The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Pickup help for finger style and percussive acoustic

I had an awesome sounding acoustic but I sold it because when it was plugged in all the percussive hits like string slaps, palm thuds, knuckle taps etc.. Just sounded like a loud bass drum. Im assuming because I need microphone pickups. Is there any suggestion on what to get? Or should I just get a Taylor, like a 414ce? Would that guitar pick everything up? What are some suggestions on good pickups for percussive acoustic? Thanks!!' I'm a newbie to the forum!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Taylor's Expression System can't pickup percussive sounds well. Sometimes I play highly percussive styles and the best combo for me is a magnetic and an internal mic. Yes you'll probably need a mic, and for the other part of your dual source system it depends on your needs. An under saddle pickup you a very punchy sound (eg. LR Baggs Anthem). A soundboard transducer pickup gives you a very full and woody sound (eg. K&K trinity). Finally a magnetic pickup gives you a clear and warm sound, with a nice clean bass (eg. Fishman rare earth blend).

Hope this gives you some ideas to start.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmusicpage View Post
I had an awesome sounding acoustic but I sold it because when it was plugged in all the percussive hits like string slaps, palm thuds, knuckle taps etc.. Just sounded like a loud bass drum. Im assuming because I need microphone pickups. Is there any suggestion on what to get? Or should I just get a Taylor, like a 414ce? Would that guitar pick everything up? What are some suggestions on good pickups for percussive acoustic? Thanks!!' I'm a newbie to the forum!
Hi kgmusicpage...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined...

Andy McKee prefers the K&K Pure Mini pickup plus internal mic, as it specializes in picking up/sensing body and string articulations and vibrations.

He also has a magnetic pickup (Sunrise) as well with a separate output to pickup more bass. He says he doesn't like magnetic pickups much, and keeps it down in his mix.

Don Ross also uses K&K pickups. Brooke Miller (his wife and fellow-Candyrat recordist) also uses K&K pickups.

I think they are one of the best acoustic pickups and flexible enough to adapt from fingerstyle to strumming to tapping with little/no adjustment.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM

here's a video where Thomas Leeb explains his rig...

and a video showing how it works/sounds live

that's me on guitar
Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll try adding a mic system to a 414ce?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 PM

With the 414 ES, you do not want to do much percussive playing. The body sensor attaches to the underside of the top and can be damaged by too much thumping on the body. Other players on this forum have had the same problem.

I would consider the K&K with an internal mic OR a nice and less invasive pickup is the LR Baggs M80 that not only has the string mag pickup but also senses the body as well. It is the closest thing to a dual system in a single pickup and you can take it in and out of your guitar.

The M80 is a very high quality pickup and IMHO one of the best on the market. I have a Sunrise/Schertler magnetico/Fishman Rare Earth and I prefer the M80 most of the time. That said, the Sunrise is still the king of mags, but would need a second source to sense the body percussion.

davidc
Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Default Takamine

These don't find much favour around here but the Taks are really tough and can stand up to a lot more beating than many others.
I am forced to take my Martin out of circulation for a while after a friend became over enthusiastic with percussive playing and loosened one of the internal braces.

I am buying a Tak as a backup with a CT4-DX pickup, and a K&K into the second slot.

1950s/60s Baritone Ukelele K&K
2020 Fender Limited Edition Jazzmaster Pure Vintage
'65 Pickups, & Series/Parallel 4-Way
Fender Supersonic 22" combo

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 PM

LYRIC! it’s great for this kind of stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, finger style, percussive, picking, pickups