The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Acknowledging this thread started in 2008, I'm sure many details have changed considerably since its beginnings over 11 years ago.

My first Martin was a DRS-2 which is a fully solid wood dreadnought with simple black binding and a hard shell case. I still own her and doubt I will ever sell it. It's just that good sounding. It's also the plainest looking guitar I own and I really couldn't care less. I love the sound. Period.

Comparing it to other higher-end Martins I've played at GC, I can say without hesitation this has the "Martin Sound." It is a made in Mexico instrument that doesn't have quite the immaculate attention to detail my GPC-16E had, but when playing, those details don't matter at all.

In my less than humble opinion, the primary reason we play guitar is for the sound/tone it provides. I have never extensively played an X model but a friend of mine has one that is a lovely sounding Martin. The fact it has HPL b/s doesn't seem to matter at all.

I also have a DPA4-Siris Martin which seems to be a more "beefy" build. I don't know for sure but I think she was built this way to handle a performer's schedule. After all, the PA does stand for Performing Artist... I find finger picking to be somewhat frustrating on the PA series. I don't know if the top is thicker or the bracing is fatter but whatever it is, I also know I cannot overdrive this guitar. I can be a very heavy strummer and know from personal experience the Martin Performing Artist series can take whatever I throw at it.

Best,
PJ
Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 PM

There definately is a difference in the sound of the X guitars. Whether youll like it or not is an open question. What is not is the lam neck. It is heavy and makes the guitar extremely head heavy. I like the look of it though. It they would put a solid wood neck on and a lam top I would be very interested in one. Its the neck that kills the deal for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Another weird thing is that the road series all have crappy electronics systems in them which I would never want to take onstage. Quack city.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
There definately is a difference in the sound of the X guitars. Whether youll like it or not is an open question. What is not is the lam neck. It is heavy and makes the guitar extremely head heavy. I like the look of it though. It they would put a solid wood neck on and a lam top I would be very interested in one. Its the neck that kills the deal for me.
I agree but I was just looking around on there site and I don't think they sell stratabond necks anymore. My 2 year old RS1 does not have a laminate neck.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

HPL is not wood laminate. It is paper micarta.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatpickD View Post
I think the GPRS1 produces a better sound than the X series, but it is a grand performance body which is a little wider, so I suppose that accounts for the better volume. It also has final set up on the PLEK machine, so that is also helpful to the playability. The 000 size x series seems like a good guitar for the money. Both good low end guitars.
You are responding to an 11 year old post. I believe this ship has sailed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion