The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Default Sealing Sharpie art on guitar ???

My daughter is an artist and does amazing Sharpie drawings. I'm considering letting her use one of my guitars as her canvas. She wants to do something similar to this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/259027416044227181/. I have a slope dread that would be a perfect candidate I think. Though I play it almost every day, I only have $300 in it. I also think it would be wonderful to have some of her artwork on something I enjoy so much. My question is...how do I seal it after she is finished? I'm assuming the oil from my hands and arm would eventually wear it off. The guitar is an Epi AJ500 satin finish.

Thoughts?
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 PM

If one were to use a red label "industrial" sharpie, there would only one shot at getting it right but it would require removal of the underlying finish to get it off. I would worry about sealing the top of a guitar altering its sound.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:10 PM

The toughest part about the seal is making it look like the original finish with just the sharpie drawing on it. You could do research to determine the same type of finish that it has (e.g. Nitro, poly, etc), but application of these finishes will be your challenge.

With that being said, one of the easiest finishes to apply is TruOil - you literally wipe it on, then immediately wipe it off to remove any excess and leave the thinnest layer possible. It's really quick to apply and 8-10 coats should last you a couple of years before you need to do some touch up coats.

I'd recommend using a cotton swab on a very tiny and inconspicuous area just to make sure there's no inadvertent reaction between finishes. Good luck and please post a picture to this thread when she's done, I'd love to see it.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Thanks...I'm going to continue doing some research. I promise to post pics of finished product.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Where are ya Kelly I'd probably let her hit mine up as well. Yall in the south?

Oh nope... out west. ... dang I think that would be neat!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Yep....Middle Earth to be exact
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM

I wrote some verses from the Good Book on a broken guitar I found.
Made some minor repairs , sanded the top with a fine grade sandpaper, wrote all the verses and sealed with a few layers of clear lacquer (spray).
Do note to start with very fine layer so as not to dissolve the sharpie ink.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 AM

My husband painted a broken guitar and donated it to Six String Heros. Since he wasn't worried about the tone, he first painted it white with gesso then drew the design then painted it. When he was all done he brushed a clear sealer on the guitar. If you're wanting to play the guitar after it is decorated I'd use a light spray sealer.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 AM

I've done guitar sharpie art before, although not on an acoustic, and only on cheap instruments.

It will wear off without any kind of top coat, but I've found it doesn't happen as quickly as you'd expect, and only really in areas that get lots of contact and friction.

Assuming though that you do want to put a top coat on it, I found the sharpie oil based 'paint' markers were generally more compatible with most spray lacquers, so that might be an option rather than just using normal sharpies.

I can't stress enough though the need to check compatibility of all the components before either wrecking a nicely finished guitar, or spending hours on artwork that you can't seal. Test everything!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas! I sent an email to Sharpie yesterday and asked for their opinion. I'll let you know their response. Any more suggestions would still be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Wouldn't the best sealer be to just put another coat of whatever the existing finish is over top?

If that isn't available, whatever you use, make sure you test it on an inconspicuous place on the guitar in case there is some kind of reaction.

I'd think you'd be safe with something like Testors Glosscote or Dullcote. I've used these on things (models, etc.) with various types of paint (inks, oils, various acrylics and things like technical pens) on them without issue.

You wouldn't need more than a very thin single coat to provide the protection, I doubt it would affect the tone in a huge way. A single coat of this stuff would go on much thinner than the finish on most guitars.

A second choice would be a spray matte finish from Krylon.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:44 PM

No advice for the OP, but I just wanted to chime in and say what AMAZING artwork is in this thread, especially that electric from Zosoa... Well done!
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
No advice for the OP, but I just wanted to chime in and say what AMAZING artwork is in this thread, especially that electric from Zosoa... Well done!
Yes. And the Bible verses. Incredible handwriting!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post

Hey, thank you

Now if only my guitar playing skills matched my guitar doodling skills...*sigh*
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 AM

Great Idea!

Maybe contact an Art Gallery and see what they might say?

I used to use a spray a long time ago when I did certain drawings to protect from smearing etc... Seems like there should be something along those lines that would work.

Let us know how it turns out.......I'd love to have one of my guitars customized with a sharpie!!
Gibson LG0 Hog 64

Last edited by rvf263; 01-22-2015 at 04:59 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion