The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Default Old Builder/New Member

Just a short intro: I just learned of this forum recently from my tablemate at the Healdsburg show-and new friend Stephen Sheriff.
I began my building career in 1979 studying under master Bozo Podunavac and then building several "limited edition" guitars for him under his name. After building and repairing instruments for three years in San Diego, I changed trades (yacht building) for a couple of decades, while still finishing an instrument every couple of years to keep my hand in the craft. For the past several years, I've once again concentrated on guitar making, selling most of my instruments locally.

I attached a couple of photos of a sapele/sitka OM cutaway I finished a while back (hopefully--I'm not a computer wiz). Also, I plan on starting a build thread on a macassar and lutz or sitka OM. Anyone interested in learning more, drop in on my website.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...chael_2010.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...chael_2010.jpg
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome to the forum Michael. Sorry I missed you at HB. Perhaps we will cross paths at the next show? Looking forward to your participation.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Hi, Tim,
Thanks for the welcome. I was going to make a point of stopping by and saying hi, and thanks for the tips on finishing padauk. But, man, as a first time exhibitor at the Healdsburg festival, I was overwelmed, and stuck close to my table in anticipation of that elusive sale. I trust we'll cross paths here, and hopefully in person some time.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Michael.

Chris.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi, Michael! C'mon in, the water's fine! Welcome to the AGF!

It was my good fortune to share a table with Michael at "the Healdsburg" earlier this month, and right away, we struck up a great friendship. Michael has lived quite a storied life, and I felt like I was in the presence of a modern legend while we passed the time over the show weekend.

Michael's guitars are truly world class, in all respects. They are impeccably crafted, with classic elegance of design, and they sound splendid--reminiscent of 1940's Martins. Lots of people came around to the back of the table to try them out, and despite all the clatter and din in the room, those guitars came through with punch and authority--and you could hear also a sweetness and complexity during the quieter moments. I was VERY impressed with the quality of Michael's guitars. A bit humbled, in fact.

I was a little surprised to hear that Michael had learned The Craft from Bozo Podunavac. Bozo's guitars were spectacular pieces of work, with completely over-the-top, old world European decoration; fabulous, if a bit gaudy, rosettes and body trim that you'd expect to see on a special commission Louis XIV guitar. Bozo guitars are also known for being quite heavily constructed.
Leo Kottke played a Bozo 12-string back in the 70's, and it sounded awesome.
Michael's guitars are built light and responsive, and the decoration is the epitome of classic elegance; quite a contrast to his mentor's baroque creations.
Here's a photo of our newest AGF Sponsor, Michael Propsom, at the HGF, with a couple of his guitars out front:

...and another...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Hi again Michael, I did a double take when you were on your first post and a sponsor!
Nice guitars. Nice review Edwinson
Some time please pop onto Open Mike and post some photo's of your Boat work!
Would love to see some.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I also want to mention that Michael is also a highly accomplished PLAYER of guitars. Every time he was tuning up in the mornings of the show, I was treated to displays of his impressive chops. It was like having a top-form John Fahey sitting there at the table. BTW, Fahey was a proud owner of one of Michael's guitars.
Michael emailed me to tell of playing a few gigs on his journey back from the HGF. I wish I could've been there!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Wow, first of all, Stephen thanks for the great welcome and review. Here's where I should post a shot of me blushing out of modesty. And I have to reciprocate. Your instruments were impeccable--the artistic vision and execution impressive. And just overall, it was a kick hanging out together and trading little building tips.

Regarding Bozo: a fantastic experience learning and building under him. Also, a fringe benefit was meeting John Fahey through Bozo, and subsequently selling him one of my guitars back in 1984.

Oh, and Mr. Kitchen Guitars: If I ever develop scanner capabilities, and find a decent pic or two, I'll definitely post them. Meanwhile I'll just be reveling in this new playground, the AGF.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Michael

welcome to this excellent forum. the pictures of your guitars look splendid and i am headed right now to your website. the one the young lady is playing has caught my eye.

definitely post some more of your work here.

(thanks for guiding him this way S)

d
Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM

hi, daryl,
Yeah, that's a malaysian blackwood/WRC parlor--which I'm planning on naming Grand Parlor because it's lower bout is 13-5/8"--closer to an O's width. I was wowed by the sound this combination projects.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Nice website, and nice guitars. I'm looking forward to reading your posts here.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Welcome Michael. Good to meet you at Healdsburg. Wish I had a chance to play those guitars though!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Musical minimalist

Welcome aboard....here are the pics in the links you posted. Very nice, I'm a sucker for a florentine!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks so much for the upload. Eventually, I'll learn how to do that myself.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Very nice work, Michael! Welcome!

Joel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop