The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Did you buy your S1 Pro before about Sept. 2018? You may have this issue.

Got to the cancer hospital for my regular gig and found that my S1 Pro battery was completely dead. Very strange. Plugged it in and played the gig.

I got home and found my slightly newer S1 that was charged at the same time still gave me 4 flashes. I looked on the Bose Forum and there was a thread about this issue near the top of the S1 Pro section. It's very common and a problem. I called Bose, they're aware of the problem and are sending me a brand new unit and a label to return the old one.

They told me there's an issue in S1s made in June and July of 2018 (so far) and they're replacing them all.

Check yours to see if it holds the charge for weeks when not being used!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Is it the S1 or the battery? I got one of the first ones in February.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Thanks

I bought mine late September. No issues holding a charge. I doubt mine is from June or July as they were selling pretty well before that and were in short supply. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I got one of the earlier ones though I can't remember exactly when but my NAD post was March so I guess it's really early! I've never had a problem but then I hardly go weeks with leaving it off and unplugged. I generally leave it plugged in on trickle charge and use it almost daily for practice and then just unplug and take it for gigs on battery power although I always do have the cords with me just in case.

Do you know if they are reaching out to those with older models (like a recall) or is the onus on us to contact them? I wouldn't mind getting a brand new one free!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM

Default Bose S1 charge loss

Aero, I'm pretty sure it's the unit and *not* the battery. My unit has the latest
firmware update.

My unit loses about 10% charge per day according to the Bose Connect app.
I even tried disabling bluetooth by holding in the bluetooth light for about 10
seconds. But the charge still goes down about 10% per day.

I tried charging up the battery completely then removing it from the unit for a
full week. When I reinstalled the battery, the Bose Connect app indicated the
charge was still 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I need to call Bose customer support. I have not done it yet.
I wish I had not thrown out the box it came in. :-P

_Roger
Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 PM

bought the one I have on june 6... I don't see a problem here... Went a long time, at least 4 weeks without plugging it in. Seemed to still be holding a full charge, thx for sharing...
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 PM

Good to know. I bought both of mine in late May but have tried a few different batteries since they have been acting up. I will have to call Bose too and see if I can try getting both of mine replaced. It is a little frustrating not being able to count on them being charged--or knowing if they ever are fully charged. Sometimes my charging indicator on them goes for a full day like it is still charging.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

First I've heard of an issue... other than mine. I got mine in May and it is not holding a charge. I use it plugged in most of the time, but if not used for even a couple weeks, the battery is dead.

I just got off the phone with Bose Support. They are replacing the unit (after they receive mine), but I do have some concerns with some of the responses I am seeing in the thread on the Bose Forum regarding new units having the same issue. I have other Bose equipment, and this is the first time I have had to contact Support - I have to say it was a positive experience, other than being without the S1 while being shipped and another unit returned. I gave them the serial number and purchase date, told them the symptoms... and no hesitation with replacing it. I have been impressed with the S1, and (at this point), I am impressed with Bose Support.

For Scott (Methos): if your battery is holding the charge during non-use, I wouldn't be looking for a replacement. I bought mine on the first day that the battery was included at the $599 price (and no backpack, although I did buy a backpack from a forum member). With some units being replaced in December and January (as per the Bose Forum), and still having the same situation.

With no thought of how long the charge should last, I thought I just had a crappy battery. On the Bose Forum, they are saying the discharge rate should be around 10% per month.

We'll see how it plays out.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I’ll have to check mine out.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 PM

Default Did you buy your S1 Pro before about Sept. 2018? You may have this issue.

At least one of mine won’t hold a charge.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 AM

There is a long thread on the Bose S1 forum. It's not the battery, it's the speaker. Both of mine suffer from the battery drain and have to be replaced.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 AM

I came home from work one day a few weeks ago and mine was dead. That seemed weird because I thought it was on 3 flashes that morning.

I plugged it in an it's been plugged in until just now after reading this. I was unsure about leaving it plugged in and probably even stared a thread about it. It's winter in Illinois and I haven't used it outside (obviously) since I got it. It was ordered in Nov. of 2018.

I just unplugged it and will monitor how long it holds a charge.

Is there a serial number "break point" if you will?

How do you read the serial # to know when it was built?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

For Scott (Methos): if your battery is holding the charge during non-use, I wouldn't be looking for a replacement. I bought mine on the first day that the battery was included at the $599 price (and no backpack, although I did buy a backpack from a forum member). With some units being replaced in December and January (as per the Bose Forum), and still having the same situation.
I'm not particularly eager to be without an amp while I send it back so I'll hold off. But I do plan on doing some 'testing' of the issue. I know there have been occasions when I've left it not on the power when not in use for at least a few days, maybe a week and come back and still had power on it so maybe it's a non-issue with mine. It makes me wonder just how long it needs to sit, not plugged in and not being used for it to completely discharge. Are we talking days? Weeks? Months? Is it every unit made before a certain date?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post

It’s the S1. Does yours drain completely if it’s off and not used for 2-3 weeks?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I bought mine late September. No issues holding a charge. I doubt mine is from June or July as they were selling pretty well before that and were in short supply. Thanks for the heads up.

Yup. The one I bought in August has the problem. The one I bought in September does not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification