The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Pickguard or No Pickguard
Yes, put it on 71 68.27%
Nope, I like it naked 33 31.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I like the wood to speak for itself. Any pickguard detracts from the beauty of the wood, even a wood one. Some players need one though cause the way they play so a compromises is needed. The Taylor finish is very resistant to scratches if you are a normal player.
I completely agree, usually. The only reason I am even considering it is because the academy has basically no aesthetic features. Although I think it is very nice looking, it is very plain. I think the pickguard makes it look less plain, but I do still love the look of no guard, so I just don’t know yet. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Nice pickguard but from those photos I prefer it off.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:18 PM

I voted to put it on. I like the Taylor pickguard shape and don't care for teardrop guards. I also like wood pickguards, but don't like ones made from plain plastic, clear, or faux tortoise materials.

So, from my perspective, you've got all the positives and none of the negatives with the one you've chosen.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:39 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’m a big believer that all Grand Pacifics should go naked. But I’m agnostic on the other Taylor models. Still, looking at yours I’d pass on the pickguard unless you need one for your playing style.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:11 PM

I vote yes on the pick guard.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Pickguard or No Pickguard on Taylor

I’ve always liked the Taylor pickguard, but I’ve had 3 with no pick guard and prefer it now. I put the clear, permanent pickguards you can get by calling Taylor on the 2 full-size models.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 07-12-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Leave it off. If you find you are scratching the finish, then you can put it on.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:16 PM

I’m generally a pickguard fan when it comes to aesthetics, but I think guitars with a smaller body shape and/or a more decorative rosette tend to fare better without them.

It’s a close call here. I think that rosette holds its own without a pickguard, but the pickguard looks better than I’d have expected next to the decorative pattern.

Your call! Looks good either way.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Earl wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
...Personally I don't need pick guards, even for strumming, so I always prefer the nude look.
Which is why we stopped inviting you over to our house to play music, Earl. My wife said: “I don’t CARE if it’s the middle of the summer, Earl needs to wear PANTS when he comes over!!!”

It was a little bit uncomfortable for the rest of us when you showed up wearing nothing but a tee shirt and a smile, Earl....

Seriously, though, back to the subject of this thread: I voted in favor of the pickguard. I think it looks great.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-13-2020, 01:22 AM

Smile

This pickguard is suitable and goes well with this guitar although I usually prefer without a pickguard.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:33 AM

I would prefer the pick guard on, it looks more Taylor to me. The wood pickguard looks good too, I don't like the tortoise one but it is ok if I have it...
Old 07-13-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

If this comes off opinionated and judgemental it is not intended to be. It is just one man's opinion and nothing else. It sounds to me that there are a number of people who don't like the look of the Taylor pick guard and I don't know why. I like my Taylor guitar and I'm kind of proud of it. For me at least, it is a huge step up from the one I was playing. I think that when I'm playing it people see that distinctive Taylor pick guard and recognize that I'm not playing some off brand guitar that I picked up cheap somewhere. I don't want to make my Taylor look genaric, which is what the naked look conveys to me when I see one. So that is my perspective and why I say put it on. If one isn't proud of what they play, maybe buy something that they are proud of instead of trying to disguise it.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
If this comes off opinionated and judgemental it is not intended to be. It is just one man's opinion and nothing else. It sounds to me that there are a number of people who don't like the look of the Taylor pick guard and I don't know why. I like my Taylor guitar and I'm kind of proud of it. For me at least, it is a huge step up from the one I was playing. I think that when I'm playing it people see that distinctive Taylor pick guard and recognize that I'm not playing some off brand guitar that I picked up cheap somewhere. I don't want to make my Taylor look genaric, which is what the naked look conveys to me when I see one. So that is my perspective and why I say put it on. If one isn't proud of what they play, maybe buy something that they are proud of instead of trying to disguise it.
I personally think the Taylor pickguard is the nicest style pickguard there is, but my Taylor did not come with a pickguard, and not all do, so putting the pickguard ON would by your definition be trying to distinguish it. Just saying but personally I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to make soemthing your own, everyone has their own style and I love looking at people’s personalized/modified instrument.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:05 AM

Default Yes, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
It's a nice looking guitar and a nice looking pickguard. Honestly, I could go either way on this one. If you are in doubt, leave it off for a while. Keep laying it on top and looking at it. After a while, the answer will come to you.
+1........
2016 Godin S & P Woodland Pro Folk
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M ‘Burst
2019 Taylor BE 517e WHB Mahogany
2019 Taylor LTD 512ce / Cedar-Koa
2022 Gibson Original L-00 Sunburst
2023 Larrivee OM-40R / Rosewood
Old 07-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
I personally think the Taylor pickguard is the nicest style pickguard there is, but my Taylor did not come with a pickguard, and not all do, so putting the pickguard ON would by your definition be trying to distinguish it. Just saying but personally I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to make soemthing your own, everyone has their own style and I love looking at people’s personalized/modified instrument.
Certainly, I agree. I was just posting my own opinion to think about, nothing more to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion