The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-26-2021, 08:19 PM

Default Shure SM81 thoughts

I have been keeping my eye on this. Does anyone have experience with these. I have a Neumann ton 103 and a sm57 and a akg p120
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 07-26-2021, 09:47 PM

I have 4 'good' mics I use for my acoustic fingerstyle recordings. I started with a pair of Neuman KM 184's. I then added a Shure SM-81. For a while my favorite combo was a 184 at the 12th fret and the SM-81 by the bridge. That pair sounded more 'open' than two 184's. Last year I added a audio technica 5045 to the group. I hate to admit it, but this past year and a half has been such a strange stressful time I have just not had time to figure out how/where the AT5045 works best.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The SM-81 is a stalwart. Watch just about any rock band concert and you can see them being used on the drummer's high-hat and often a pair over the kit as overheads. I personally have used them that way to record several concert videos. We've got a pair here that has been in-house for over forty years and never suffered a casualty. They are rugged. The sound is a smooth, flat upper end, not pronounced, not sharp, very natural.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:43 AM

I have a single one that I got used for a good price. It has a reputation for being a rugged, "flat" response condenser mic, and I've used it mostly for things like capturing IRs/samples. They're a good value for their price, even new, and as Bob has pointed out, a classic you see over drums sets over and over again.

Things I've noticed about it: low output for a condenser mic. With my Scarlett or Clarett interfaces I run it with their gain turned up almost all the way, which isn't much of an issue as noise floors aren't as much an issue with modern gear and 24 bit recording. On the other hand, I had no problem getting level using my SM81 with a Tonedexter to capture IRs. It's also a bit longer than most SDC mics if you're looking to fit one into a tight area.

I considered getting a pair for recording acoustic guitar. Trying the one I had in a mono recording produced results I'd be happy using, but around the same time I couldn't resist a deal on a set of Warm Audio WA-84 SDC mics that may not be as flat or rugged as the SM81, but when I used them I thought the WA-84's character really worked with my guitars and playing. Of course the Shure is actually cheaper than the Warm Audio mics right now if you're buying new.

Just as an acoustic guitar mic, I'd say the SM81 is well worth considering with your own ears, gear, and playing style. If you're into general recording -- including drums and other string instruments and field recording samples/IRs -- then it may be close to a "must have."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-27-2021, 10:01 PM

I've got a pair just because SM81 is a fairly inexpensive way to get a pair of something pretty good. I also have a pair of KM184s. However, when I record solo acoustic, I almost never use a pair as of late. Lately it's been a some sort of condenser on the neck joint and a ribbon on the body or over the shoulder.

I would think an SM81 would pair up pretty nicely with any of your other mics. What I like about the SM81 is that it doesn't have the high frequency bump a lot of mics have.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-29-2021, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

SM-81's are a great all around mic.

Can be used on about anything.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
I have been keeping my eye on this. Does anyone have experience with these. I have a Neumann ton 103 and a sm57 and a akg p120
Hi pjb…

I opted for a trio of NT3 mics as opposed to SM-81 in studio because of better definition, and a slightly fuller bottom end. The NT3 can also be powered by a 9v battery (in the barrel) and go mobile in situations where there is no phantom power (though it can use phantom power).

Certainly SM-81s are great mics, and have stood the test of durability and usefulness.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD