The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Where to get new Martin Guitar with great deal?

Hi, Any idea where to get a good deal on new martin guitar?
i read on this forum that we can get 40% off from the list/MSRP (martin web).

Oh and can ship overseas too,
I was thinking about Maury, but then i read on their website that they don't ship outside USA.

thank you
Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that USA Martin dealers are not allowed to ship overseas or they risk losing their dealer agreement with Martin. Yes, several US dealers have sold a lot of guitars at 60% of MSRP, or about 75% of MAP, which is the price most Martins are advertised in the US. But these days, with reduced inventories due to the pandemic, I doubt many are selling them at those low prices. Hopefully, once this is over and production is fully up to speed, and inventories are full again, that sort of pricing will return. But none of that does you much good if you live overseas...

-Ray
Old 10-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Ray got it right. A the last year or two Martin (and others) apparently tightened up the policy of US dealers shipping overseas. Do it and risk losing your dealership status. Current market conditions -- increased demand coupled with limited production -- means that those deep discounts are history for now. You might get 30% off MSRP, but don't count on even that.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:33 AM

I echo what the rest have said. The last time I checked with a forum sponsor, I was offered less than the 40% discount (around 30%) for production models. However, I was still offered the standard high 30s% discount for custom orders.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Ray got it right. A the last year or two Martin (and others) apparently tightened up the policy of US dealers shipping overseas. Do it and risk losing your dealership status. Current market conditions -- increased demand coupled with limited production -- means that those deep discounts are history for now. You might get 30% off MSRP, but don't count on even that.
Another reason to buy used.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I've actually wondered how people approach this as well. I've posted WTB ads and had a couple forum sponsors reply back. Is there an unspoken appropriate way to proactively reach out to forum sponsors about reduced pricing?
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
I've actually wondered how people approach this as well. I've posted WTB ads and had a couple forum sponsors reply back. Is there an unspoken appropriate way to proactively reach out to forum sponsors about reduced pricing?
Usually just calling and politely saying "I'd like to get your best price on a...."
Old 10-21-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that USA Martin dealers are not allowed to ship overseas or they risk losing their dealer agreement with Martin. Yes, several US dealers have sold a lot of guitars at 60% of MSRP, or about 75% of MAP, which is the price most Martins are advertised in the US. But these days, with reduced inventories due to the pandemic, I doubt many are selling them at those low prices. Hopefully, once this is over and production is fully up to speed, and inventories are full again, that sort of pricing will return. But none of that does you much good if you live overseas...

-Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmo View Post
I echo what the rest have said. The last time I checked with a forum sponsor, I was offered less than the 40% discount (around 30%) for production models. However, I was still offered the standard high 30s% discount for custom orders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Another reason to buy used.
thank you for all the information, that's why so hard to find martin guitar at my place, except mexican made some store might have it. american martin might be available at big store (another city miles away), but the stock is very limited. and the price could shoot up around twice as much as USA street price. Last week i asked for price HD-28 is around 4600USD.

I also consider buy online (a used one) or new from reseller overseas (via ebay, etc), but that's not ideal choice..

the nearest place that have martin in asia here is singapore, and japan (so many...), or korea... and of course the price is not cheap and high taxes. but i think hand carry them might be the best option...
Old 10-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slianto View Post
Last week i asked for price HD-28 is around 4600USD.
Wow, list is $3899
Old 10-21-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
Wow, list is $3899
i know right... that's so high compared at US street price.
4600$ is like list price + 20%.

even with the shipping cost and taxes, still too much.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I got 38% off of MSRP in April, from Maury, on a J-40. No muss, no Fuss. Beautiful guitar.

Maury also gave me 40% off on a Custom Shop J-17 last year and then when the deal was completely done and I had my guitr, he called me and credited me another $220 or so.

The J-40 is the most beautiful looking and sounding guitar I've ever played. I think I like the J-17 more though because it's the only one ever made.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:43 PM

Martin is supposedly doing away with their outdated and arcane pricing policy sometime in the near future. The details are a bit vague but it sounds like they will be doing away with the MSRP- MAP-Street price model and just list a set MAP price.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Fair question, but how is this outdated? Seems every larger manufacturer takes this standard approach?
Old 10-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Fair question, but how is this outdated? Seems every larger manufacturer takes this standard approach?
The internet made it so. It’s going to take the big names time to catch up to reality but consumers have way more knowledge than we used to, obviating the utility of these kind of pricing games.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
The internet made it so. It’s going to take the big names time to catch up to reality but consumers have way more knowledge than we used to, obviating the utility of these kind of pricing games.
I don't know of anyone else in the guitar business who does their pricing the Martin way. Although I really like getting these really great deals, I think it will be better for everyone, especially the guitar stores, if Martin priced their stuff like everyone else.

I don't think any of us are starving and the only way we can buy a guitar is with the 40% off deal. I think we just like getting a good deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion