The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Six months to learn it, now which guitar?

I'm an untrained amateur with modest skills for playing, and it has taken me about six months to learn Eva Cassidy's "Over the Rainbow."

There are for-pay lessons for this available online, and a few YouTube tutorials for parts of it. One is called a lesson but it is a well-done complete play-through with a split screen showing both fingerpicking and fretting. The woman doing it has long slim fingers.

I learned it from TAB sheets available online, mostly the Ultimate Guitar version, but while those closely match the YouTube woman's playing, Eva Cassidy's live version has some embellishments. I am working on the Eva riffs now.

There are plenty of bass runs, and the old D-18 does them well, and it sounds wonderful when the treble climb-ups ring, but I am not as comfortable playing it on the Martin or the Yamaha LS-TA as on the 12-fret Fender PM-2. Maybe it is because most all the practice was done on the couch with the Fender, playing it over and over again softly while watching TV.

In the Eva video she is playing in a club setting and I'm pretty sure she is plugged in. She really hits some crescendo notes at the end right before the outro, and for that part, the LS-TA sounds best, because I turn on the TA and set the reverb to about 7/8 and volume same.

But then I come back and do it with the D-18, and it's wow all over again.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM

What setting are you going to be playing in?

If you're just playing at home for your own enjoyment, stay with your couch guitar...

If you're going to be playing for a small group of friends or doing an open mic/coffeehouse, I'd opt for the Martin...

If you're playing in a large room, plug in the Yamaha and wail away...

Now you know why we long-timers have so many guitars...
Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM

I had to look up the video as I have never heard of her before. Do you sing along with it too? Her version seems to fit vocal accompaniment really well. I was shown a version by my teacher, ( a brilliant jazz player), that works nice on a 12 fret. Now, I dont want to stir things up but this song works real nice on nylon...I dont see one in your lineup....just sayin'...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion