I use their full capabilities when I'm the engineer or engineer/producer. Interestingly, when I'm both the player and the engineer I often use the DAW essentially as a slightly more sophisticated linear tape deck, using automated punch-in and -out with pre- and post-rolls. I'll set up a record track and a bunch of "take lanes" that I throw the takes onto. I typically play the parts through with only a few pickups and then choose the best take. I might edit between takes to assemble a complete lead like David Gilmour does, but the bottom line is very organic.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpants View Post
I suppose, given we're the quiet acoustic types , we're a bit more retro than most. But I had a thought. Curious what others' processes have been...

I'm a geek though. I love tech. I try everything. Right now I'm using the iPad for music management, Ultimate Guitar for my song index, a USB interface for recording, and now I'm looking at digital mixers. (Disclaimer: I'm an IT trainer for a school district - tech is my life).

BUT... I'm starting to pull back a bit. At jams I'm starting to wish I just had a book on a music stand.

Same thing with recording. I have a USB interface yet I'm gravitating toward the stupid tape-like simplicity of my Zoom. Push red button. Play. Stop.

I know sometimes in Reaper I wish I could just grab a fader. Since most devices serve multiple purposes it seems I'm never in on the screen/app I need.

So yeah... just thinking out loud. We're really still learning how and when to use tech to our advantage and when to revert to "old-school" means of doing things. I'm wondering about the experience of others who may experiment with a tech-based solution then bounce back to a traditional means then maybe re-bounce to tech.

This is a very general thought. Just spit balling.

Thanks!
Brian

*For the pedantic, we'll define technology as computer gizmos of the last 30 years. I understand that, technically, the wheel and written text is technology. But we use "tech" colloquially these days as "electronics gizmos".

TL;DR - Wondering how others have been negotiating the shift between new music/performance tech and more traditional means and what's influenced moves both toward and away from technology.*
If your intent is to represent yourself in a recording that sonically captures your live performance, then you'll need the low-tech Zoom technology - as you dub it to be - and that should be enough. If your intent is to master a studio recording of yourself with all the digital knob turning and sliding spit and polish, then you're just the guy to obtain exactly what you need for that.

Personally, when I hear studio-mastered recordings by amateurs who seek to get that professional quality unrepresentative of their actual live performance, I lose interest immediately. Give me the raw you. If you sound good there, that's all your audience asks from you. It's also easier to repeat live.

We're on the verge of transitioning from real instrumental music to digital modeling. That irks me. It especially bothers me when I know it's from the hands of guitar players attempting to make themselves sound better in their recordings with technology rather than their playing skills. No. Learn to play your instruments better. It's the high road.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:06 PM

I'm not very techie at all. I still use paper sheet music when I'm learning a song.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 PM

I remember when I first got into digital recording. I went to a Guitar Center and said, "Got anything for the computer that just looks like a recording console on the screen?" I'm sure they thought I was crazy.

Man, I'll tell you what...if there weren't so many doggone moving parts and pieces that could break, wear out, etc. due to its age, I'd be all over getting a Tascam 388. I've recorded a lot, but the best quality I ever got was from one of these machines (Back when time was money in the studio, more takes = more time = more money out of YOUR pocket). I'd love to have one in good shape. I know I'd eventually have to move it over to a digital format, but still. I'm sort of from the school that if you have to do a lot of copying/pasting and digital editing/fixing/pitch correcting, maybe you should't be recording in the first place. Just my $.02.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM

I asked my question at work. When does a paper calendar trump my 2 dozen shared Google Calendars?

When does a 5x8 notepad trump the myriad note taking apps I have?

I think I'm going to step back from the tech. Not because I'm anti-tech, but to see what the strengths of pairing the two - finding the complements.

I also think I'll put a bit more effort into my digital music management. I do think there's a strength there if you exploit it - tagging, transposing, etc.

The weakness: a sheet of paper offers 93 square inches of space vs. an iPads 45 square inches. That's pretty significant.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I just got a Beat Buddy.

It promises to be a ton of fun. Perhaps it will end up being a really pricey metronome, but, I do have the idea that I could incorporate it into my solo or duo performances with good effect.

There is going to be a learning curve from the standpoint of seamlessly integrating the pedal-pushing while playing.

I forgot to order the Beat Buddy Footswitch at the same time, so that's coming next.

(i'm an incorrigible gadget weenie)

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
performance, technology, tradition