The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Default In market for 1st acoustic guitar amp.

I’m looking for suggestions or ideas.

First...
I do not gig or play in public.
Only exception is a sibling and I will play together 1-2 monthly max.
He has a RMS AC-40 amp, 2 channels. FWIW

My budget is $300 - 450

First I saw the Tonewood and thought cool. About $300 with xtra and set of recharging batteries. Like the apps that can be used. But, I’m not a fingerstyle player.

Then, I saw the Fishman loudbox mini LTX-500 , an artist and the
Loudbox charge. Small but potent. About $225-500 new/used in Excellent condition.

I like the Tonewood but wonder if the mini or one like it would be a better choice and then add some other gear later. The

Your thoughts are welcomed including the size and amp wattage needed to sound credible outside the house.

Gear
Windows 7 PC
iPad Pro (2016)
Desktop web cam and mic. 2012
Guitars listed
Takamine EAN10C
Old 02-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Bruce - the Tonewood (to me) isn't really an amp, but a way to have some effects on your unamplified acoustic guitar. The Fishman LB Mini is a very decent amp for the price. I've had one for about 6 years, and have used it by itself and with the direct out run to my Bose. The Mini has good acoustic sound, chorus, and reverb, and if you decide to use a mic with it, some pretty decent vocal output as well.

The only knock on the LBM is the Tolex covering - I hear they are using something a bit heavier now, but you have to be careful when packing it around to keep it from scuffing/peeling.

It's a good piece of gear.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 02-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Any Fishman Loudbox will keep you happy. I have a Mini and a Performer and love them both. My acoustics all have K&K pickups.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 AM

I've had a Fishman Loudbox Artist for a couple years or so. I received some negative feedback about (Fender Passport) set up in dining & family rooms and this takes up less space. I use it for practicing vocals mostly with unplugged guitar. I've plugged guitars in and they sound fine with sound hole and piezo pickups. I usually have the volume at about 11 o'clock (Sure SM58A mic) which matches up well with a Martin dred. I think they are a good series of acoustic amps but the prices seem to have gone up over the past few years.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hey, Bruce - the Tonewood (to me) isn't really an amp, but a way to have some effects on your unamplified acoustic guitar. The Fishman LB Mini is a very decent amp for the price. I've had one for about 6 years, and have used it by me with the direct out run to my Bose. The Mini has good acoustic sound, chorus, and reverb, and if you decide to use a mic with it, some pretty decent vocal output as well.

The only knock on the LBM is the Tolex covering - I hear they are using something a bit heavier now, but you have to be careful when packing it around to keep it from scuffing/peeling.

It's a good piece of gear.
You’re right. Ones in the $200-225 range look horrible cosmetically. As long as it works I suppose. Lot of new and used on the market including the Mini charge version.
Takamine EAN10C

Last edited by Treyson; 02-11-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Any Fishman Loudbox will keep you happy. I have a Mini and a Performer and love them both. My acoustics all have K&K pickups.
Can you see a reason given my situation to get the Artist instead of the Mini or a different brand?
Takamine EAN10C
Old 02-11-2019, 06:36 AM

I'm an amateur and going against the advice of others worked out very well because of that - an amateur.

The super cheap Acoustic brand I picked up several years ago at a Guitar Center blow out sale has been plenty fine. It left significant money for more important things. The few times it's been used in public no one noticed it was a cheap and to many a craptatacular amp.

More recently it's been drum machine or software output for practice and looper.

Another bit of advice is look at used stuff. A guy who owns an area guitar shop that does a lot of used a repair business was a co-worker many years ago. He gives me good advice. He's pointed out how he's always got some plenty fine used acoustic amps for pennies on the dollar compared to what his professional customers seek.

There's no doubt that I appreciate better products out there but I thought another amateur might want to know about the cheapskate option that worked out well for me.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Check out the Boss Acoustic Singer Live.
At $349 this would be my choice !

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-combo-with-fx
Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I have had the Loudbox mini and the Loudbox Artist. Both are fantastic. If you don't play out, and you don't need phantom power, just get the mini and save some money - sounds like its perfect for your needs.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM

I´m also a happy Loudbox Artist user.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM

I have a Loudbox Mini and really like it. Found a Loudbox Performer used at GC so thought I would step up. Compared the two side-by-side and the Mini had a warmth to it that was lacking in the larger amp. I will always have a Mini around but would like to eventually move to the Charge version if they sound the same.
Last year I scored a Boss Acoustic Singer Live on Black Friday. Good-sounding amp with a ton more features than the Loudbox. I really like having delay on the vocal channel (wish they had included it on the guitar channel). I don't like the vocal harmony thing but the looper is cool.
The Boss sounds more natural to me but the Mini has a focused sound that is easy to hear.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM

a nod from yet another delighted Loud Box Artist owner...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 AM

It's a shame that Fishman made the decision to not only use crappy tolex on the Mini, but also to continue using it even with complaints from owners. I know the new charge model uses better tolex but this issue has kept me from buying an original. I know it's only cosmetic but come on, even cheap amps that are a quarter of the price use better tolex.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Bruce,

I'm also an "at home" player, and never had an amp until month or so ago, so take this for what it is worth.

Mine is the Loudbox Mini and I'm happy with it. If you are not carting it around the issue with the covering may not bother you. At 60 watts it should have all the power you need. Sweetwater runs a package where they throw in a decent mic and a flimsy mic stand for the same price as the amp.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyson View Post
Can you see a reason given my situation to get the Artist instead of the Mini or a different brand?
The Artist is fine too and offers more tunable options than the Mini. However, I use the Mini for 95% of my gigs and love it. It packs all the power you need for most situations and I love the light carrying weight.

Because it takes time to turn around and spin dials, I favor the use of pedals over the onboard effects. My pedals are as follows:

* BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay

* BOSS BF-3 Flanger

* BOSS TR-2 Tremolo

* BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus

* BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay

* BOSS TU-3 Tuner

I carry the pedals in a BOSS BCB-6 case. Instant setup, easy portability!

Last edited by 6L6; 02-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification