The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessmonkey View Post
Easymac....where did you buy it? And how much did it cost? Does it actually have solid Rosewood back and sides, in addition to a solid Spruce top? I ask because I've located one and want to know as much about it as I can before I commit. Thanks!
Yeah. Its pretty sweet. My current fav right now. Super light too. Top piece is very thin. I've found another one too. We better not be looking art the same one. Paid 80 for mine but will sell around 700.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree with the assessment of it as a kit guitar.

How much is it worth? Hard to say....not a whole lot. Whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Presumably it's made of good quality solid wood, but it's still more or less a hobby project. Depending on its tonal qualities and playability, probably somewhere in the $250-$400 range.

Two factors in particular lead me to believe it's a kit instrument: the clunky shape of the peghead with the visually offbeat but easy to inlay pearl and abalone blocks, and the fact that while the woods are quite nice, the tuners appear to be absolutely low end economy level gears.

Most of the kits that Stewart-MacDonald, LMI and other luthiery supply houses sell come without tuning gears. Whoever put this together was willing to spend the money for a nice quality kit, but must have thought it was ridiculous to spend more than 12 or 15 bucks for the tuners.

So that's what this guitar has.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
I'm gonna have to disagree. One thing I've learned over 30 years of buying and selling guitars, a picture doesn't tell you the first thing. In reality pics set you up for big disappointment majority of the time.

Tuners were the same on both, and a much higher quality than I believe you anticipate they may be. Just because someone didn't over pay for an item you may prefer, doesn't make it less of a quality product. Very precise tuners, and will hold much longer than any of my Taylors, Breedloves, Martins, AND customs with aftermarket gear.

This guitar is killer, and any of you with the opportunity, I hope you got it.

I ended up getting the second one I found, and selling it to a guitar shop for a little over $600. Someone bought it the next week from them for $850!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymac View Post
Yeah. Its pretty sweet. My current fav right now. Super light too. Top piece is very thin. I've found another one too. We better not be looking art the same one. Paid 80 for mine but will sell around 700.
I've seen a few of these types of posts before. Have you got it on ebay by any chance?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I've seen a few of these types of posts before. Have you got it on ebay by any chance?
I don't have one currently listed. My first one will never leave my wall if its not in my hands, and just sold the one I picked up a few days ago to a local shop, and they sold it immediately. Wished I had kept it now. If had 5 of these, obviously there is a market, and I could set the price. I have one I'm bidding on, on another site, and I plan to actually refinish it darker, and then it will really be rare.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:30 PM

Default No name pyramid head stock acoustic

Just acquired one of these. Though this is a very old thread I'm hoping to get some info on this thing. It seems to be a cannon but has neck/fret issues.
I'm thinking that for the 200 dollar purchase price since it is a solid wood guitar (rosewood sides and beck with a descent spruce top) I might be worth throwing a little into it to getting it in goo plying shape. Other than that was hopiing to track down any info on this mystery axe!
Thank you in advance!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Maybe its like a fruitcake and yall are just passing around the same one.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymac View Post
Tuners were the same on both, and a much higher quality than I believe you anticipate they may be. Just because someone didn't over pay for an item you may prefer, doesn't make it less of a quality product. Very precise tuners, and will hold much longer than any of my Taylors, Breedloves, Martins, AND customs with aftermarket gear.
Yes, I'm sure they do. It's amazing how a no-name guitar maker somewhere somehow managed to find the end-all guitar tuners when so many big names and custom builders haven't been able to source such miraculous pieces of equipment. I wonder if the travel to Mordor was as perilous as I've always heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
Maybe its like a fruitcake and yall are just passing around the same one.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Default What kind of guitar is this?

Haha! Amazing after all this time there is still not a solid take on the lineage of this piece. Taking mine to a builder to see what it will take to get it playing proper. It's a cannon for 200 bucks.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Default what kind of guitar is this

Ok guys. I've owned one of these guitars for about 5yr and have just recently bought another one that I found in ft.worth tx. I don't know anything about them except they're cannons.thats why i bought the second one.the headstock logo and the snowflake dots on the fretboard came from a company called bitterroot guitar. They make parts for luthiers.other than that. That's all I can find on these guitars. I'll post pic of them both together when i figure out how. Lol
Old 07-10-2018, 06:48 PM

And this thread is revived yet again! It may not be the record for the oldest thread ever revived, but the number of times it's been brought back to life is certainly impressive.

whm
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM

I had one of those, i think some company was making kits. They are really exceptional and i have seen at least 4 now. They usually post for $300-$400 but I think i sold mine for $200 and thats probably a more realistic number. Mine had some markings inside that appeared to be blue pen measurements . I ha more information on it a few years ago when i had the fever to figure it out.I do remember the tuners were ping.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Aaaannnd revived again...one just sold last night on goodwill for $211 .. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/57304875
Old 10-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Default I have this guitar

I got one of these for free from my Mom. Her cousins husband passed away and she was going through his stuff and came across this guitar that he bought back in the mid 80's. She was going to just throw it away, but my Mom took it and gave it to me. I've been searching for forever on where this guitar came from. It's in really great condition. I've had it for almost 6 years now. It has a great sound. Just wish I knew exactly what it was. Glady will post pictures for anyone who wants to see it.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 PM

It is hard to tell for sure but I think this guitar is what is known as a Marlboro guitar.
The tobacco company had the guitar available as a premium for buying Marlboro cigarettes. Originally, there was all sorts of talk that these were privately lableled Martin products. That was determined not to be the case. It is just a guess, but they may be made by the company that makes the Tanglewood guitars.

I have played one and thought it sounded pretty good. Hey, nice that you saved it. An acoustic guitar is a terrible thing to waste!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
It is hard to tell for sure but I think this guitar is what is known as a Marlboro guitar.
The tobacco company had the guitar available as a premium for buying Marlboro cigarettes. Originally, there was all sorts of talk that these were privately lableled Martin products. That was determined not to be the case. It is just a guess, but they may be made by the company that makes the Tanglewood guitars.

I have played one and thought it sounded pretty good. Hey, nice that you saved it. An acoustic guitar is a terrible thing to waste!
I have one of those Marlboro guitars and there is nothing in the headstock.
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion