The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Arrow 1948 National N1135 Archtop -- New Info, Big Price Drop!

SOLD!

This guitar has been listed before, but thanks to forum members I now have better information. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for you this results in a big price drop!

NEW PRICE: $1250 shipped

This is a very interesting guitar that plays as great as it sounds! The best information available is that it is an early model N1135 built in 1948. (They were only built from ’48 to ’54).

Every guitar maker needed an archtop back in the mid-20th century, and National was no exception. When I got this guitar from Buffalo Brothers they said that National got the bodies for this model from Gibson and added their own necks. National is known to have done a lot of business with Gibson, and it’s well documented that their flattop jumbos are Gibson bodies. I found this at http://fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.php:

Model 1135 Acoustic arch-top guitar – 1947-1953
Previously Model N-125 - 1944-1946
Body size: 17”x 21” (same as the Gibson L-7)
With Gibson-made neck – 1947-1951
With National “Stylist” neck – 1951-1953
Custom-ordered neck & bridge pickups
2-volume, 2-tone. 1-PU selector lever – pichguard mounted
Split half-circle inlays
Triple-bound top & single bound FB & peghead
Blonde or sunburst finish
Some examples had added floating neck pickup
Discontinued in 1953

While not definitive proof that this is a Gibson, it makes sense and is very reminiscent of Gibson’s 17 inch archtops from the period. The original Lifton case (in good shape) is included, and is another clue.

This particular guitar has a nice tobacco sunburst finish and a cool acrylic pickguard. It is very playable with low action and tons of volume. You really get the great tone and projection that comes from a good archtop.
The guitar is sound, with no cracks, breaks, or repairs. It is a player, not a museum piece. It has some scuffs, scratches, and shrinkage of the binding, as you might imagine for a guitar of this age. There is a a bit of a gouge on the side of the upper bout that is stable and doesn't affect anything - pictured below.

I can get you some more detailed pics if you're interested.

It's a great guitar, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm clearing out the big guitars and moving more into small bodies. I'll consider all offers. Interesting trades plus or minus cash are also welcome. Here's your chance to get hold of that vintage archtop you've always wanted at a great price!
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others

Last edited by JP McD; 01-12-2014 at 07:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
archtop, gibson archtop, national