The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-26-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Default ProTools 2021.6 update

The newest ProTools update is pretty impressive. The HDX users now have the hybrid engine which had been exclusive to Carbon up till now. Everyone got their max track count doubled. Side chain compensation was added. But the thing that will really help me is the ability to switch between light mode and dark mode without having to restart ProTools. I prefer light mode for everything except the midi editor where dark mode lets me see notes much more clearly. I wasn't using it, however, because to use it meant having to save, shut down PT, then restart. Now the switch can be made on the fly. If I could make a shortcut to switch, it would really be perfect.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-27-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The newest ProTools update is pretty impressive. The HDX users now have the hybrid engine which had been exclusive to Carbon up till now. Everyone got their max track count doubled. Side chain compensation was added. But the thing that will really help me is the ability to switch between light mode and dark mode without having to restart ProTools. I prefer light mode for everything except the midi editor where dark mode lets me see notes much more clearly. I wasn't using it, however, because to use it meant having to save, shut down PT, then restart. Now the switch can be made on the fly. If I could make a shortcut to switch, it would really be perfect.
Jim are you still on Catalina 10.15.7 ?
Also I don't know if you followed the Dark mode thread over on the DUC but a techie type guy over there did a mod to the color file (txt. file) that IMO really improved the dark mode such that, the modified file is all I use now .

If your interested I could e-mail it to you with the instructions of how to install it ( pretty simple. You simply locate the default color file, rename and drag it, to like a folder on your desktop or documents in case you want to go back to it ).
He has checked with 2021.6 and states it works fine.
Now apparently in 2021.6 you can now tweak some things which is nice
I can't remember all the things he improved but they were things like contrast on some buttons etc. and the lettering color etc. He added the color green to the header bar (I guess because he likes it ) but the one thing I really like is any plugin that is inactive is bright red

Here is a screen shot of what the modded color file looks like

Here you can see I have my 3U compressor insert in inactive mode

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-27-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Jim are you still on Catalina 10.15.7 ?
Still??? LMAO! I only just updated to Catalina about a week before I got my Carbon. Here's an understatement... I don't rush into OS updates, although I'm faster about it now than I used to be. My first Mac OS was Jaguar. I stuck with that for many years. My next OS upgrade took me to Snow Leopard. After that, Mavericks.

I started upgrading more often from that point. El Capitan was next, then High Sierra. Since then, I've not skipped any but I usually don't update until a good year or more after the release date.

Quote:
Also I don't know if you followed the Dark mode thread over on the DUC but a techie type guy over there did a mod to the color file (txt. file) that IMO really improved the dark mode such that, the modified file is all I use now .

If your interested I could e-mail it to you with the instructions of how to install it ( pretty simple. You simply locate the default color file, rename and drag it, to like a folder on your desktop or documents in case you want to go back to it ).
He has checked with 2021.6 and states it works fine.
Now apparently in 2021.6 you can now tweak some things which is nice...
Interesting and thanks for offering. What you're using looks too dark for my taste and eyeballs but I'll have to look into how to customize colors. It would be nice if I could default the midi editor screen to dark mode without having to make the switch manually. I'll have to look for that thread on DUC.

YouTube
Old 06-27-2021, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I found this video and it doesn't look like I'll be able to address the midi editor window in isolation but I can probably find a nice compromise between the regular and dark. I like what AVID has done with this.

YouTube
Old 06-28-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I found this video and it doesn't look like I'll be able to address the midi editor window in isolation but I can probably find a nice compromise between the regular and dark. I like what AVID has done with this.
Interesting video
I also usually wait to upgrade OS. I am on 10.15.7 also but I switched when I got the Carbon In December.
Yes the improved color pallet is a great upgrade. Before having just saturation and brightness in the Color bar and then the brightness on the Mac display was fairly limited and global so the breaking it into different aspects will be nice

There was a thread on the DUC about some people not being able to save their customization settings, the issue was in permissions, don't know if you have had this. But I think the fix was to go to the PT Folder in Documents, find the Color Pallet txt file drag it out, create a new one... go to "get info" for that file, and change the permissions from "System" to your user name

I have not upgraded yet. Not sure when I will, and now since Carbon is only qualified for Big Sur 11.3 but Apple is on 11.4 I am not sure about upgrading OS either

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-28-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There was a thread on the DUC about some people not being able to save their customization settings, the issue was in permissions, don't know if you have had this. But I think the fix was to go to the PT Folder in Documents, find the Color Pallet txt file drag it out, create a new one... go to "get info" for that file, and change the permissions from "System" to your user name
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried it out yet. I have a pinched nerve in my hip for the past few days and when sitting at the desk the pain is excruciating.

YouTube
Old 06-28-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried it out yet. I have a pinched nerve in my hip for the past few days and when sitting at the desk the pain is excruciating.
Ouch sorry to hear that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ouch sorry to hear that.
After some hours on the tens machine and going through several cold packs, the pain is slightly more bearable so I sat down to check out the UI customization. Upping the Timeline Brightness gave me the contrast my eyes needed to edit midi without having to lean in and squint.

In playing around with it, I gave myself a bit of a scare. I hit one of the presets and it turned all my track headers gray. I thought it deleted that color info but after 10 minutes of cursing at the AVID I realized it just sent the saturation level down to zero.

YouTube
Old 06-29-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Ha. yes in my journey with Pro Tools starting in 2003,,,, 98% to 99% of the issues I have had, are pilot error or simply overlooking something ...

Which in retrospect have only been a handful to times in 18 years

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-04-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ha. yes in my journey with Pro Tools starting in 2003,,,, 98% to 99% of the issues I have had, are pilot error or simply overlooking something ...

Which in retrospect have only been a handful to times in 18 years
Boy was the above prophetic
So I installed 2021.6 and fired up PT (but forget to turn on my Carbon) I keep getting the "some inputs unavailable" window when my sessions opened.

I kept holding down the N key while launching PT but keep getting the same issue. So I decide to trash preferences but somehow trashed my plugins folder also ??? So I had to down load all the extra plugins again DUMB

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-04-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

opps double

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-04-2021, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

It's a good thing we only use metaphorical bullets when we shoot ourselves in the foot or we'd have run out of toes long ago.

Quote:
Boy was the above prophetic
So I installed 2021.6 and fired up PT (but forget to turn on my Carbon) I keep getting the "some inputs unavailable" window when my sessions opened.

I kept holding down the N key while launching PT but keep getting the same issue. So I decide to trash preferences but somehow trashed my plugins folder also ??? So I had to down load all the extra plugins again DUMB

YouTube
Old 07-13-2021, 09:48 PM

I'm just happy they finally fixed the Tab To Transient bug.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD