The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-20-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Incredible work, Steve--what a stunning pair of guitars for BiG(er). Can't wait to try them out!

And the third one is yet to come--Yowzah!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:03 PM

I love it Steve. What a beauty and I love my friend Mike Apollo and I love his Apollo bridge as well! Great job!
Old 07-24-2021, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I love it Steve. What a beauty and I love my friend Mike Apollo and I love his Apollo bridge as well! Great job!

Thanks, Tom. I absolutely agree, Mike Appollo is a great guy, one of the most singularly genuine people I’ve ever had the good fortune to know. And the bridge design I named after him has become the most popular design in my lineup. I have even adapted the Appollo carve to my second most popular bridge, the “Element” design, named after our longtime AGF friend, Ernie Elemento.

Here is a handful of bridges from the current five guitar projects.IMG_2959.jpg

Here is the new hybrid bridge that I made for the Performance Multiscale guitar that started this thread. It’s an Element shape with the Appollo carve. I like it! I’m definitely keeping this one in the lineup.IMG_2957.jpg
Old 07-24-2021, 11:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm heading up to Birmingham tomorrow to get things organized for the estate liquidation sale at my mother's house, and then getting the place cleaned and cleared out. The house will be going live for sale on August 12. Hopefully it will sell quickly, and give a good boost to my mother's financial security, now that she's comfortably settled in to her big apartment at the Brookdale retirement community.

Before I go, I wanted to freshen up this thread, starting with the Multiscale Baritone Performance SC that started this thread. This guitar is fully built now, and it's been sealed, pore-filled, and the first six coats of lacquer sprayed on. It's looking great, if I do say so. It also has the portents of being a dragon-slayer in the tone department. The German Spruce top is beautifully silky, and ALIVE. This is one of the most unique guitars I've made; it's only the second multiscale baritone, built on the platform of my fourth-generation Performance model. Here are some photos of the completed guitar, before the finish work. BTW, the bridge shown is a placeholder; I had not yet settled on the design for the bridge when I had the opportunity to shoot these photos. See the post above for a photo of that new hybrid
Appollo/Element multiscale bridge.

I continued the mosaic motif from the rosette, segmented back inlay, and end graft on the back of the neck and the heel. The neck is a laminated design, with the main wood being some beautifully figured curly Honduran mahogany. This will be the second guitar I've built for Tim with this very special mahogany. Wait till you see what happens to the figure under finish!
Another recurring decorative element on this guitar is the color Azul (Blue). All the purflings are bordered with blue-dyed veneer lines; it's also incorporated in the headstock laminates, under the fingerboard, and in the fret position and other neck elements of blue Azurite stone, bordered with my trademark copper rings.
The fingerboard, bridge, and front headstock plate are Madagascar Ebony, with an unusual black and charcoal grey figure. This Ebony also has some subtle but luxurious flame figure that will show up under finish. I'm taking advantage of this by applying a Tru-Oil gunstock oil varnish, which I'll rub into the fingerboard after the frets are dressed and polished.

The tuners are also placeholders; although we are using Gotoh 510 Mini tuners. We just haven't decided which finish, and what buttons to use. The ones in these photos are the Cosmo Black finish, fitted with Madagascar Rosewood buttons. (Can anyone answer the question: Are they supposed to be called "knobs" or "buttons"? I like "buttons" because that sounds less knobby.)

Old 07-24-2021, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Let's drop in a couple more photos. Then I have a lot of wet-sanding to do before I hit the road tomorrow.

Okay, it's not a couple more photos. It's "a few".

That's a custom Hoffee CF Flight case for Tim's new guitar.
I am really hoping I can have Tim's Baritone EP-SC guitar all done and ready to bring to the B.I.G. Show in September. Tim said he would like me to bring it along, so long as it is treated very gently. I would certainly love to see and hear other people trying it out.
It's been a seemingly endless marathon getting all these guitars built, and it's going to get even more intense with all the wet-sanding, buffing, polishing, assembling, stringing, and setup work that is bearing down on me like a freight train, with barely a month left. I'm in my element though- I LOVE this work, and really can't think of much of anything I'd rather be doing. Thanks for looking!
Old 07-24-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Very nice work, Steve. I really like all the mosaic elements, including at the 12th fret. Very nice.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Very nice work, Steve. I really like all the mosaic elements, including at the 12th fret. Very nice.
Great work all around!!! Yes, my fav is the mosaic at the 12th fret also, but there is a lot to love here!
Old 07-25-2021, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

I love baritones, and I think if you have a few guitars in your collection, a baritone is a must. This one is crazy beautiful with tons of mojo, and I bet it's going to growl stereophonically through those ports. Not to mention, the Madagascar Ebony is incredibly gorgeous. Kudos all around Mr. Sheriff!
Old 07-26-2021, 08:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the comments, guys. The 12th fret mosaic took awhile to come around. I tried dozens of arrangements, and settled on this one, which looks like a party at the 12th fret, with spare pieces from all the other mosaics I put together. Not a quick process!
Nootis, I’m really looking forward to getting Tim’s baritone strung. If my calculations are correct, this guitar will be right at home in C-standard tuning with light gauge strings. And with the multiscale architecture, the opportunities for open tunings are endless… I’ll probably have to make a bari for myself after I try this one out.

I’m up in Birmingham now getting my mother’s house ready to put on the market. The good news is, I got all the lacquer sprayed on before I hit the road. Five guitars curing all at once. IMG_2970.jpgIMG_2969.jpgIMG_2967.jpg
Old 07-26-2021, 08:59 AM

That is quite a gaggle of guitars there Mr. Steve. Well done and a lot of hard work! Good luck with the house for that also is a lot of hard work.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thanks for the comments, guys. The 12th fret mosaic took awhile to come around. I tried dozens of arrangements, and settled on this one, which looks like a party at the 12th fret, with spare pieces from all the other mosaics I put together. Not a quick process!
Nootis, I’m really looking forward to getting Tim’s baritone strung. If my calculations are correct, this guitar will be right at home in C-standard tuning with light gauge strings. And with the multiscale architecture, the opportunities for open tunings are endless… I’ll probably have to make a bari for myself after I try this one out.

I’m up in Birmingham now getting my mother’s house ready to put on the market. The good news is, I got all the lacquer sprayed on before I hit the road. Five guitars curing all at once. Attachment 59889Attachment 59890Attachment 59891
Mine is in there somewhere.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Mine is in there somewhere.
James, yours is the one in the middle of the five bodies hanging in the closet- third from left. Does it look familiar, mixed in with its litter mates?
Old 07-26-2021, 05:42 PM

Wowser!!! Nice guitars Steve. And you kept the name of the second most popular bridge!
Old 07-26-2021, 07:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Wowser!!! Nice guitars Steve. And you kept the name of the second most popular bridge!
You betcha, Ernie! You put me on to a bunch of design changes that came to define the EP Performance guitar model, version 3.0, that are still at the top of the line. The Element Florentine cutaway, and the Element rosette, both attributed to you. How's that waterfall Bubinga guitar holding up? Still a player?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
You betcha, Ernie! You put me on to a bunch of design changes that came to define the EP Performance guitar model, version 3.0, that are still at the top of the line. The Element Florentine cutaway, and the Element rosette, both attributed to you. How's that waterfall Bubinga guitar holding up? Still a player?
Those designs are all yours and you were just kind enough to name them like you did. Yes, the waterfall bubinga/redwood is very much a player although I’m the one who hasn’t played in a long while. I will try to record again soon and send to you. My son who is now 24 has picked it as his favorite guitar and I’ve not even told him about the Element name. He is coming home next week so I will have a story to tell.

I’ll give you a shout next time we drive through Birmingham. Meanwhile, back to this beautiful guitar….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop