The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Seagull Identity

Hello, I am new here. I have quite a few guitars, even though I can't really play, picked up another one for the heard a few days ago but can't seem to find one like it online anywhere. Its a Seagull rosewood cw duet custom serial number starts with 97 so I figure that is the year. Things that make it different that I cant seem to find anywhere is the Seagull word written on the 12th fret, "S" inlay on both sides of the bridge and abalone binding and inlay all the way down the fret board and around the bridge and body. I am assuming it is a predecessor to the Artiest series since it has the inlay seagull on the headstock and inlay on the 12th fret, not the flying bird but the word seagull. I do not have any other seagulls just a Godin Multiac slim. I couldnt get a photo to link. Thanks if anyone has any more information about it.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Welcome to the AGF!

Is this your guitar? Have a look at the Reverb listing to confirm. If it is, it has solid EIR back/sides. Regardless, send Seagull an email with the serial number and a couple pics and they'll reply.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/5353949-s...ood-back-sides

Old 10-17-2020, 03:55 PM

I just found this on Reverb: It's a 1997 CW Duet mahogany. Lots of pics.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/25558513-...-1997-mahogany
Old 10-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Those look a lot like it but they do not have the Seagull script on 12th fret or the abalone bindings and inlays. I got the pics to upload and I did send pics to Seagull to see if they knew anything about it, thanks for the advice.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:18 AM

What a beautiful Seagull! Seagull will respond to your email within a few days with everything you need to know.

Make sure you let us know what you find out.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a beautiful Seagull! Seagull will respond to your email within a few days with everything you need to know.

Make sure you let us know what you find out.
Thanks, I hope they give me some information on it, i got some new bridge pins to match the binding and got it strung up last night sounds pretty good.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:17 AM

The Duet line seems to be one that ran only 2 years - 1998 and 1999. The custom model had solid back and laminate sides with a cedar top. That's a mighty nice looking Seagull with more bling than any I've seen from that period. Let us know how it sounds.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
The Duet line seems to be one that ran only 2 years - 1998 and 1999. The custom model had solid back and laminate sides with a cedar top. That's a mighty nice looking Seagull with more bling than any I've seen from that period. Let us know how it sounds.
Thanks for the info, It has a 97 at the beginning of serial number and 47 for the week so that sounds like the right time frame. I got it setup, put some really light strings on it so the volume wont be as robust, I compared to my Martin D-16R and Gibson J-15 and it stood up pretty well not quite the projection but the neck feels very nice. The duet II has the mic and bridge pickup on it, kind of like the Yamaha CPX-15East that I have. Yea I haven't been able to find any Seagulls with this much bling on it so it might have been a short run, hopefully Seagull with write back with some more information.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF! That's one gorgeous Seagull you have there!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 10-19-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Welcome to the AGF! That's one gorgeous Seagull you have there!
Thanks, I am all about the bling
Old 10-19-2020, 10:48 AM

Seagull got back with me and sent this information:

"Your guitar was built in 1997 and has a solid spruce top, a solid rosewood back, laminated rosewood sides, a mahogany neck, an ebony fingerboard and bridge , a high gloss finish, detailed abalone inlays, LR Baggs Duet electronics, a 24.84" scale and a 1.8" nut width. That model was in production from 1996 to 1999."

So it was built for a few years, must be a couple more like it running around then. I put it with my Godin Mulitac so that the Canadians can stick together, Eh. Thanks for all of ya'lls information.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:29 AM

Howdy, selphp. Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I think it’s wise to separate the guitars by grouping them by national origin. In my music room I’ve got all of my American-made guitars on one side of the room and the Canadian-made guitars on the other, because the American guitars are totally oblivious to the Canadians, while the Canadian guitars are resentful of the USA instruments and want to build a wall and make the American guitars pay for it.

Of course, there are divisions between the Canadian guitars themselves, usually about which Tim Horton doughnut flavors are the best. They can really get into it, with the French Canadian guitars (Seagulls and Simon & Patricks) flinging poutine at my Vancouver Larrivees and muttering dire insults in Québécois French, then the Larrivees respond with hockey sticks and rude gastrointestinal noises.

One of the things that really irks the Vancouver Larrivees is - when they’re mistakenly left on the Godin guitars’ side - is that they have to speak French, or the Seagulls will pretend that they can’t understand them....

Basically when I go in there I have to wear one of those sky blue helmets that UN peacekeeping forces wear when they’re called in to keep warring sides apart.

Anyway, selphp, I’m glad that you’ve joined us. Let me know if I can help you when your guitars start hissing at each other and you’re afraid to intervene for fear of losing a finger or two.

Thanks again for participating with us!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-19-2020, 11:36 AM

By the way, that really is a showstopper of a guitar. I’ll join Ed66 in saying that that’s by far and away the fanciest Seagull I’ve ever seen.

whm
Old 10-19-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selphp30 View Post
Seagull got back with me and sent this information:

"Your guitar was built in 1997 and has a solid spruce top, a solid rosewood back, laminated rosewood sides, a mahogany neck, an ebony fingerboard and bridge , a high gloss finish, detailed abalone inlays, LR Baggs Duet electronics, a 24.84" scale and a 1.8" nut width. That model was in production from 1996 to 1999."

So it was built for a few years, must be a couple more like it running around then. I put it with my Godin Mulitac so that the Canadians can stick together, Eh. Thanks for all of ya'lls information.
Excellent! Quick response from Seagull and I'm glad you know more about your guitar. I let my Canadian made guitars and American made guitars frolic on wall hangers on the same wall but that's just because my other wall has electrics and that just wouldn't work.

I hope you stick around and enjoy your Seagull.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

By day I am an ornithologist. When I saw your post I thought "I can help!". But alas I am late to the party. Nonetheless, here ya go for next time:

Identification guide: five common (sea)gulls of Eastern Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...ification.html

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion