The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Guest 928

Is Joan's new machine a singer?
Old 03-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Any change of a close up on some of the finer details? Frets, inlays, bridges? I'm curious if it's applique? That's a great quilt!
It is applique, stitched in place (all 294 pieces of fabric), then a quilting pattern.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Is Joan's new machine a singer?
No, but her husband is. (rimshot)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It is applique, stitched in place (all 294 pieces of fabric), then a quilting pattern.
Thanks...thought so! That is a TON of work, with those fiddly little pieces.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:05 PM

That's some fine quilting for sure.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No, but her husband is. (rimshot)
I'll try the veal
Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
The sin of neglect. I haven't been playing guitar much for the past several months. Some of you may know I had a total hip replacement at the end of April. Other than not being able to comfortably sit at my favorite guitar chair for a while, that didn't hinder my playing. After a muscle tear that set back my recovery for a bit, I went after the exercise and physical therapy like a full-time job. I had a goal: to get back to riding my scoot as soon as possible.

Jim
Welcome back. I had hip resurfacing in November and I am slowly getting back to normal life (I hope). I was out of work for three weeks but it's been longer to get back, pain free, into things I enjoyed doing before the pain from a bad hip restricted my activities. Music always helps. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
Welcome back. I had hip resurfacing in November and I am slowly getting back to normal life (I hope). I was out of work for three weeks but it's been longer to get back, pain free, into things I enjoyed doing before the pain from a bad hip restricted my activities. Music always helps. Good luck with your recovery.
Thanks, Frances. I am much better physically than before the surgery. Not pain-free, but it isn't even remotely close to what it was before (and for the first few weeks after) the surgery. It is a process.

From a playing perspective: I can once again play while standing!
Old 03-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

On Saturday, a friend of Mark's (my music partner) joined us for some playing. In honor of St Patrick's Day, Tom showed us an Irish song. Tom had never done any recording, so we did the song with the three of us, then had Tom sing a lead vocal over that.

For anyone keeping track, that is my Emerald X20 in the background.

Today, when Mark and I got together, we recorded other tracks - Mark on bass, accordion (snyth) and background vocals; me on guitar, percussion (tambourine and snare), and background vocals.

I'm looking forward to hearing Tom's reaction to the completed song.

With the current social distancing, we won't be going out for St Paddy's Day, but will have corned beef (Joan cooking) at our daughter and son-in-law's house. In celebration of my Irish side of the family.

Take care folks. We may not be going out, but we can still make music!

Jim
Old 06-12-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

It has been several months since I posted to this thread. Amazing how the world has changed in that short time. We have been staying pretty close to home the past 2 1/2 months, but plan to head out in the motorhome next week. Once again, the summer months will hopefully be filled with plenty of time on two wheels, but I won't be neglecting the guitar playing this year.

Not being able to get out with friends, I have been doing semi-regular "stayin' at home" music videos. Mark (my music partner) and I have been writing more music. I enjoy the collaboration and plan to continue as much as living in a motorhome for several months allows.

I bought a Shure MV88+ mic (video kit) that makes the video process easy when used with an iPhone. I have been rotating through guitars and mic positioning (including singing and playing direct into the mic or using the mic close to a PA). That will come with us, along with one of the Emeralds.

For sure, this will be a different summer experience.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:23 PM

I'm glad we engineered a visit with you, Joan, Rufus and Mark while in Phoenix in FEB - because it sure isn't happening now. I enjoy your blog and videos.

My summer just got involuntarily rearranged. Last night I was stretching my ankle after a walk and my Achilles tendon tore completely - everyone in the room heard it pop! This morning was all about medical visits. My new best friend for the next eight weeks is a special medical boot. It may be longer if surgery is indicated after the MRI next week (and they are willing to do it). I'm getting to know the local orthopods WAY too well. But at least it doesn't hurt very much like a shoulder, knee or hip does. Looks like plenty of guitar practice is in my near future. I can't do any weight bearing exercise or drive.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm glad we engineered a visit with you, Joan, Rufus and Mark while in Phoenix in FEB - because it sure isn't happening now. I enjoy your blog and videos.

My summer just got involuntarily rearranged. Last night I was stretching my ankle after a walk and my Achilles tendon tore completely - everyone in the room heard it pop! This morning was all about medical visits. My new best friend for the next eight weeks is a special medical boot. It may be longer if surgery is indicated after the MRI next week (and they are willing to do it). I'm getting to know the local orthopods WAY too well. But at least it doesn't hurt very much like a shoulder, knee or hip does. Looks like plenty of guitar practice is in my near future. I can't do any weight bearing exercise or drive.
Wow, Earl, I am so sorry to hear about this. Sending good vibes your way for a fast and full healing. Does your new "boot" come with one of those knee scooters? Our daughter Steph tore some muscles in her lower calf and was in one of those boots and on a scooter for 6 weeks. She got good at maneuvering it around... in spite of the "That looks fun" comments, she couldn't wait to get off that thing.

How does the healing happen with your injury? What is the expected outcome? Take care, my friend, and keep us posted.

Hugs,
Jim & Joan (and Rufus)
Old 06-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Jim, I am OK with normal weight bearing using the boot so I'm getting around the house just fine and not in any real pain. I had a knee scooter for foot surgery years ago and they are a real blessing for mobility. But not needed this time. The ankle isn't even swollen much today and no pretty colors happening. As I understood the doctor this morning, the ends of this tendon don't generally retract and shrivel up like torn muscles do, and will reconnect themselves over time without intervention, if I maintain a slightly extended foot position to keep them in proximity. Hence the boot to let the ends knit. We'll know more and whether surgical re-connection is warranted after an MRI next week and next Friday's doctor visit. But hey, the Olympics were cancelled anyway so my hopes of a medal in track & field were dashed months ago.

[For those here who have not met me, I'm an aging football lineman who is 6'-6" and 310 pounds. Any idea of me running track is laughable on many levels. The last time I ran any distance was 40 years ago and there was a platoon of Marines chasing me for "motivation"].

Either way it seems like four weeks in the boot after surgery, or eight weeks in the boot without surgery. The outcome should be about the same and positive, so I'll probably skip the risks of surgery. I will get to reconnect with my favorite physical therapist again. Nichole just discharged me from shoulder PT at the end of February.

I gave up karate 15 years ago because that tendon was always sore (like my now replaced knees) so it was really only a matter of time before it let go completely. Cortisone shots helped the pain at times back then, but I knew the tissue was being damaged. I guess last night was my time. I did not do anything that had not already occurred dozens of times that day, including a mile walk, 45 minutes of tai chi practice, and going up stairs. I was getting 4000-9000 steps per day lately.

Hugs back. Buddy the Lawn Puma says "meow" to Cousin Rufus.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Good attitude, Earl. That is going to serve you well over the next month or two. Hang in there.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Been a few months again since posting on this thread. We got away for the summer once again, spending 3 months in the Black Hills. Other than getting hailed on a time or 5 (too bad our car and motorhome aren't made of carbon fiber), it was a great escape from the south Texas heat and humidity. The motorhome is a great way to travel and socially distance.

We have been home a week now. As much as I like to be out and about, the moving back in process is drudgery. Today (finally), the guitars came out of their undisclosed location storage and are back on the wall... nice to have that variety again, although the Emerald X10 was a fine travel companion, making its way into a couple music videos Mark and I did over the summer.

Another electric option added this week... not a guitar, but a bigger e-drum set. I forgot what a "workout" a full drum set is.

On the bright side, I didn't return this season with diminished finger callouses this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber