The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 08:02 AM

Default How many of us play at church?

If there is a way to conduct a poll on this forum, let me know how and I will set this thread up to do that. I'm not interested in theological debates here, just curious what percentage of the AGF community is enlisted in their local faith community on some level with the guitar.

A generation ago, churches were regularly turning out pianists who had great facility for sight reading four parts and the like, because it's just what you did as a church musician week after week. These days, I think many churches have transitioned to a rhythm section orientation, which usually includes a guitar or two. I wonder if the result might be a significant boost in acoustic guitar players specifically.

I have played guitar since high school, but it was really my involvement in church music in college that my love for the acoustic guitar, and sent me on a lifelong love of handbuilt acoustic instruments.

These days I pastor a medium-sized congregation, and I'm pretty sure I have more guitars than anybody who plays in the band ;-)
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB

Last edited by Roccorobb; 10-20-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:05 AM

I have been playing in church for about a decade. It’s my only real experience in playing publicly.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 AM

In 1965 I started to learn to play guitar for folk masses. That ended in about 1970.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 AM

I play in a local Catholic church at mass every weekend (though there was several months of inactivity due to Covid) typically for the Saturday mass (that's where the musical director needs me the most). My instrument of choice is my Taylor 150e 12-string, run through a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge amp. The amount of musicians varies from week to week. We usually have at least 2 cantors/singers (I also join in for some of the singing [I have singing experience - I used to sing in glee club in grade school, and along with playing lead guitar, I was one of the lead vocalists in my rock bands]). Combined with the music director who plays piano (a Steinway that was donated by a well-to-do couple) and sings, and myself, these are the regulars at Saturday Mass. With Covid concerns in mind (we have to keep at least 6 feet of spacing between each other [this also limits the number of people we can have onstage for each mass], and wear masks if not singing), we may have 2 additional singers, a flute player, and a drummer (who plays a set of Roland synth drums). Pre-Covid, we occasionally had a bass player, who sometimes played flute, and some guitar. There are other musicians who play and sing at the two Sunday masses (which I occasionally fill in at, if the musical director needs additional musicians).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 10-21-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
In 1965 I started to learn to play guitar for folk masses. That ended in about 1970.
That pretty much sums up my church career too.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-20-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

My church started a "blended" service on Thursday evenings in January of 2010. I started playing that service in March and with the exception of our recent closure (from that subject that's now banned here) have been playing it ever since. We just started back around the first of this month. There's a true contemporary service on Sunday mornings now as well. And while they have another group of people playing that service we readily cross over as needed.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 AM

In the past I have played as part of a worship team (guitars, bass, keyboard, drums, vocals). More recently, before COVID, I played guitar and lead worship as part of an outreach ministry at the county jail substance abuse rehab program. I hope to resume that when conditions allow.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:34 AM

On and off for several years. Because of Covid, and the temporary cessation of singing and the LOA of the organist/pianist, my fiddle/guitar duo has done two services with two more to do. Just prelude, postlude, and incidental music. Prior to this I played occasionally by request. I do not enjoy leading but enjoy life as a sideman.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:58 AM

I have been playing in churches for the past 15 years in all kinds of settings. I have played Mandolin, bass, and electric at different times, but I always end up back on acoustic.(probably due to my ineptitude on the others, haha)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:02 AM

I used to but it got too "rock-y"
Old 10-20-2020, 09:03 AM

I play at my synagogue. Started out songleading at a Jewish summer camp years ago and I now play at our Hebrew school and at family services.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:03 AM

I have been invited to play in church bands many times, but prefer to keep my musical hobby as a hobby. In my experience, turning a hobby into work tends to kill the passion. Having said that, I get that musical talent is a precious gift from above not given to everyone and that we should "go forth and make a joyful noise", so the idea gets considered periodically.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I have been invited to play in church bands many times, but prefer to keep my musical hobby as a hobby. In my experience, turning a hobby into work tends to kill the passion. Having said that, I get that musical talent is a precious gift from above not given to everyone and that we should "go forth and make a joyful noise", so the idea gets considered periodically.
I went kicking and screaming and now they can't get rid of me?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
If there is a way to conduct a poll on this forum, let me know how and I will set this thread up to do that.
Of course, there is. They're pretty common. Instructions in Board FAQs. Board FAQs are at the bottom of the FAQs... tons of instructions there.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:37 AM

I play in our church about once a month. Anything from "special music" to leading hymns, etc. I enjoy it, and at once a month, it is not to demanding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion