The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Glad I found this thread!

My first guitar was an FG335 that my parents bought so my sister and I could take lessons. When I graduated high school (1981) they bought me an Ovation Custom Balladeer and the Yamaha went to my sister.

Fast forward to this past spring when I FINALLY talked her into selling me my Yamaha back. I had forgotten how good that guitar sounds and how much I like playing it.

Two questions:

My plan is to use this guitar as my "strummer" and am thinking about putting medium gauge strings on it.

1) What do you have for string suggestions?

2) I'd also like to add a pickup. Can you share any thoughts, ideas and experiences with pickups and/or pre-amps?
Ibanez AELBT1NT Baritone Acoustic Guitar
Takamine Jasmine ES33c
Fender Squier Vintage Modified '70's Jazz Electric Bass
GS (Garage Sale) Special Les Paul
2nd Wind Special Reso-Bass
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 PM

Default I'm not sure how old my 335 is?

My Mother bought a fg335 at a pawn shop years before I was born. I was born in 1974. When I started playing at 12, I automatically just played it. She only played a little in church and very seldom. I loved this guitar! With the big body and thick neck, it has a neck of a sound. Its all original with the normal bluegrass dings and scratches. We have been to many parties together and played on stage with Ralph Stanley a couple of times when I was around 14. I would never part with it. It must have been made around 1970. I've been offered 500 and 750 plenty of times for it before. Its never let me down. Now I play a br160 Blueridge, but my 335 sounds just as good, really!
Old 02-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Talking Two FG-335s

I have owned a 1977 FG-335 since 1992, for quite some years dabbling before I finally got serious. I always thought the sound was good, and little to compare it with. It has a very nice yellowing to it but a little beat up from the first owner(s). One of the tuners is starting to loosen, and btw recently busted the Corian nut. Needs work now but the main story below.

Fast forward, after getting more serious, I bought a little used 2013 Martin D-16GT for a grand. I thought, well, I can lose the FG-335 which is starting to break down a bit. The '16 is decent with that warm tone, but not near the volume of the 335.
Then I found this forum and became a little more convinced that maybe we are on to something with the 335.

One day I was cruising the 'net and up comes a 1980 335 locally for 200 in what appears to be great condition. I decide to have a look. Sure enough it is whatever you would call nearly new condition. Turns out, it was from an estate sale, and the owner had stashed it under the bed. The strings were terrible and I played it (meh) but took a chance on it.

At first it did not sound great after strings changed. I humidified it, but it did not seem to make much difference. The intonation did not seem right. I sort of tolerated it for a while, playing the Martin mostly, and banging on the 335 some.

The action was high, so what to do. I thought about the bridge truss, and decided it did not feel right. So I finally learned how to adjust the truss rod. The neck indeed had upbow, so to work I went. I was surprised how much I had to turn it, but I finally arrived where I wanted to be. I let it settle overnight, tuned it back up, and -

What a difference! It felt like a different guitar in my hands. Easier to play, better intonation. Took some of the volume down, but it is still a big sound. Felt like a little more growl.

Now, I love strumming and jamming chords on the 335 and it is getting equal time with the D16. I really lucked out with this find (not usual for me). I am really happy as well as thankful to you all for this thread and learning just how good an old guitar these FG-335s are! Might use the other for learning how to repair, adjust, etc. as it needs fixing.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybegley View Post
My Mother bought a fg335 at a pawn shop years before I was born. I was born in 1974. When I started playing at 12, I automatically just played it. She only played a little in church and very seldom. I loved this guitar! With the big body and thick neck, it has a neck of a sound. Its all original with the normal bluegrass dings and scratches. We have been to many parties together and played on stage with Ralph Stanley a couple of times when I was around 14. I would never part with it. It must have been made around 1970. I've been offered 500 and 750 plenty of times for it before. Its never let me down. Now I play a br160 Blueridge, but my 335 sounds just as good, really!
Hi, the FG-335s were made 1977 to 1981. The serial number inside will tell the age. The Yamaha site has the "codes". Assuming the label inside says FG-335 and made in Taiwan, the code for this series is:
First number: Last number of year.
2nd and third: month
4th and 5th: day
the rest: guitar number

Eg one of mine is: 01017478 - Oct. 17, 1980
Old 02-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geedub View Post
Glad I found this thread!

My first guitar was an FG335 that my parents bought so my sister and I could take lessons. When I graduated high school (1981) they bought me an Ovation Custom Balladeer and the Yamaha went to my sister.

Fast forward to this past spring when I FINALLY talked her into selling me my Yamaha back. I had forgotten how good that guitar sounds and how much I like playing it.

Two questions:

My plan is to use this guitar as my "strummer" and am thinking about putting medium gauge strings on it.

1) What do you have for string suggestions?

2) I'd also like to add a pickup. Can you share any thoughts, ideas and experiences with pickups and/or pre-amps?
I always like the sounds of phosphor bronze 92/8 better. I put Ernie Ball Medium-Lights on my FG-335s.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:48 AM

I just bought an FG 335 based on some of the comments on this thread...i am picking it up tomorrow and will have more thoughts after assessing it....is Luthiers Opinion on this forum? I searched by name but was unable to find him....
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 AM

I need that done to my fg335! Can I send it to ya?
Old 09-06-2019, 02:57 AM

"i am the resurrection..." as sung by the Stone Roses but probably not with an FG-335.

I've just bought one of these venerable instruments, it's a few months older than me and I'm not sure which of us had aged better.

Been strung for forty years I presume so the action was pretty high, I'm hoping I can sort it with the truss rod. Not bellied though and no disturbing rattles (other than the G and D tuners which are very slack).

Bought as a fixer-upper although probably with a bit more care given the guitar's cult, classic status.

New nut on way, the old one self-destructed as I took the strings off. New saddle on the way since the old one slid around in the bridge (probably not a problem, but didn't seem right).

Next decision is tuners, but I'll wait to see if I can get it playing and sounding right.

Looking forward to the journey.

Rob.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Started learning some fingerpicking this week. My Taylor felt a little unsatisfying but ok. My Martin felt better with more tones. Then I thought about my ol Yamaha.
Old wood gives clearly more overtones and a touch more sustain. I had been neglecting it lately to break in the Taylor. A new reason to visit the old reliable and what a joy to hear those overtones in my new fumblings.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 11-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechmgr View Post
I always like the sounds of phosphor bronze 92/8 better. I put Ernie Ball Medium-Lights on my FG-335s.
Ditto, PB Med-Lights pick your brand.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 11-14-2019, 06:41 PM

I had a 335ii until a few years ago. Found in a thrift store, CD$85.00, w/original case and truss rod key! I moved it only because I was looking for a smaller body guitar. I have had an FG-75-1, and still have my FG-331. The 335ii was a great one. But I play my 331 more than I played my 335ii. Loved all three, though.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 11-14-2019, 10:14 PM

Default Yamaha FG-335 Dreadnought Owners Thread

Cool resurrected thread, almost ten years.

I have my FG 335II purchased new in '81, pushing 40yrs ago. Had it my whole adult life, it kind of defines me in a way. Great guitar with a lot of wear but still great to play, low action, simple but effective, pretty sweet.

To respond to the original OP's question, the only changes I have made to it are a bone saddle, nut and pins. It is usually strung with D'Addario PB medium/lights. It just feels right to me and has been a keeper.

Last edited by ziapack; 11-14-2019 at 10:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion