The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-21-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The one with the trio? Much more going on in that one of course. Challenging to mix due to all the bleed, but it's hard to go too far wrong with Michael Manring playing.

Sorry. I was comparing the second and third videos. I prefer the second to the third. I’m listening to the first right now and it sounds wonderful! I do love live recordings!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Sorry. I was comparing the second and third videos. I prefer the second to the third. I’m listening to the first right now and it sounds wonderful! I do love live recordings!
Ah, I don't know anything about how that was recorded, I just know they did it in some studio and lipsync'd for the video.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:43 PM

Yeah, I get that. I love the energy and symbiotic relationship between musicians in a live recording. Yeah, a multi-tracked performance is technically perfect, but it misses much of the magic that I love in music.

It's sort of comparing live action stunts in a movie to CGI. Did the guitar player really play that solo like that or was it patched together from fragments? We're the drums played or programmed?

For some types of music, multitracking is appropriate. I love Trever Horn's production. My son is really good at it. The Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece as were Pet Sounds and Sergeant Pepper's! But can you imagine what James Brown's albums would have sounded like built up track by track? Or Chicago or Blood Sweat and Tears albums?

I have a bunch of musician friends with self produced albums, and usually they sound polished, but lifeless and dull. A lot of times you can trace that lack of life all the way back to the very first track that they played with the metronome in their headphones.

I know I have several recordings like that...
Old 10-21-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

This is a little different than where I thought you were going with this thread. There are good examples of live recording and bad, just as there are good studio recordings and bad. Among those options, I like the good ones, regardless of whether they were live or in the studio :-)
Old 10-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Excuse the rant. I like both types of recording, and will continue to chase the best sound in both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD