The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Default Loudness Meter Plugins

I raised the subject of using Loudness Meter plugins in another thread but it got lost in the shuffle so here's a second effort. It's my understanding they help in establishing volume levels for exporting bounces to different broadcast and streaming services. Any input on loudness meter plugin preferences and other observations on the subject are greatly appreciated. I'm currently leaning towards the Youlean Loudness Meter 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMKQeLHYutw

Thanks!
Trevor
Old 03-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I have no idea what they are talking about but as soon as they said the simulation was talking in an English voice, I'd doubt anything it says.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I work as a sound designer and recording engineer/producer in music, film, and video. At the house where I work we've slowly built up our tools over the years to provide the level management we need. I work with three tools:

For basic level info we use Dorrough loudness meters. They offer the ability to monitor VU and peak at the same time and have a reliable real-time picture of those factors and the relationship between them. They are available as plug-ins.

For analytical work and when we are preparing a show to meet FCC guidelines and to analyze the loudness density of any mix, we use Isotope Insight. This allows us to set goals for program density and then see how the program performs according to those goals. You have a spectrum display, a timeline showing loudness throughout the measured time, and several other tools that show instantaneous and aggregate density for the measured period. It takes some research to understand the system (LUFS) but is important to anyone who does professional work. Insight is a really comprehensive tool.

And finally, we use DK meters to monitor the stereo or surround spectrum as we mix. This gives you an instantaneous representation of your panning and energy across the stereo or surround field. DK has transitioned to plug-ins as well.

Well, there you go. I hope that helps!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Oh, and pix, now that I'm at work:

Single Dorrough meter

Showing VU in the contiguous green and yellow bars and peaks with the two red chicklets.

iZotope Insight

Lots of info there

DK Meter, stereo mode

For the record, Phil is my boss. We made up the bands as an affectionate joke for his birthday.

All of these are measuring the same music mix at roughly the same spot.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 03-13-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM

Thanks, Bob! Your response is very helpful and I'll look into your recommendations. As things currently stand I have the Voxengo Span plugin (free spectral analyzer) as well as the iZotope Imager, also free if memory serves (it doesn't always do so these days). My DAW is Logic Pro X and as you probably know it comes with some stock metering plugins. What I'm most interested in at this point is acquiring a plugin that gives me reference targets for online platforms as well as broadcast loudness standards.
Thanks again for your input. Very much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
TWhat I'm most interested in at this point is acquiring a plugin that gives me reference targets for online platforms as well as broadcast loudness standards.
Izotope Insight should do what you're looking for, with meters for most (?) of the standards, as well as all kinds of useful info, as Bob showed (there are dozens and dozens of different views in the package). I also like the TC LM2n meter, which has different standards presets, but I mostly like the radar-like display with it's history (going around the dial clockwise).

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 12.28.24 PM.png

That DK meter looks pretty cool! (and expensive)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That DK meter looks pretty cool! (and expensive)
The iZotope Insight plugin is $199.00 U.S. and the TC LM2 is twice that much. According to Youlean, he developed his award winning Loudness Meter because in his view no-one should have to pay hundreds of dollars for a metering plugin.
He's winning the debate for me so far.

That said, I appreciate the input and recommendations.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
The iZotope Insight plugin is $199.00 U.S. and the TC LM2 is twice that much. According to Youlean, he developed his award winning Loudness Meter because in his view no-one should have to pay hundreds of dollars for a metering plugin.
He's winning the debate for me so far.

That said, I appreciate the input and recommendations.
The DK meter appears to be $2000-ish! Free is always nice - and I have a lot of free plugins that I like, but sometimes you get what you pay for. With metering, it's all about accuracy, so it depends on how much you trust the calibration of the various options. The free one may be fine, tho all the visualizations in insight are quite impressive and I suspect they can charge because they give people their money's worth. I think I got my TC meter plugin for $99 (I think you're looking at the hardware version they just came out with)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The DK meter appears to be $2000-ish! Free is always nice - and I have a lot of free plugins that I like, but sometimes you get what you pay for. With metering, it's all about accuracy, so it depends on how much you trust the calibration of the various options. The free one may be fine, tho all the visualizations in insight are quite impressive and I suspect they can charge because they give people their money's worth. I think I got my TC meter plugin for $99 (I think you're looking at the hardware version they just came out with)
You're right about getting what we pay for! That said, I'd get the paid version of the Youlean Loudness Meter. It's still inexpensive at about $49.00 U.S. but looks adequate for my purposes (recording solo finger-style steel string and classical guitars). I might try the free version just to find out if it's accurate. If it's not I wouldn't hesitate to buy the iZotope Insight given how much I like the RX Suite.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 PM

The Master The Mix Loudness plug-in in well worth considering and is reasonably priced as is the Waves meter.
Martin J40
Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
The Master The Mix Loudness plug-in in well worth considering and is reasonably priced as is the Waves meter.
I have been looking at the Levels plugin by Mastering the Mix and was hoping someone with experience using it would chime in here.
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Smile Loudness Meter

My new favorite is SPL HawkEye ($149 on sale):

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...l_hawkeye.html

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 03-14-2019, 01:28 PM

The SPL Hawkeye takes high tech to a whole other level. Frankly, it seems far more comprehensive what my humble efforts require.
I just happened across a fascinating comparison of three loudness meter plugins. Okay, it was Recommended For You on my youtube page. The three plugins register virtually identical levels across the board. See below:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD