The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2015, 07:26 AM

Default Suggestions for a 'new' old guitar

I am looking for advice on a new old acoustic...currently playing a Freshman Apollo, with a LR Baggs pickup for live (going through a tc electronic Bodyrez pedal). It sounds okay but the advice I have had from a couple of very good sound engineers recently is to look for something old, with big sound, some roughness in the sound and plenty of bass and mid and that can take a very heavy strumming hand. I play in a folk/punk duo (with an electric fiddle). I include a link to last night's gig so you get an idea of what I'm playing and what sort of sound it currently has (this is the sound from the livestream which I think was a little thinner than the sound in the room).
Any advice gratefully received....

Here is a taste of what we play....https://youtu.be/P7QFY2dzjvg
Old 12-21-2015, 10:27 AM

You guys sound good. And yeah, given your strumming approach, the advice makes sense. A dryer, warmer sound with a bit less headroom is what you are describing.

Headroom: when you strum it harder, if the guitar has a lot of headroom, it will just sound louder. If the guitar does not have a lot of headroom, then past a certain point, the tone will compress a bit and emphasize the mids. I compare it to stepping on an acoustic overdrive pedal

Gibson mahogany guitars are known for this. Try a J-45 and see what you think. J-200's are huge and most are maple, but they are known for their rhythm support.

A guitar like an old Harmony Sovereign might be up your alley. More affordable vs. an old Gibson and they are very strummy with low-ish headroom.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of All View Post
I am looking for advice on a new old acoustic...currently playing a Freshman Apollo, with a LR Baggs pickup for live (going through a tc electronic Bodyrez pedal). It sounds okay but the advice I have had from a couple of very good sound engineers recently is to look for something old, with big sound, some roughness in the sound and plenty of bass and mid and that can take a very heavy strumming hand. I play in a folk/punk duo (with an electric fiddle). I include a link to last night's gig so you get an idea of what I'm playing and what sort of sound it currently has (this is the sound from the livestream which I think was a little thinner than the sound in the room).
Any advice gratefully received....

Here is a taste of what we play....https://youtu.be/P7QFY2dzjvg
Laurence,
The only sound coming out of your guitar was the feed from the magnetic pickup, correct?

When you were not singing, and went off-mic, the guitar sound did not seem to change a bit, so I am going to assume it was solely the magnetic pickup feed from the sound board.

Just about no difference is going to be heard with a different guitar using that particular pickup. You could certainly use an outboard preamp/equalizer to broaden the spectrum of the pickups range.

Once you start standing in front of a guitar microphone it's another thing altogether, and you could probably do very well with the guitar you have depending on mic placement. Blended correctly with the magnet pickup, the combination may be just what you'd like to hear.

If, however, you're a mover, and can't stay in good proximity to the mic, then you'll have to start using a different system that can follow you around no matter what.

HE
Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM

Thank you WordMan and HE. Great advice. I am looking at various options (both in terms of EQ etc and instrument). Looking at an orchid EQ pre-amp but have also been talking to a friend about utilising an internal mic with a sound hole cover as well as magnetic pickup. Finding a better (more appropriate) instrument would be a good start though (especially as we are recording our first album this year). Will investigate WordMan's suggestions as well.

Really appreciate the help!

Many thanks.x

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, folk, old guitar, punk, suggestions