The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-03-2016, 06:40 AM

Default Eliminating rattle on L-5, pickup is a bit loose in pickup mounting ring

I've finally zeroed in on the source of the rattle on my L-5. The neck pickup is rattling against the pickup mounting ring. I'm thinking the resolution will be to stuff something in between the pickup and the ring - perhaps a thin piece of rubber?

Any suggestions?

I found the picture below on the internet. Mine is still mounted to the guitar, and I'd rather not have to remove anything to perform the fix.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:49 AM

I use ordinary rubber cement - made for gluing paper. It stops rattles and is VERY easily removed.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 AM

Felt pads on the inside of the pickup ring. Unfortunately this requires removal of the pickup/ring assembly. A rattling archtop can drive a person crazy!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 AM

Rip a bit off a fag packet, that often works.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I use ordinary rubber cement - made for gluing paper. It stops rattles and is VERY easily removed.
Where and how do you apply it to keep the PU from rattling?
TIA
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 PM

Any business card folded in two or a medium celluloid guitar pick jammed in between the humbucker and mounting ring will do. Fag paper, yeah.

Surgical tube in place of the springs. I wrap plumber's tape around the springs to damp them.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Any business card folded in two or a medium celluloid guitar pick jammed in between the humbucker and mounting ring will do. Fag paper, yeah.

Surgical tube in place of the springs. I wrap plumber's tape around the springs to damp them.
Thanks Jabs, at the moment i'm using a couple of reeds for the purpose. They are fairly okay but not a hundred percent remedy. So i guess i will have to use plumber's tape to improve it as you suggest.

But i'm still wondering how rubber cement can be applied for the purpose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops