The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Taylor or Collings
Taylor 14 11.97%
Collings 103 88.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 PM

Default Taylor v Colling

In a dilemma right now between the two of these, which one do you guys tend to find better sounding/feel when it comes to fingerpicking? Thinking of getting a Taylor Custom right now but also have a pretty good deal for a Collings OM1 (Euro Spruce), but with COVID can't try them out. Price range is the same for both of them
Old 10-21-2020, 08:14 PM

Collings all day every day. I've never played a Taylor that I would choose over any of the Collings I've played.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Collings all day every day. I've never played a Taylor that I would choose over any of the Collings I've played.
Agreed.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Respectfully, Ford v. Porsche. Collings all day, and worth the extra scratch if you can swing it.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Respectfully, Ford v. Porsche. Collings all day, and worth the extra scratch if you can swing it.
What he said.^
Old 10-21-2020, 09:16 PM

As a former owner of Taylor and Collings, I'd say the following:

Taylor makes a great guitar. My first good quality guitar was a Taylor 710 and it served me well. It was my main axe for 17+ years!

From my ears, Collings makes an incredible guitar. Punch and clarity in spades. Collings ended up being a 'gateway' to me to the world of boutique guitars.

You can't go wrong with either. My ears and hands have a certain preference. If you are looking to choose between a Collings and a Taylor, what ultimately matters isn't my opinion, but yours. Go with what you hear and feel. Don't let the poll bias you!
Old 10-21-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1i View Post
In a dilemma right now between the two of these, which one do you guys tend to find better sounding/feel when it comes to fingerpicking? Thinking of getting a Taylor Custom right now but also have a pretty good deal for a Collings OM1 (Euro Spruce), but with COVID can't try them out. Price range is the same for both of them
Honestly, I prefer Taylor in some cases but a boutique guitar would be better because the luthier pays attention to small details. I would try Taylor and Collings guitars out and pick the one I like from them
Old 10-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Bob Taylor will be the first to tell you that his guitars and Bill’s are completely different animals.

Those two definitely had mutual respect and affection. Bob spoke extensively at Bill’s memorial service and it was heartfelt and very touching.

As for guitars, you should try and decide for yourself. For me, I find the occasional Taylor I wouldn’t mind having ( often a 12 string). As for Collings, I rarely find one I wouldn’t love having ( one notable exception is the Collings 0-12 string, go figure).

Taylors can be excellent. To me, Collings are often special, and then some. Never less than excellent.

Good luck in your quest OP.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 PM

As others have said, Apples and Oranges. Two tonally very different profiles. I only voted Collings because every single one I've played has been very good to great. I've played great Taylors too, but I've played some not-so-great.

I own the only Taylor I've ever played (out of dozens) that I would proudly put up against a Collings (or SCGC, Bourgeois, etc.). No, not the K14c. The Custom GA I just got. Special Custom Order handpicked woods and specs by Ted at LA Guitar Sales. 2015/16 era, x-braced. Cedar with adi bracing over cocobolo. A very "un-Taylor" sound. But the MSRP was way higher than Collings but since it sat in his inventory for a while I got it for a great discount (about what you'd pay for a similar spec'd Collings). But I'll be the first to say it's the single best Taylor I've ever played by a country mile, and not a typical representation of the "regular production line" of Taylors.

I see you're thinking of Taylor Custom. May I ask what the specs are (i.e. tonewoods, body size, scale length, style of bracing, etc.). I'm a big believer based on my two Taylors (and I may buy a third) that the Custom or BTO versions are superior to the standard production lines based on my limited experience with non-standard Taylor builds.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-22-2020, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

For me, it’s no contest - played a goodly number of Taylors, never played one I’d take home. Played a number of Collings, never played one I wouldn’t take home.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:48 AM

The Collings Guitar Company has the best quality control of any guitar company on the planet. I’ve played a bunch of them, and only ever played one that was kind of a clunker. The rest have been absolutely superb instruments.

And you pay for that quality level, but that’s true with anything worth having.

If the prices on both are fairly close to each other, and you’ve played both and like both, get the Collings. If against all odds you don’t bond with it, the resale value on the Collings is much greater.

Sometimes it actually goes up. About ten or twelve years ago Collings was making their SJ model in a number of different tonewoods, but the examples made out of koa were just extraordinary. They retailed for around $3500 to $3800, which I couldn’t afford at the time.

A couple of years ago I decided to go looking for a used one, only to discover to my dismay that the used SJ Koa models were selling for $6000 to $6500, and even higher on the fancier ones.

I couldn’t believe it! But Collings hadn’t made very many of them, and I’m not the only guy who figured out just how good the koa ones really are.

Supply and demand, basic Economics 101.

Collings has resumed making SJ Koas and selling them starting at $8000, which I still can’t afford and never will.

So for all the reasons I just gave you, including the much better chance you have of getting the money you have in it should you ever decide to sell it, I strongly suggest that you buy the Collings.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-22-2020, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Collings all the way for me. That is because of their perfection but basically as I'm something of a traditionalist, and am devoted to Martin guitar designs, however, when I coudn't find what I wanted from Martin, I moved to Collings.

I'll not say anything bad about Taylor and admire them for largely creating their own shapes and sizing methods -but that's where we part - as for me if it doesn't look like a Martin (and occasionally a Gibson) then, to me, it doesn't look right.

I also kinda feel that Taylor has replaced the ovations as the acoustic for electric players.

More power to both.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 AM

Agreed. My Collings OM Koa is simply amazing in tone, quality, and looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The Collings Guitar Company has the best quality control of any guitar company on the planet. I’ve played a bunch of them, and only ever played one that was kind of a clunker. The rest have been absolutely superb instruments.

And you pay for that quality level, but that’s true with anything worth having.

If the prices on both are fairly close to each other, and you’ve played both and like both, get the Collings. If against all odds you don’t bond with it, the resale value on the Collings is much greater.

Sometimes it actually goes up. About ten or twelve years ago Collings was making their SJ model in a number of different tonewoods, but the examples made out of koa were just extraordinary. They retailed for around $3500 to $3800, which I couldn’t afford at the time.

A couple of years ago I decided to go looking for a used one, only to discover to my dismay that the used SJ Koa models were selling for $6000 to $6500, and even higher on the fancier ones.

I couldn’t believe it! But Collings hadn’t made very many of them, and I’m not the only guy who figured out just how good the koa ones really are.

Supply and demand, basic Economics 101.

Collings has resumed making SJ Koas and selling them starting at $8000, which I still can’t afford and never will.

So for all the reasons I just gave you, including the much better chance you have of getting the money you have in it should you ever decide to sell it, I strongly suggest that you buy the Collings.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-22-2020, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Truer words have never been written.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:08 AM

Not to derail this thread, but I don’t see a lot of Pro performers and artists playing Collings guitars. Certainly, a lot of them could afford them. I wonder why that is?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion