The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Help me start my build

So I purchased a rough kit to build and I'm at a loss for where to start. By rough kit, I mean back and top need to be sanded and glued, sides are already prebent, neck needs to be shaped as well as headstock, braces, neck and tail block. I need a place to start. Those of you with lots of experience tell me what to do! Very much looking forward to doing this but I want to start correctly and do each step with as much knowledge and understanding as possible.

The woods are Indian rosewood back and sides, cedar top, and I'm doing a 5" deep dreadnought body style.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

You need to start with a plan of action. I like to gather all the parts and components I will need to get to the “apply finish” stage. I start with joining the plates. Sand, plane, or scrape to a thickness close to your desired dimensions.
On the back side of the top plate lay out your brace pattern and drill the appropriate hole for your circle cutter. Cut the rosette channel. You will be on your way to the next steps at that point. Are you working from a set of drawings? Study them with your plan of action in mind. You can make your neck and tail blocks, rough cut the neck parts, profile the sides. You should have a good understanding of why each part is constructed the way it is. Don’t rush anything. Dry fit everything before you use glue. Learn how to sharpen your tools beyond anything you thought possible. There is a wealth of information on this site for every step. Use the search function. If you get stuck on something ask questions. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default All on one sheet.

Here you go:

Good Luck!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 08-30-2019, 04:24 PM

My advice is buy a book or purchase an instructional video series, on-line or DVD set. Then follow along with the book or video.

There are many sequences that can be followed, each of which produces suitable results. Pick one and follow it. For a first instrument, don't mix 'n' match methods/sequences: it'll be too confusing.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:39 PM

Follow what Charles Tauber has said above.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Foundation before the roof. Thickness the plates, install the rosette/back strip. Bend the sides. Make them all into a box. Bind it. Make the parts fo r the neck, assemble them. Fit it to the box. Do the finish. Make a bridge and fret and install tuners, string it. Lots of sanding at various stages. What could be simpler?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:01 PM

Stewmac had a good video (video cassette) back when I did my first build. Think it was Don MacRostie. Probably on DVD or other digital format now.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys very helpful!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:14 PM

Thanks Mark that's exactly what I needed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here you go:

Good Luck!
Mark
Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 PM

Worth a look.

https://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-5295/i-5295.pdf

Maybe get this thread moved to Build and Repair and do build thread.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
What could be simpler?
Brain surgery?
Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Brain surgery?
Aortic valve replacement . . .

Seriously, making a guitar is a series of simple steps. None of them are a big deal. The actual magic is in proportion, not unlike the difference between one recipe for tomato pasta and another. The biggest barrier I see is simply stepping off into the process. After that, it’s just one step at a time. The first step is joining the plates, universally, I think. Many have been down this path. There is no reason to expect a first effort to be perfect (though you will likely love it), not to imagine that it will be the only attempt.

I do imagine that Aortic valve replacement is much the same.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 08-30-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Seriously, making a guitar is a series of simple steps. None of them are a big deal.
I think the same can be said of any human endeavour.

Viewed that way, guitar-making involves a huge number of simple steps. To do it well, each step involves knowing a fair bit about that step. Take, for example, the simple step of setting up and sharpening edge tools - chisels and planes - or a cabinet scraper. Your stated first step - joining plates - depends upon it. Even with a sharp plane, a beginner might spend hours in the process of joining one plate - top or back: a skilled luthier will typically do it in a few minutes. While each step is simple, there can be a lot to each step.

Quote:
Many have been down this path.
It is certainly true that the steps are well known and - these days - well documented: it is easier now than ever before to learn the basics of guitar making.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop