The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Opinions sought on this recording.

Long time no see, AGF!

I made this recording last week during something of a concert in a classroom. It's of a classical I built; the player isn't too happy with his playing, but those aren't the issues I'm looking at. I'd like your opinions on the recording itself, good and, especially the bad. I'm really new at this, and don't know what I'm doing, so any help is much appreciated. In the interest of coloring opinions, I'll reveal the setup in a later post.

Thanks.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-29-2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Removed advertisement
Old 03-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Musical minimalist

It's kind of hard to evaluate it without knowing what you are using.....if you are using the onboard mics of a Zoom or something it's pretty good, but if you have a reasonable setup, it seems like you haven't set the gain or level on the mics properly or it's too distant from the source.

I think it might be the former as the dynamics sound pretty good at times.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:22 PM

I think it sounds pretty good and the only suggestion I have is to try backing the mics up a bit, or point them in slightly different ways. I hear noise from the mechanics of playing that would be better avoided. If there is a mic pointed at the fretboard that's probably the culprit.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Tone is pretty good.

Volume is really low. You could use more gain at recording time.
Volume of left track is lower than the right track.

Lots of extraneous sounds. Chair creaks? Clothes noises? Breathing.
For the last aim mikes more towards guitar body and further from player's face.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. It is a Zoom H4N, with one AKG P170 pointing out from directly above the Zoom mics, about two feet from the guitarist, 20 inches off the floor, pointing at the 12th fret. The room is a woodshop with a concrete floor, about 1,000 sq ft. I recorded in 4 channel mode into wav, then combined them into a stereo mp3 with Audacity. I didn't make the one AKG track into stereo, just used the one track, thus the imbalance Derek mentioned. I added the AKG on a lark, since I liked the quality I got using it alone and the ambience of the Zoom pair. The chair noises could be from the guitarist or the audience—there were about 20 of us. What Derek mentioned, I didn't hear any of that. My hearing must be going. Advice well taken: mics pointed more toward the guitar body, boost gain, make the AKG track into two.

Anybody other comments?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD