The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Default Need string advice

I would appreciate some advice on purchasing strings for a spruce topped acoustic guitar (PRS SE60E).

My interest is DADGAD-tuned fingerstyle and I'm currently reteaching myself to play after not playing for many years so for now string comfort is probably more important than sound quality. I assume coated strings are a bit more comfortable and less noisy for an old tender-fingered clumsy fretter?

It looks like Elixir strings are popular here - Nanoweb or Polyweb?

D'Addario? Wyres? Coated Silk & Steel strings?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:53 PM

If you want to try Elixirs, I strongly suggest that you use the Nanowebs and not the Polywebs. The coating on the Polywebs is much thicker than on the Nanowebs, and that does inhibit more of the tone.

If you want to try some excellent non-coated strings, I suggest that you try John Pearse brand. I happen to be an artist endorser for them, but you’ll find a large number of other players on this forum who like them a lot, as well.

Good luck in your quest.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-12-2020, 06:37 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackathorn View Post
I would appreciate some advice on purchasing strings for a spruce topped acoustic guitar (PRS SE60E).

My interest is DADGAD-tuned fingerstyle and I'm currently reteaching myself to play after not playing for many years so for now string comfort is probably more important than sound quality. I assume coated strings are a bit more comfortable and less noisy for an old tender-fingered clumsy fretter?

I play primarily in DADGAD, CGDGCD and CGDGAD. I often use the medium Pierre Bensusan DADGAD strings made by Wyres. I buy them from Pierre, not Wyres as Pierre ships faster. The only thing I don't like about medium strings is the 56ish 6th string. So for now I am trying Elixir's Nanoweb HD PB strings which have medium trebles and light bass strings. They aren't as full sounding as the Wyres though.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-12-2020, 06:55 PM

You will get a lot of recommendations. I use three different brands. Which brand depends on the guitar.

I use Ernie Ball Earthwood, Daddardio, and Elixir. All light gauge strings. I have tried extra light and light medium. Came back to lights.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-13-2020, 12:35 AM

Hey hackathorn, Elixirs are definitely the hot strings as a primary recommendation. I use Elixir 12-53 gauge PB coated strings on my Maton 808 and they sound like heaven once they've settled in. for the sort of tuning you use I think these strings would be a great option because heavier gauge strings seem to be favored for lower tunings as they dont put as much tension on the neck as standard tuning does... I play a full step down for a few acoustic songs and they sound great for lower tunings as well as standard so yeah definitely don't look past elixir 12-53 PB's
Old 07-13-2020, 01:28 AM

FoxHound wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
...so yeah definitely don't look past elixir 12-53 PB's
Well, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you, FoxHound, but a lot of the fun of this sort of information gathering and sharing that goes on here is learning about different approaches that otherwise might not occur to us.

He's got a Paul Reed Smith guitar, not a Maton, and there's a slight chance that his right hand attack might differ from yours or mine. So let's not try to limit the possibilities open to him.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 07-13-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:24 AM

I do like Elixir strings, and have used them for years.

Nanoweb is what you would want.

If you want to try a coated string, try Cleartone strings. They are supposed to have a thinner coating, and I have heard that the coating process is a bit different than Elixir's.

I've gone back to using these recently over the last 2 or 3 months, I think they do edge out Elixirs for clarity and volume. Bit more expensive than Elixir's but so far, I see no shredding of the coating, which is what always bugs me about Elixir strings.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackathorn View Post

D’Addario EJ24 PB are True Medium Gauge are custom made For DADGAD OR Dropped D tuning. 13-17-24-32-42-56 MMLLLM
I use these on several of my guitars that are in standard tuning as well. Great all around strings for fingerstyle and strumming.
The string tension is more balanced from top to bottom for fingerstyle playing.

Blues
Old 07-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Default Thin Core strings

I wonder how these would be in DADGAD:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghs...r-strings.html
Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 AM

Elixir Nanowebs, gauge of your liking. Very consistent, and musical. I use them on all 3 of my acoustics: Martin 000-18, Martin GPCPA3, Taylor 322ce. Buy the 3-for2 special package sets in the fall as Christmas approaches, I stock up for the year then, makes them an even better value with their extended life.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

One guitar brand that I have recently tried is the relatively new Lowden strings. They are not cheap but I have put them on three guitars and they sound and feel great - nice balance between warm and clear. They have been on my guitars for almost 6 months and still sound great. They are advertised as "acoustically treated" so not coated but they sure last like they are a coated string.

The other string brands that I like are GHS and Pearse. I have found these two brands to be very consistently good with a variety of choices in gauge, wraps and alloys. They are more reasonably priced than the Lowdens but do not last nearly as long in my experience.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I wonder how these would be in DADGAD:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghs...r-strings.html

These appear to be plain Jane Medium strings.
Look for True Medium in whatever brand you choose. Some brands have actually referred to these as a Drop D string set
Medium Low (E)
Light (A-D-G)
Medium (B-E)
The heavier top and bottom strings perform well when tuned down a step.
The tension of all strings feels closer to the same against your fingers when played fingerstyle.
GHS makes a version as well as others. As I indicated above I like D’Addario EJ24 PB.
Try a set. You like them or you don’t..

Blues
Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 PM

Mapes strings are now my preferred..www.mapeswire.com
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM

I agree with the Elixir PB nanowebs. Tried the polywebs and couldn't get them off my guitar fast enough. They do seem easier on the fingers to me, plus they don't have as much string "squeak" when I slide, and I can't stand the squeak. Plus they last for months.

I have to use coated string. Something about my body chemistry tarnishes uncoated strings in a day. That being said, I recently tried Mapes PB's, and I have to say they sound great. Tuned right to pitch and stayed. Certainly worth checking out.

At the end of the day, you just have to experiment. I'm not familiar with your guitar and some guitars sound better with certain strings than others. It takes a while to find what works best. My best advice: have fun experimenting and try as many of the suggested ones as you can.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
D’Addario EJ24 PB are True Medium Gauge are custom made For DADGAD OR Dropped D tuning. 13-17-24-32-42-56 MMLLLM
I use these on several of my guitars that are in standard tuning as well. Great all around strings for fingerstyle and strumming.
The string tension is more balanced from top to bottom for fingerstyle playing.

Blues
Would definitely be my preference - my Avalon L32C was set up for DADGAD using these, but they also sound great in C tunings. Would never tune to standard with them personally as that 13 at the top on a long scale is just too heavy for me, but if you want a banjo killer killer, they'll be perfect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion