The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Taylor View Post
I have one coming from Drew this Spring. The Madi on mine looks very close to yours. VERY close!

I want to see it when it’s done! I’d love to compare notes. Congratulations!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleySJ View Post
Sure, let me upload an mp3 to dropbox and send you a link. Not that my playing is any good LOL!

Lol! Thanks! No worries on the playing I’m certainly not the one to judge!! Haha!
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Drew is a pretty amazing builder. Even his bracing shows a true artist's hands at work. For a younger guy, he's amazing. I can only imagine the guitars that he'll be building by the time he's an older man.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Drew is a pretty amazing builder. Even his bracing shows a true artist's hands at work. For a younger guy, he's amazing. I can only imagine the guitars that he'll be building by the time he's an older man.

I agree. I fear his prices will spike for no chance at me getting a cedar top version.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone0305 View Post
I agree. I fear his prices will spike for no chance at me getting a cedar top version.
I think You'll find some Cedar tops on the market. His prices will definitely be climbing year after year. He really has a gift, and some important custom builders have a lot of faith in Drew's ability. I would say buy one sooner as opposed to later. There just are not a lot of his guitars on the used market. He is very popular in South Korea, and You can buy some new ones at a few shops over there, and most are Cedar.The best way to get ahold of one is to get on the list while it's only 2 years. I feel fortunate to have one coming this Spring. I'm also on the list for two more in two years. He is so great to work with, and the detail on his guitars are impeccable. My guitar this Spring is Cedar/Madi with a lot of options. This will be my gigger for good. The next one is going to be Sinker Redwood. Dream guitars had one, and it was a great guitar.
I sold every guitar except for the 1936 Dobro Model 37 Squareneck that my Dad bought brand new. I am going to collect Heinonens from now on. The shop in Seoul is called "Fine Luthiers".

Last edited by Wally Taylor; 03-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I think You'll find some Cedar tops on the market. His prices will definitely be climbing year after year. He really has a gift, and some important custom builders have a lot of faith in Drew's ability. I would say buy one sooner as opposed to later. There just are not a lot of his guitars on the used market. He is very popular in South Korea, and You can buy some new ones at a few shops over there, and most are Cedar.The best way to get ahold of one is to get on the list while it's only 2 years. I feel fortunate to have one coming this Spring. I'm also on the list for two more in two years. He is so great to work with, and the detail on his guitars are impeccable. My guitar this Spring is Cedar/Madi with a lot of options. This will be my gigger for good. The next one is going to be Sinker Redwood. Dream guitars had one, and it was a great guitar.
I sold every guitar except for the 1936 Dobro Model 37 Squareneck that my Dad bought brand new. I am going to collect Heinonens from now on. The shop in Seoul is called "Fine Luthiers".

Oh man I remember that redwood one! After this one comes in I’m sure I’ll start scheming for a cedar top. Sounds like ours will be batch brothers! Ha! I have watched just about every video out there on YouTube. The guy that plays for Fine Luthiers is as solid as they come. Drew said he loves it when he plays one of his guitars. It makes his phone ring. Hahaha!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:34 AM

Yep. I'm sure they're all waiting for the weather to warm up so he can start up the finish booth. I can't wait to play it. I'm having a problem with my left arm, and they aren't sure if it will improve. Essentially I can't play at all right now. It's heck getting old. I don't recommend it the way thing are going for me right now.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

WoW! Sounds like a great build!!
I believe Drew just started a very special Madi/Adi SJ build for my client! I will share that build ~
Congrats~
Old 03-07-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yep. I'm sure they're all waiting for the weather to warm up so he can start up the finish booth. I can't wait to play it. I'm having a problem with my left arm, and they aren't sure if it will improve. Essentially I can't play at all right now. It's heck getting old. I don't recommend it the way thing are going for me right now.

Oh man I hope it certainly does improve! Getting old does stink... I can’t wait to see all these great builds!
Old 03-07-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
WoW! Sounds like a great build!!
I believe Drew just started a very special Madi/Adi SJ build for my client! I will share that build ~
Congrats~

Thank you!
Yes I wish more people would share the journey. I never tire of seeing the process.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I agree. The SJ I'm getting this Spring has a lot of extras, plus a Forest Green Hoffee CF case with the out case cover. I figured I may as well do it now. I have two more spots in two years, and they won't have all of the Abalone inlay that this one will have. But, the first one will have Sinker Redwood on the top and probably Madi again. I'm a big fan of Madagascar B&S. I have a friend who has a guitar by another builder, but it's An SJ.with Sinker Redwood and Madagascar. I can hardly put it down when I play it. I really have a great appreciation for Drew's guitars. I've played three of his SJ's, and I can't wait to get mine this Spring. We'll have to keep in touch.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I agree. The SJ I'm getting this Spring has a lot of extras, plus a Forest Green Hoffee CF case with the out case cover. I figured I may as well do it now. I have two more spots in two years, and they won't have all of the Abalone inlay that this one will have. But, the first one will have Sinker Redwood on the top and probably Madi again. I'm a big fan of Madagascar B&S. I have a friend who has a guitar by another builder, but it's An SJ.with Sinker Redwood and Madagascar. I can hardly put it down when I play it. I really have a great appreciation for Drew's guitars. I've played three of his SJ's, and I can't wait to get mine this Spring. We'll have to keep in touch.

Wow man I’m swimming in your wake! 3 of Drew’s guitars?! [emoji95][emoji95][emoji91] yes we definitely have to keep in touch.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:02 PM

Default Heinonen SJ adi/madi

Drew has applied the pore filler and wanted me to see how the wood is going to pop. And pop it does!

Last edited by Bone0305; 03-13-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:03 PM

Drew sent me some better pics. I’m getting extremely excited!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:04 PM

I’m just loving this Madagascar back!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop