The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I just got a note from Jim asking whether I would care for a special set of old growth BRW he has been saving for many years.

Not in my wildest dreams was I expecting a set like this:

Please tell me you said YES

That is an amazing set!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Please tell me you said YES

That is an amazing set!!!
You bet.

I couldn't be more excited about a set of BRW...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM

I just heard an sj olson cedar top with Koa B&S wow that really got me!
If I ever find a used one I will have to try it out. If you go to you tube you can hear the clip .
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
I just heard an sj olson cedar top with Koa B&S wow that really got me!
If I ever find a used one I will have to try it out. If you go to you tube you can hear the clip .
You mean this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aeu_G83Ho

The playing is very nice indeed.

IMO the back and sides won't have that much of an impact on the sound of a cedar top SJ.

For having played mahogany/cedar and rosewood/cedar SJs back to back, my feeling is that the koa/cedar would sound just about in between two flavours that are already quite similar.

I can see the rosewood making a difference for strummers but for my own needs it really boils down to the looks, rarity and prestige of the wood.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You mean this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aeu_G83Ho

The playing is very nice indeed.

IMO the back and sides won't have that much of an impact on the sound of a cedar top SJ.

For having played mahogany/cedar and rosewood/cedar SJs back to back, my feeling is that the koa/cedar would sound just about in between two flavours that are already quite similar.

I can see the rosewood making a difference for strummers but for my own needs it really boils down to the looks, rarity and prestige of the wood.
Yes this is the one.
I just love the sweet tone the koa gives but if I had a chance on that set you showed us well let's just say that is a chance in a life time you don't pass by!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM

Joe,

That wood shown in the picture sent by Jim is simply amazing. However I would prefer a straight grained BRW which I am told is more stable in the long run albeit very hard to find now.

Perhaps Jim may have some with him. The BRW on your Kraut is possibly the best that I have seen on any guitar till date.

Keyshore
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
Joe,

That wood shown in the picture sent by Jim is simply amazing. However I would prefer a straight grained BRW which I am told is more stable in the long run albeit very hard to find now.

Perhaps Jim may have some with him. The BRW on your Kraut is possibly the best that I have seen on any guitar till date.

Keyshore
I chose that set because I like it -- and I've learned from a very early age to rely on my own judgment and nobody else's.

I like straight grained BRW on a Martin replica -- but on an Olson? Not quite.

For every luthier who obsesses about straight grain, you'll find at least one (if not more) who doesn't seem to worry too much.

Jim prides himself in building instruments that are tough enough for the road and I trust that he wouldn't build with a piece that would be likely to cause him headaches.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM

While Jim warms up in Arizona, I've been looking at various options for my next SJ.

This set of BRW is so spectacular that it would be a shame not to indulge in some inlays...

I came across this picture from 1992 on Jim's site -- and some of the upscale appointments (42 style extension and vine inlay) seem to work really well with Jim's "vintage" specs (three-ring rosette, black pickguard).

Last edited by JoeCharter; 01-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
While Jim warms up in Arizona, I've been looking at various options for my next SJ.

This set of BRW is so spectacular that it would be a shame not to indulge in some inlays...

I came across this picture from 1992 on Jim's site -- and some of the upscale appointments (42 style extension and vine inlay) seem to work really well with Jim's "vintage" specs (three-ring rosette, black pickguard).

Mau Lao stars in Olson Guitars' newest film, The Call of the Abalone

Whichever way you go, it is bound to be spectacular. Have you considered any other type of full fingerboard inlay besides the vine? I know there are some other amazing ones on his website. Don't get me wrong, I love the vine inlay...just throwing ideas out there.

Here are some:

Last edited by Guest 213; 01-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Yeah...that's definitely less blingy.
Have you forgotten why you were ordering this new Olsen? LOL
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Isn't this supposed to be the "beater" Olson so the Tree Of Life doesn't get too dinged up?

In any event, looks like a cool set of BRW.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
That's what I was thinking. Isn't this supposed to be the "beater" Olson so the Tree Of Life doesn't get too dinged up?

My theory is he's setting us up for Olson #3. This is a hybrid beater. #3 will be the true "beater"
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Mau Lao stars in Olson Guitars' newest film, The Call of the Abalone

Whichever way you go, it is bound to be spectacular. Have you considered any other type of full fingerboard inlay besides the vine? I know there are some other amazing ones on his website. Don't get me wrong, I love the vine inlay...just throwing ideas out there.
When I saw how the inlay come out on pictures, I figured I probably wanted another one...

The top example that you referenced is Jim's partial vine inlay. It is nice but I prefer the full vine.

And the second one is actually one of my favourites from Jim's recent batch -- very good eye, Jon...

However, as much as Larry Robinson's work is truly outstanding, I usually prefer my "collectible" to come from one artist rather than a collaboration.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
Yeah...that's definitely less blingy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post

Guys, if I ever go for the paua edging again, you can give me a hard time.

But please understand that bling is addictive so I have to quit one step at a time...
Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Good call on a spruce/brw. I really like having one along side of my cedar/brw SJ. Compliment each other very well. The Italian spruce I have on mine (in the picture) sounds insane now that it has had time to open up. Routinely get compliments on it.

Just sold my Venue, and am now using a Pz-Pre with Fishman Reverb and Fishman Delay in the loop into FOH. Sounds great with the Lb6.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop