The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Exclamation LR Baggs Anthem and Martin Bracing Pattern Compatibility

Considering an LR Baggs Anthem pickup system for your Martin?
If you have a standard series, stop reading this post, and go buy one. IMO the sound is fantastic, and you won't regret it.
HOWEVER: If you are like me, and bought a "more affordable" newer martin guitar, chances are that your bracing pattern varies from the standard X pattern, and this could cause issues when installing the full Anthem system (not the SL).

I just had a full LR Baggs Anthem (not the SL) installed in my 2013 Martin D-17m, and while I love it, I probably could have saved a few bucks (and saved my luthier some trouble) if I had done a bit more research about the pickup itself and bracing pattern compatibility.

Martin is increasingly using A-Frame bracing (or some derivative like the Hybrid X bracing pattern) in its non-standard series guitars. (Acoustics from the 17 series and on down through their budget X-series models)
The A-frame braces in these configurations near the sound-hole are so much taller than the traditional "Popsicle stick" sound-hole braces (found in a standard X-bracing pattern) that it presents a problem:
The full Anthem controller is designed to fit over X-style sound-hole braces (see example here),

But the anthem sound-hole controller can't sit flush over the taller A-frame brace. My luthier (bless his heart) built a custom "platform" that's about 1/4" thick on either side of the A-frame brace so that there would be a level surface for the controller to sit on/attach to. This made installation cost more, and added glued material to the top (I know... some of you are cringing, but to my ears, the impact on sound is unchanged to minuscule, and he color matched the tiny part that's visible to the guitar top).

All in all, I'm very happy with the pickup itself and the sound that the guitar produces, but if you own a more frugal, players Martin acoustic guitar, you may want to consider the Anthem SL (with the smaller controller) to avoid installation hiccups, save a few bucks, and still get that awesome Anthem sound.

Check out Martin's bracing patterns here and also here!

Last edited by northern LLama; 09-04-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM

I bought a nice, very clean used 2012 Martin D15M at Elderly's about a month ago. I picked it up on a Sat. morning when they first opened. I had called ahead and the repair guy said he'd install an Anthem "Tru-Mic" full system that same morning (this is the larger sound hole controller for vol./mic blend/batt check) - he did have to build a little platform for the vol./blend control unit because of the top-bracing in that area too - he told me about it ahead of time and it was a small up-charge, but it's done and so worth it. IMHO you'd need dog ears to hear any difference before and after that small piece of wood is glued into place inside the top (have to call cork sniffery alert). Really, even with the Anthem SL, which has a smaller vol. only control and does not need the small "platform", you'd still have a vol. control stuck inside to guitar top just inside the sound hole; not to mention you'd also have the battery bag and the endpin jack assembly inside the guitar with all of them (I know, the "platform" is attached to the guitar top, but its to small to make a sonic difference that would be noticeable). The Anthem in that D15M is so easy to dial in, and it just really delivers an "organic" natural sound of the guitar, just amplified. I'm a big fan, the Anthem gives you the sound you bought the D15 for - get one and just play.

Last edited by doublescale1; 09-04-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: fixed reference to the correct Anthem model
Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Default same

I have done this mod on three guitars, easy after the first experimental one. I found small wooden "plugs" used to plug drill holes in furniture to be the perfect size, some scotch outdoor double side tape for the attachment, solid as a rock and unnoticeable other than the pre angles a bit more which is great for access anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
anthem, bracing, compatibility, lr baggs, martin