The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-20-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Committed

Thank you all for the feedback, advice and the many other educational (and entertaining) posts.

I have had a chance to play a Touring a couple of times now. After the first, I didn't think I could get used to a scale that short. Any chording above the ninth fret felt VERY challenged for space. I left a bit sad.

Over the following week of playing my current guitars and thinking a bit, I went back and played a Touring again for a while.

It got easier. I also realized I don't spend as much time on the upper frets as I used to... or used to think I did!

I have bought a new Touring -- Standard finish, Gold, EVO. It should be ready within about a week or two. It's a big buy for a little guitar - but I'm very excited for my first CF!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Congrats ! I'm looking forward to your reports after you get one. I love my Sable so much, I have to admit that a Touring enters my mind once in a while !
Old 10-20-2020, 09:24 PM

I really like both but wish McPherson wouldn't stop there. Tonally both the Touring and Sable are very nice but I've found that I like my fretting hand a little closer to me, like the Shorty was. The Touring blew me away- literally. However, I know I couldn't get used to that scale as 24" was the shortest I've ever owned and I couldn't even get used to that. Having the Touring in my hand was an odd experience; it felt toyish but sang like a smooth operator.

Why not an in between guitar? Something like a 12 fretter with a 24.9" in scale? That would be cool! They could call it a McPherson Marten.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 AM

Congrats Youngblood on ur ordered Touring, I feel you will love it!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Congrats, Youngblood. You should be pretty happy with the Touring. The offer still stands to get together for a "show and shine" if you get through Boise. It's not like WE are going anywhere lately....
Old 10-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Thanks, all. I look forward to sharing my thoughts after picking it up and getting comfortable with it.

Steelvibe - I know exactly what you mean about another size. After playing it the first time, I kept saying the same thing to myself, that just another inch-and-a-half or two would really be something. Then I thought about closets, trunks and airplane overheads. I've got a big focus on portability and accessibility everywhere possible!

Steve
Old 10-21-2020, 08:20 PM

Don't normally have much useful info for this forum as of late but I did buy and return a McPherson touring model a couple of weeks ago.
After a lot of research and contemplating I purchased it and my concern was scale length as well because I play full size dreads every day, I was looking for a practice and rv guitar that I could leave lay around etc.
While it does fit that bill, I found the scale length of no concern at all, went from my dreads to this little guitar with no problem and it has a very nice neck profile, I found the nut a bit wide though as I prefer 23/32 on all my guitars.
Having said that,,,,,after about 15 min, of play and trying several times the guitar made me sneeze get a irritated throat and eye irritation. And not from my bad playing.....the guitar was venting off some kind of chemical or paint vapor I could not smell but it was terrible! Thinking it was just me being silly I put it down several times over two days and kept going back to the same reaction. May be a fluke and just this one, but ......
The other thing I didn't care for was the rough finish on the back pretty much like sandpaper heavy grit! The pick up however was excellent, and the tone was very good imo for CF, good bass and sustain.
I really wanted to like it but I could not get past the above mentioned problem.
A nice concept but just not for me. Jerry
Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Jerry, Good information all around, but I'm sorry for the cause of your trouble. I didn't see that one coming, and obviously it was a strange thing to narrow down. I hope the return was painless wherever you bought. Thank you for the feedback of your experience.

It would be interesting to know if you've tried other Tourings or other CF guitars from any manufacturer with the same results. Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber