The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Guest4562

Default Question About YouTube Layout

I want to expand the number of my videos on YT, and therefore want to organize my channel layout. I see many have sections set up titled "Covers," "Originals" etc. I do see that there is a mechanism for setting up sections, but I don't see where I can choose the titles of the sections, or how I move the various videos into them. Any illumination on this would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I want to expand the number of my videos on YT, and therefore want to organize my channel layout. I see many have sections set up titled "Covers," "Originals" etc. I do see that there is a mechanism for setting up sections, but I don't see where I can choose the titles of the sections, or how I move the various videos into them. Any illumination on this would be appreciated.
Youtube is confusing as *ell. And Google changes the procedures with very little or no notice. Are you talking about song lists? If not - just ignore what I write.

You can set those lists up in the video manager at the top. Click that and then on the left, you can see 'playlists'. Click that. Then at the top right, you'll see "new playlist". Click that.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 AM

"Youtube is confusing as *ell. And Google changes the procedures with very little or no notice."

Well put!

(and quite annoying)

Ty Ford
Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM

I agree - annoying as **ll!!!! I have 2 youtube channels (one for my own music, and one for other stuff) and so its twice as annoying!
I've found when I upload a new video it won't show up on the 'front page' until I add it to a Playlist. The page will actually show 'no recent uploads' - WTF - until I do that! And the convoluted way you have to find to change your 'feature' video is even worse! I can never remember how to do it, and have to search for an hour first.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
"Youtube is confusing as *ell. And Google changes the procedures with very little or no notice."

Well put!

(and quite annoying)

Ty Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I agree - annoying as **ll!!!! I have 2 youtube channels (one for my own music, and one for other stuff) and so its twice as annoying!

I've found when I upload a new video it won't show up on the 'front page' until I add it to a Playlist. The page will actually show 'no recent uploads' - WTF - until I do that! And the convoluted way you have to find to change your 'feature' video is even worse! I can never remember how to do it, and have to search for an hour first.
God only knows where your new videos will show up.

Youtube is a necessity. But it is so stupidly designed now.
And each new modification makes it worse.

That's the thing about Google products. They start out great and grow consistently worse with each new 'improvement'.

Youtube

---
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Does anyone use Vimeo? I have been told that they do not mangle the sound quality as much when uploading.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 09-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Does anyone use Vimeo? I have been told that they do not mangle the sound quality as much when uploading.
I haven/t tried but it is full HD compatible for Video so perhaps better for sound also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
No. Next stop - VIMEO.

Youtube

---

Old 09-15-2014, 08:41 AM

I've never explored Vimeo, please let us know what you discover. Do you get your own 'channel', with a customizable layout?

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 AM

In addition to YouTube being super confusing sometimes, I also hate the way it has gotten all wrapped up with Google. If you have multiple e-mail accounts, and multiple YouTube accounts, logging in to YouTube can just be a challenge sometimes - I run into a problem where YouTube/Google simply won't even give me the option of logging in to my YouTube account that is linked to a Yahoo account.

And at one point when YouTube noticed that I had a Google account it just decided that that was going to be my e-mail address linked to the YouTube account and didn't even give the option of saying no.

And then there is the matter of being forced into signing up for a Google Plus account (without saying yes I could not proceed with signing in to YouTube). Why do I even want a Google plus account?! And apparently one of my recently uploaded videos got posted to my Google plus account without me even knowing it.

This can all be SOOO frustrating!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
In addition to YouTube being super confusing sometimes, I also hate the way it has gotten all wrapped up with Google. If you have multiple e-mail accounts, and multiple YouTube accounts, logging in to YouTube can just be a challenge sometimes - I run into a problem where YouTube/Google simply won't even give me the option of logging in to my YouTube account that is linked to a Yahoo account.

And at one point when YouTube noticed that I had a Google account it just decided that that was going to be my e-mail address linked to the YouTube account and didn't even give the option of saying no.

And then there is the matter of being forced into signing up for a Google Plus account (without saying yes I could not proceed with signing in to YouTube). Why do I even want a Google plus account?! And apparently one of my recently uploaded videos got posted to my Google plus account without me even knowing it.

This can all be SOOO frustrating!
Yep. Sure wish they would give folks the option to use YouTube as a standalone product again.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Eureka! I just figured out the Section thing. Maybe there is a better way to do this, but here is what I figured out.

1) Create a Playlist of your own videos. Add whichever videos you want to the group, and name the playlist accordingly

2) Choose to Add a Section; Under Select Content, choose> Single Playlist

3) Under Choose a Playlist, select> My Playlists

4) Under Find Playlists, choose the Playlist you created in Step 1

5) Choose> Done

Once the section is added, then it will appear at the bottom of the page. Hover your mouse out to the right and an "up arrow" icon will appear, allowing you to move the section up the page.

If you visit my YT channel, you can see where I've added sections for:
- Keola Beamer Collection
- Pat Terry Group
- GC-Holiday

https://www.youtube.com/user/gacochrane

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Another frustrating YT thng - when you are editing your playlist (adding a video, or re-ordering it), not everything appears, only the first 10(?) videos. I did a 'sort by date added' and other than the most-recent video at the top, the previously-added 3 videos still didn't show. But when I went to view the top video itself, they were all in order in the right hand selection area.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD