The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 AM

Exclamation Help me solving this doubt/trouble in my mind!

Hello everyone!

I am left handed and I have a Martin DR-centennial since 1 year and a bit more and it has been my first all-wood guitar (or let's say, "high end").
I play 99% at home on the couch, most strumming with a bit of arpeggios. I find the size of the "Martin D" a bit too much uncomfortable - so much that I play it very seldom, and I use to play my little Takamine Taka-mini, which is somewhere between GSmini and the little Martin.

I love my DR-cent, every time I open the case I smell the woods, then I string a bit and it brings happiness but after 15-20 minutes, I feel like my shoulder is not in the right position, the "D" is maybe just too big for me.

Browsing online I saw a Martin 000-15 Special which should be a bit more handy than the DR-centennial. Is it really true?
Now the idea of changing guitar is giving me second thoughts on the purchase...

I would summarize:
PRO changing : size?
CONS changing: volume, specs, value

Unfortunately being left handed I cannot try a lot of guitars.

What would you do?
Of course any suggestion is valid, also on the 00/GC size, for example.
I know that the woods and the specs are different, it is more on the "size" discussion.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tankovic,
Maybe this might help you :

Old 02-19-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Tankovic,

Hey, thanks for the video!
Yes, mainly that is my problem - on the couch even sitting it is just not right to feel comfortable.
I thought the second guitar was a 00 - based on my perception - because it really looks smaller.

ah! I don't know if I should "downgrade" to a 15 series, If you know what I mean. or to a 16/17/18.. big choice, small possibility to try out first. And I may lose a bit of money on the DR-C.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Tankovic,

Excellent video!

I never play guitar on the couch like the way you show in the video. It's incredibly uncomfortable and impractical for me. I always use an armless chair and sit in an upright posture and as you suggest I also wear a strap. As a result i never have shoulder problems.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 AM

I regularly play on the couch at night. Often just strumming or working on new things during a baseball game. I definitely can't do this with a dreadnaught! For couch playing I use a much smaller guitar.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 AM

People often refer to playing on the couch. The couch, great for watching TV. Not the best for playing. See the video on posture, etc.

Before you do anything try playing seated on a sturdy straight chair with no arms. This may work better for you.

If you do decide on a smaller size, a 000 size is a good choice. Another often over looked choice is a 0000/M or grand auditorium. Figure 8 shaped, more comfortable and very versatile. Nearly as loud as a dread.

Then, it's wood choices. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:11 AM

Get off the couch! And if that doesn't work, try standing. Then, if that doesn't work, get the 000.

You like the D and it's paid for, don't give up on it too soon.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 AM

It may be a result of 45 years of teaching wind instruments, but I've never understood playing on the couch. But apparently lots of people like it. So if you're staying on the couch I'd get the smaller guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Get a 00. They're very comfortable and a good one will have plenty of sound. The Huss & Dalton 00, Huss & Dalton Crossroads, Martin 00-18V, and Waterloo WL-S are among my favorites in that size. I'm sure there are others.

While playing in a straight-back chair is "better" in several respects, I believe you should be able to play more or less wherever you like, including on the couch if that suits you. A 00 will let you do that. Of course, when you're learning something new and challenging, proper posture and seating position will be beneficial. But if you're just having fun trying to play along with jingles on TV commercials, a 00 played while on the couch will do fine. It'll also do fine on that straight-back chair, of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
help choose, martin dr-centennial, size d