The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Default For Elizabeth Ann - an original fro my wife

In honor of our upcoming 25th anniversary (next June 14th) I wrote this for my dear wife who somehow got the idea that ALL of my songs are sad!! Thanks for listening and your comments. BTW she hasn't heard it yet. I may try to capture a better version.

For Elizabeth Ann

The reference to "Hear Without a Home" is another one of my mushy love songs.

Heart Without a Home

For Elizabeth Ann

Spent my life time running
Never settled down
Gonna find that special heart
In the next town

First time I saw your face
My running was done
Hit me like a thunderbolt
In the mid day sun

Dark brown hair
Pretty blue eyes
Soft white freckled skin
Took me by surprise

You held my heart
In the palm of your hand
Now I’m down one knee
Asking to be your man

Chorus
My running is done
No place I’d rather be
Under God’s sun

My running is done
Now that I found you
And you are my one
My running is done

Years have gone by
A few tears did fall
But through all those times
Our love stood tall

You by my side
Through thick and thin
I’d like to unwind the clock
Just to love you again

Each new day
Was the best of my life
I thank God every night
For you my wife

Bridge

You took this “Heart
Without a Home”
Built out life around it
Called it our own

And I stand here
Warm June day
Tell you that I love you
In the very same way

My running is done
No place I’d rather be
Under God’s sun

My running is done
All these years later and
Our life’s just begun
My running is done

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Sweet song and a nice thing to do - hope she liked it!

True, the words are nice and positive, but the melody is still kind of sad (which sounds very nice - but your wife might have a point... ) The other song is also very nice - quite a fine melody and some very good strumming and singing!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
Sweet song and a nice thing to do - hope she liked it!

True, the words are nice and positive, but the melody is still kind of sad (which sounds very nice - but your wife might have a point... ) The other song is also very nice - quite a fine melody and some very good strumming and singing!
For a second there it ALMOST sounded like you were agreeing with her!!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Hey Ranger1964 . . . That was a nice song with very direct and heartfelt lyrics . . I enjoyed listening.

To be able to share your feelings and emotions with the one you love through your music is a great gift for you and your wife.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Very lovely song. What a nice way to show her what she means to you.

And with this being your 25th, you must have done more right than just this song!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarnucci View Post
Very lovely song. What a nice way to show her what she means to you.

And with this being your 25th, you must have done more right than just this song!
Thanks. She's the best and deserves much more than a song. I was thinking of maybe waiting until I was REALLY in the dog house to give it to her!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 AM

Roy, Happy 25th Anniversary to you both! That in itself these days is an accomplishment worthy of celebration! Your song to her is obviously from the heart, and I have no doubt that she will hear it that way!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks all!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-17-2010, 06:01 AM

I gave the song to my wifey and she cried and cried. She did mention that my voice has a "different sound" and I realized that in the previous version I sang from the back of my throat, so I did a new version in which I think the vocals are improved. This is the same link as above. I replaced the previous version.

For Elizabeth Ann

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM

Roy, I am so glad she liked it, and I am not surprised it touched her heart. The lyrics were well crafted. Unfortunately, I can't hear the new version; the player yields an error loading message when trying to play the track.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Roy, I am so glad she liked it, and I am not surprised it touched her heart. The lyrics were well crafted. Unfortunately, I can't hear the new version; the player yields an error loading message when trying to play the track.
Bob, I noticed a "digital skip" in the new version so I was uploading a new one. Give it a try now. I have also noticed that occasionally Soundclick gives me an error and I have to dump my cache and then all is good.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Very nice! I'm sure your wife was thrilled with it. I'll echo the sentiments previously made -- this is obviously a very heart-felt composition. It's tough to go wrong when you've written something from the heart.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 AM

Roy, the new version is definitely better! I can hear the lyrics much clearer than the first rendition. That's the voice you need to use in all of your songs! Nicely done, my friend!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 07-18-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Roy, the new version is definitely better! I can hear the lyrics much clearer than the first rendition. That's the voice you need to use in all of your songs! Nicely done, my friend!
Thanks Bob. I did this CRAZY thing. I sat up straight, relaxed and tried to sing from my diaphragm. Crazy eh??!!!!! What happens often is that as I relax my diction gets horrible. Also, I record everything live so there is always that bit of stress too. I really need to figure out how to record a guitar track without vocals so I can relax more when singing. I seem to lose the tempo when I don't sing and play at the same time. I think I may take a track that is pretty good and listen to it while I play along and then do the same while I just sing along and the mix those 2 and lose the original and see how that works.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-18-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Thanks Bob. I did this CRAZY thing. I sat up straight, relaxed and tried to sing from my diaphragm. Crazy eh??!!!!! What happens often is that as I relax my diction gets horrible. Also, I record everything live so there is always that bit of stress too. I really need to figure out how to record a guitar track without vocals so I can relax more when singing. I seem to lose the tempo when I don't sing and play at the same time. I think I may take a track that is pretty good and listen to it while I play along and then do the same while I just sing along and the mix those 2 and lose the original and see how that works.
Roy, I sometimes use a "scratch" track, and I think that works very well! A scratch track is exactly what you described...one that I record with guitar and vocal live. Then, I record the guitar on a new track while listening to the scratch track, and I add vocals on a separate track after that. I do this mostly for old songs that I play without thinking...It seems when I try to play them without singing, I screw up either the timing, the chords, or both! I also find a click track useful, especially when I plan on adding other instruments.

ReverbNation (originals)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell