The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Default How to remove this bridge?

I am attempting to replace the bridge on this low end eBay guitar. When I first
looked at the top of the bridge I just thought those little abalone-like dots on either side of the E strings were decorative. But when I felt underneath, I got a bad feeling...those could not be little bolts with nuts on them, could they? Then I took a picture and my fears were confirmed. Who does that? To make matters worse, this is my first bridge replacement job.
So, beside fumbling forever with pliers, what are my other option? I even thought of chiseling the wood away from around the bolts on top and then turning them from the top while holding the nuts with pliers. I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out another way. Thanks for any help you can give this novice.
[/IMG]

I just can't seem to get the picture to upload from photobucket, but basically the bridge is bolted on; hopefully you can visualize that.

-------------------------
Alvarez Yairi DY 57 1978
Yamaha FG-110
Yamaha FG-160
Yamaha FG-180
Yamaha FG-800
Fender partscaster
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Five old dead basses awaiting resuscitation
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123john View Post
Who does that?
Makers of low-end guitars that are sold on eBay, obviously.

Two weeks ago, I reglued the bridge on a Takamine guitar that was as you describe. Remove the "decorative" dots with a sharp chisel to expose the heads of the bolts. If done carefully, you can reuse the dots. Use a screw driver - usually Philips head - on the head of the screw and pliers or tweezers to hold the nut on the inside. Usually, one needs to remove the dried glue above the head of the bolt to allow access to the recess in the head and provide clearance for the head so that the bolt can be removed.

One removed, throw the nut, bolt and washer away. When the job is finished, reglue the "decorative" dots to fill the holes and maintain the original appearance.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
One removed, throw the nut, bolt and washer away. When the job is finished, reglue the "decorative" dots to fill the holes and maintain the original appearance.
Unless it's a vintage Gibson, in which case someone is going to be pretty sore over those missing bolts.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Ah, if there is indeed a screw head under the decorative dots I will know what to do. By the way, the bridge split and will need to be replaced so I don't have to worry about damaging it. Thanks!

-------------------------
Alvarez Yairi DY 57 1978
Yamaha FG-110
Yamaha FG-160
Yamaha FG-180
Yamaha FG-800
Fender partscaster
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Five old dead basses awaiting resuscitation
Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123john View Post
Ah, if there is indeed a screw head under the decorative dots I will know what to do. By the way, the bridge split and will need to be replaced so I don't have to worry about damaging it. Thanks!
Sorry, your initial post did say "replace" the bridge. If you aren't going to reuse the bridge, then you don't need to be concerned about damaging the bridge. Regardless, you should be able to remove the bolts without damaging the bridge. And, you won't need to reuse the "decorative" dots. Unless, of course, it is a vintage Gibson.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 AM

Assuming they are hex nuts inside, I generally just remove them with a socket and 1/4" drive ratchet. Very often, I remove the bridge with the screws still in it. If not, I use a small scribe pushed in under the edge to remove the pearl dots.... while heating them with a small heat gun. This works with real pearl, but heat is not recommended for pealoid (plastic).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair