The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Looking for an inexpensive interface for guitar - computer to mess around with in Garage Band. Will this one suffice?
Thanks in advance!
LK
I'll go against the consensus and say YES it will suffice. Especially if you haven't done recording before. You didn't ask about using a mic or recording different instruments, so I assume your needs are just guitar in. Simple and cheap is a good way to start.

Buying for the long term can be a great strategy only if you are clear and knowledgeable about your needs. Otherwise there is the risk of overbuying or missing out on some feature you didn't know you needed.

I've been computer recording for almost 25 years. The quality of the cheapest interfaces is better than ALL of the interfaces available in the mid-nineties - even from companies such as Digidesign, Opcode etc.

Buy the Behringer, have fun and hopefully learn about digital recording. If it becomes a real interest, you'll know 10 times more about what you want for your next interface. And the modest amount of 'sunk costs' won't make you feel bad about giving it away when you upgrade.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-19-2019, 05:01 PM

When buying audio interface, one important factor to consider is are the drivers. Normally I recommend Behringer products, I used their mixers, preamps, speakers, but as far as I know their interfaces use generic ASIO4ALL drivers which sometimes cause issues. Focusrite has some good for value interfaces or Audient id4 is also relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
When buying audio interface, one important factor to consider is are the drivers. Normally I recommend Behringer products, I used their mixers, preamps, speakers, but as far as I know their interfaces use generic ASIO4ALL drivers which sometimes cause issues. Focusrite has some good for value interfaces or Audient id4 is also relatively inexpensive.
Since the OP said he was going to use Garageband I'm assuming he will be using an Apple computer.

The Behringer UMC HD series don't require a driver to run very well on OS-X.

I'm not sure I would recommend the same interface for Windows, for the driver issues you have highlighted.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Thanks, Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I'll go against the consensus and say YES it will suffice. Especially if you haven't done recording before. You didn't ask about using a mic or recording different instruments, so I assume your needs are just guitar in. Simple and cheap is a good way to start.

Buying for the long term can be a great strategy only if you are clear and knowledgeable about your needs. Otherwise there is the risk of overbuying or missing out on some feature you didn't know you needed.

I've been computer recording for almost 25 years. The quality of the cheapest interfaces is better than ALL of the interfaces available in the mid-nineties - even from companies such as Digidesign, Opcode etc.

Buy the Behringer, have fun and hopefully learn about digital recording. If it becomes a real interest, you'll know 10 times more about what you want for your next interface. And the modest amount of 'sunk costs' won't make you feel bad about giving it away when you upgrade.
Thanks, Gordon. You nailed it. Just starting out and want to hack around. I'll upgrade if/when necessary, but just want to start out with the most rudimentary system. I am an absolute novice and don't know EQ from IQ!
Best,
Larry K.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Gordon. You nailed it. Just starting out and want to hack around. I'll upgrade if/when necessary, but just want to start out with the most rudimentary system. I am an absolute novice and don't know EQ from IQ!
Best,
Larry K.
Hi Larry K - Larry J here…
People under-rate Behringer equipment these days.

The interfaces which have Midas preamps in them are great. If you go to Amazon and type "Behringer Recording Interface" in the search bar, it's pretty obvious which ones are the good ones. The u-phoria series are a good way to dip one's foot into the recording waters.

In fact the copy down the page spells out that they have Midas mic preamps in them.

You sure could not go wrong using a simple interface with minimal features to get you started on your adventure. That way when you get ready to upgrade (should you decide to do so later) you'll have experience to base it on.

Have fun learning to record…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I would get one with two xlr inputs, even though now you may only have one mic. This will be a built in expansion for your recording gear which will save you a few bucks down the line. You may just jump to something much better though later, so its up to you, but invariably I'm sure you'll be going to stereo recording eventually. Recording is a lot fun and a nice "side job" for playing guitar.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Behringer

Many thanks, all, for the input.
Larry K.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I don't want to start a flame war here but the Solo is just as hampered as the Behringer model the OP suggested as far as limited inputs. Sure the 2nd gen is better than the 1st but the Behringer HD models have expansion capability that cannot be compared to the FocusRite in terms of pricing. In this case you don't "get what you pay for"....you actually get MORE. I'd immediately take issue with the "headphone output is second to none" statement though as they are equaled in the Behringer UMCHD line). Again, I have nothing against the FR model line. The Behringer just costs a lot less for the same functionality (other than the driver issues I stated at the onset which may very well be limited to me and my use of Win7).

No flame - just facts - you get what you pay for .

It's a [ No Free Lunch ] thing I guess IMHO - YMMV -

I've Behringer stuff - a Feedback Destroyer I'm happy with works great .

It wasn't the most expensive or the cheapest either . Behringer now under rights T.C.Helicon ,
I have one piece still under a 2 year warranty and they are good , I've had to use it once , good results .

On a personal note some say good things on the Behringer interfaces while accounts in the
negative seem a little higher than other brands it appears to me , I just wanted a interface
that had a rock solid reputation/customer service - the 2 year warranty of Focusrite sold me
over the Behringer .

If you are a happy Behring interface user I'm cool .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Default WHEW!

After much (too much?)research and opinion seeking, combined with some great counsel from Justin at Sweetwater, I am the proud owner of the presonus audio box 96. I am nervous and excited about the learning curve, but since I'm retired, I have plenty of time to learn. Wish me luck, and thank you all on this thread for your valuable advice.
Larry K.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
After much (too much?)research and opinion seeking, combined with some great counsel from Justin at Sweetwater, I am the proud owner of the presonus audio box 96. I am nervous and excited about the learning curve, but since I'm retired, I have plenty of time to learn. Wish me luck, and thank you all on this thread for your valuable advice.
Larry K.
I have an earlier version of that one that I use sometimes when traveling around. You’ll be fine. Welcome to recording!!
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Larry K.
If part of the decision about an interface purchase hinges on the warranty period DO take Sweetwater's automatic 2 year warranty into consideration.

I purchased my Zoom R24 from Sweetwater and it developed a problem a year and a half after purchase. A quick call to Sweetwater and it was on its way back. They took care of the entire warranty repair and shipped it back to me.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Larry K.
Awesome! Have fun and I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Congratulations, Larry K. on your audio interface purchase. I don't use a Presonus audio interface but my headphone amp is the Presonus HP4 and I'm very impressed with its quality both in terms of build and functionality.
A casual glance at the specs for your Presonus Audio Box 96 makes me think you'll find the learning curve manageable and as you learn about digital recording you'll come to really appreciate this little units capabilities.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Thanks, Trevor. Go Leafs

Many thanks, Trevor. And good luck to your Leafs. They look good! Hopefully will meet my Islanders as we advance!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Thumbs up Right On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If part of the decision about an interface purchase hinges on the warranty period DO take Sweetwater's automatic 2 year warranty into consideration.

I purchased my Zoom R24 from Sweetwater and it developed a problem a year and a half after purchase. A quick call to Sweetwater and it was on its way back. They took care of the entire warranty repair and shipped it back to me.

Cool man go record a hit now !

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD