The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslider View Post
Ok man... would love to hear a playoff between you and him...
Sorry, but what can i tell 'ya. I don't think Neil would rate himself as any better. Doesn't mean I don't consider him an all-time great. I sat in the second row for the famous 3/7/70 show at the Fillmore and went to the first and last CSNY shows at the Fillmore that June. The B side of his first solo album is probably the best 25 recorded minutes in rock history....Try to read and understand the whole post.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 PM

I was at the 3/6/70 show!!! It was amazing!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM

I love Neil Young even though he put old Dixie down. I also have new socks on.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Interesting article in today's WSJ about Neil Young.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...reel_lifeStyle

opencee

Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Can't wait, I am going to see him tomorrow ( solo) and I will be close to him so I will report back.
Neil was very good tonight. He started on a D-28 and did some classics. he moved on to material from his new album played on an amazing acoustic guitar. I read that it is a custom built guitar ( I think it was all mahogany) with very unique electronics. It sound unbelievable in that the bass was thunderous but the overall sound was very natural. The pickup was a soundhole one that looked like a Baggs M1. No other cables attached to the guitar , just the one coming of the soundhole pickup. I was blown away by the sound.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmidlifecrisis View Post
I was at the 3/6/70 show!!! It was amazing!
Wasn't that a great show...? A very uncommunicative Miles Davis alone on stage, Steve Miller forgetting a bunch of words, then Neil and CH. Do you remember there was a solar eclipse that afternoon..?
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Wasn't that a great show...? A very uncommunicative Miles Davis alone on stage, Steve Miller forgetting a bunch of words, then Neil and CH. Do you remember there was a solar eclipse that afternoon..?
Boy your memory is better than mine. I remember Miles and STeve Miller but not the eclipse.....Miles never said a word if I remember it right. I was really into SMB back then in the "Sailor" and "Brave New World" days. I even have the LP where his band was the backup band for Chuck Berry...very old!!

Neil and CH were great. I believe that show is available on CD now, I should really get it.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I don't believe I've ever heard Neil play out of tune. Can you give me an example?
Agreed definitely on acoustic I always thought he had very good ears
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Is it on the Massey recordings where Neil is always fiddling with tuning his guitar ?

To my ears, sometimes when he is playing in dropped tunings, it sounds like he is just a tad off.

But just being that tad bit off is classical Neil in my opinion.

Harmonics101
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Massey Hall, 1971...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7letrMf_nE
That's one reason I like Neil's playing. I have many other favourite moments but this song from this album really is too much.

It's really amazing hearing a whole album of just him and a guitar or piano. The Massey Hall CD is nothing but! Stunning sound quality and mine was packaged with the cd and dvd.
AWESOME, AWESOME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and this performance is vintage Neil !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM

He's got a great sense of timing. Kind of like BB whose sense of timing an phrasing is unreal.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Neil is playing at the Seminole Hard Rock tonight in Hollywood Florida and I have to work!!! BUMMER
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Is it on the Massey recordings where Neil is always fiddling with tuning his guitar ?

To my ears, sometimes when he is playing in dropped tunings, it sounds like he is just a tad off.

But just being that tad bit off is classical Neil in my opinion.

Harmonics101
I agree that a lot of the early stuff with Crazy Horse did sound a click off but the clanginess of those guitars is probably what made it sound so good.

Interesting to me is that, the garage/grunge thing notwithstanding, Neil's work has never been copied or duplicated. I can't recall anyone I ever identified as a "new Neil Young". His musicality has been a tremendous influence and many of us have wanted to be able to write like that, but I can't think of any clones who have been spun off. Anybody...?
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Neil was very good tonight. He started on a D-28 and did some classics. he moved on to material from his new album played on an amazing acoustic guitar. I read that it is a custom built guitar ( I think it was all mahogany) with very unique electronics. It sound unbelievable in that the bass was thunderous but the overall sound was very natural. The pickup was a soundhole one that looked like a Baggs M1. No other cables attached to the guitar , just the one coming of the soundhole pickup. I was blown away by the sound.
It's definitely an LR Baggs M1 and the sound really fits his style. There are clips of him showing up now that sound really great.

Neil never has been shy about great roots style sound-guys, and I'm sure there's some creative eq going on but certainly a great live. loud guitar sound in a big arena.

Good stuff!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 PM

Here is link to the guitar and some descriptions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129955938

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion