The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-21-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Finally made it into the 2000's

We've been on DSL for years. It met our needs, and the only times we noticed just how slow it is was when we downloaded large files, or more than one of us tried to stream video.

A few weeks ago, DSL went out in our area, and when I called AT&T support, one rep I talked to even went so far to tell me the maybe we would be better off with cable.

Well, I heeded that advice and added a 500/Mb internet service to our cable. Kicker is that is just a few dollars a month more than our DSL bill.

Holy crap....... What a difference.

No more waiting on Fire TV to load. Pages load in a blink now. Uploads taking a fraction of the time that they used to. Both Wifey and I can now stream at the same time without any buffrering or lag.

My biggest concern was what to do about our wired devices (three printers and a NAS), which are more than several feet from a cable jack. But, I just replaced my old D-Link wireless router with an ASUS with bridging capability, connected it to the cable WIFI, and everything just works as it always has.

Why did I wait so long you may ask. Up until recently, DSL has been rock solid. Even when hurricanes knocked out our cable for over a week at the time, we always had DSL to fall back on. But in the past year, it has gone out twice for multiple days. We had to use the Wifi hot spot feature of our phones for internet access in the house. It worked, but less than ideal. And we couldn't access our wired devices when on the hot spot.

Anyway, nice to be back in the future.

D
Old 10-21-2020, 04:24 PM

We were DSL for many years too. Starting a few years ago, when it rained or snowed one county over, we did not have service. Two people on at the same time bogged it down. The family gamer hated it, unless she had the house to herself. A pandemic came knocking on my door, forcing me to get better internet so I could work from home. Holy crap is right! I can stream live shows without any problems. Adding new music to my music device is short moments, not forever. The gamer is a very happy gamer. I can be anywhere in the house, instead of chained to a very small area. I really, really like my new internet.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:56 PM

We're still using DSL from Frontier. Of course Frontier became Zipply, they're intent is fiber. Frontier was solid, this transition to Zipply hasn't gone well. We've experienced more outages and for a longer term..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic