The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Larson Brothers Guitars Relaunched

Stumbled onto this website: http://www.larsonbros.de/

Looks like the Furch folks that brought us Stonebridge and Stanford guitars have worked up another offering. The concept behind these guitars sounds very interesting. I have never seen or heard an original Larson Bros. guitar.

Found a review of one of the new models here:

http://reviews.harmony-ce...s./Stetson+Style+2ES/10/1

From what I have found out, Furch is working towards marketing these in the states. But, its going to take a while. I think they are already available in Europe. Anyone had a chance to play one yet?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

From what little I've read...it sounds like the only thing "Larson" about them is the name.
On the Prairie State model, they say;
"This guitar is quite far away from the old Maurer Jumbos. The only thing that this model has in common with its predecessor is the size. It is a new century Jumbo which is, however, constructed in the same style as the old guitars. We know that contemporary guitar players request a big guitar with a big sound projection. That’s why our master luthier created a new body
shape,
but used the old bracing system with some changes. You can also find the same stylish features as on the other two models, but with a different peghead and a narrower 1 11/16” neck as well. In fact, this guitar is a modern instrument that provides a very modern sound, but you can still feel the touch of history in it."

Not really a "Larson" design is it?
"new body shape"??
"used the old bracing system but with some changes"?? Isn't that what every builder does...takes a bracing design and tweaks it for their builds?

If looking for a real "Larson" design, at least in the Prairie State model, there are some builders out there reproducing them.

For the Maurer;
'This model might be the re-creation of the old Maurer guitar models, but like Bob Dylan said, “the times they are a’changing….” While the Stetson was intended to get as close as possible to the original, the Maurer is a different instrument altogether. The first difference is pretty obvious. While the original features a 12-fret neck, the new guitar has 14 frets! This change led the master luthier to a complete redesign of the soundboard construction......'

"Larson" in name only.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-11-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Not really looking for a Larson clone. I'm just curious how these new guitars sound and play. Sounds pretty much like a new design altogether.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

That's interesting. I wonder how they sound and play too.

I have an old Stetson my wife got me for my birthday. Apparently they were only made between 1910 and 1925. I'm pretty sure the bridge has been changed. It plays and sounds great though... It's my couch guitar

Here are a couple pictures...

Kindly,
Danny
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM

The Stetson model sounds particularly interesting to me. Here is an excerpt from the brochure that is accessible on the website:

The top is braced using the unique Larson-style laminated bracing system. It is almost authentic as to the braces position, but the
braces are slightly scalloped, which is an element that
the Larsons never used on laminated braces. This feature
helps to provide the sound that you will find on
all old Larson guitars. Our goal was to construct a
guitar that – even though it is new
– sounds like a guitar which is almost
a hundred years old. All the
details are carried out in vintage
style in order to get as close to the
original as possible. Larson guitars
feature a very simple black/white/
black wooden purfling besides the
white plastic binding – not only
around the edge of the body, but
also around the sound hole. The
result is a guitar with a remarkable
sound different from all
other dreadnoughts.

If they can replicate this type of sound, I really want to try one out.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 AM

i might get a Stetson 2 , hopefully by the end of the month.. :-D

anyone here got the new versions of larson ??

----------------------------------------------
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent
In death I sweetly sing
Old 05-25-2009, 05:51 AM

I've not played one of these guitar and can't comment on their quality. But, I do know that the company is in no way associated with and does not have the approval of the descendants of the Larson brothers. The owner of this company simply registered the "Larson Bros." tradename and began producing instruments that bear little or no resemblance to their namesakes.

Issue 15 (Fall 2009) of the Fretboard Journal will carry my in depth article about the Larson brothers and their instruments and four of the leading luthiers who are carrying on the tradition: Willi Henkes & Rudie Blazer (http://www.antique-acoustics.de/en/index.htm), Tony Klassen (http://arkneweraguitars.com/index.html), and Frankie Montuoro (http://www.montuoroguitars.com/index.html).

Until then, I can only offer a pic of my own modest collection of the Larson brothers work:

Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 AM

I find this pretty disgusting. Using the names of historical makers to peddle your stuff is pretty low. I'm actually not surprised they don't have US distribution as they may have some problems here with the Larson descendants. I really object to people re-hashing historic trademarks to try and gain some instant credibility. Using names like "Recording King" or even "Loar" makes me question the underlying ethics of the people registering these trademarks.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Using names like "Recording King" or even "Loar" makes me question the underlying ethics of the people registering these trademarks.
It makes me question the common sense of anyone who buys an otherwise undistinguished, no-name guitar because it has "Larson" or "Loar" stenciled on it somewhere. For anything that has buyers, a seller will eventually appear...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM

hmm.. its seems like a lot of haters on the new "larsons".. im not an expert on the history.. nor i was already born during those days. i very much respect them..

but hey i just might own the "new ones" in a couple of days.. just want to get feedback. :-)

it seems that the new "larson brothers" guitars are still not available in US , much like its brothers Stanford, Furch.. which is i say a little popular here in AGF.

Toni Götz anyone.. :-)

----------------------------------------------
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent
In death I sweetly sing
Old 05-25-2009, 08:10 AM

If anyone is seriously considering such a guitar or just wishes to learn more about the history and models of Larson Brothers' Guitars, I have found no better resource than Frankie Montuoro who builds out of Chicago.

Check out his site...http://www.montuoroguitars.com/

OOPs...I just noticed that someone else already posted a link!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 AM

Since I'm also into golf I'll make an analogy. Looks like they have made an effort at a "knock off" guitar similar to clone golf clubs. They have similar names and might have somewhat of a similar appearance, but on the inside and performance wise they are quite different. I don't see one in my future. Having said that though I am curious about how they sound.

Stanford PSD-21
Martin HD-28V
Martin 000-15
Fender DG100

I once thought that I had made a mistake. But, as it turns out, I was wrong.

www.chilhoweemountainband.com

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/slowpickr?feature=mhee

Last edited by sixiron150; 05-25-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Issue 15 (Fall 2009) of the Fretboard Journal will carry my in depth article about the Larson brothers and their instruments and four of the leading luthiers who are carrying on the tradition...
Wow, John, I'm going to be able to say I knew you when.... Now I'm totally intimidated to meet you and "share" Harp Guitar info. I imagine I will just sit silent, awestruck!

Speaking of Harp Guitarists, do you know of any way to get in touch with Carter Lancaster. Saw his video of Widow Walk at HGG7 and would love to discuss some things with him and see if he has any CDs available.

Thanks!
Marc Beneteau Concert Standard Fan Fret
Holloway Harp Guitar Model 5 (Prototype)
Avian Ibis Multiscale
Breedlove 250CR
Takamine F-310
Takamine F-150
Takamine ES23C Classical
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM

What about the Greven Prairie State guitar?:

http://www.grevenguitars.com/

Wonderful dream guitars someday:
Mark Blanchard Pinyon (00) Ad/Koa slothead 12fret contour cutaway, Mark Blanchard Sugarpine (000) Ad/Mad fan 12 fret contour cutaway w/Manzer wedge
Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Durso View Post
What about the Greven Prairie State guitar?:

http://www.grevenguitars.com/
Big difference. He uses his own name on the headstock. He's not trying to piggyback on the reputation of others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion