The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
It’s funny you bring up the mahogany sands of timeless wonder.
I’m planning a vacation there and I’m having trouble deciding if I should bring my grand piano or my guitar.
Well, as numerous people have pointed out, bless their knowledgeable and kind souls, the piano is not so portable. Do you have a lute? It's portable, hard to tune, and slippery like a greased watermelon - perfect for travel!

Otherwise, I'd recommend the guitar, or shopping for local bagpipes - it's a tossup!
Old 07-12-2020, 02:48 AM

It is the attraction to the sound of steel and wood,
the attention to nurse and care the instrument,
it is the fun of playing licks and runs,
you can get good friends from playing music,
it is healthy for body (most of the time ) and mind.

Last edited by PeterD18DK; 07-12-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:12 AM

It changes my life, it give me piece, it cures my depressed life, and it shows me nothing better than being able to do what I love. I can give you about 999 reasons or more. But for me, every guitar has a soul. It lives, it sings, the more it sings, the better it gets. “It takes about 20 years for a guitar to know that it’s not a tree anymore”
Old 07-12-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Portable magic.
Thank you Bax
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Someday the cell phone will replace all musical instruments and we will be seen as luddites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY071UuLCGM
Old 07-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
I had no interest in guitar or music. I developed a neurological condition and my wife and doctors suggested it for rehab in hopes that it could help memory and focus issues...
Thanks for sharing your story Russ. Keep up the steady progress.

When someone mentions music therapy, I immediately think of emotional support. In reality, music affects every part of the brain. Science and therapists are slowly discovering just how versatile music is in the rehabilitation toolbox.

An acquaintance of mine started a non profit several years ago to help people with memory problems. The positive changes she sees leave no doubt music therapy works. You are proof it helps. Keep playing.

----------

To answer the question of why I picked up acoustic guitar...

My son played for a few years before leaving home to live with my now daughter- in- law. He was good at it, and I loved, loved listening to him play. All but one of his guitars moved with him. He left his acoustic dread behind, which is at my knee when working at my current remote office work space. I miss hearing him play, more than words can say, but his dread is too much for me. When I discovered the world of small body guitars, I fell in the rabbit hole. : Will always miss hearing Son play, but learning myself helps take out some of that sting.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Ever seen a gig bag for a grand piano? I rest my case, your honor.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

What is with the tiff going on here? Jeezz. The same reason most have said here. I'm a singer first, guitar player by convenience. It makes good accompaniment. There comes a point where a I had to make a choice whether to play the trumpet or sing, so I chose guitar. Actually I chose ukulele because I was travelling a lot, but I have settled down now and the guitar is more interesting.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The chordophones - guitar, mandolin and banjo were almost as easy as the fiddle to travel with.

This applied to their places of origin, and to the 13 colonies as people of all nations started to travel across the continent.

The USA, particularly, created a "romance" of those times, and the guitar, perhaps more than the others were a part of that romance.

Certainly Hollywood had much to do with this "romantic" image.

We all fell for it ! Whether it was about the "rhinestone" cowboys, the deep south blues, or the Scots-Irish lonesome songs sung with a "hill-billy" back beat.

What are your childhood images of someone playing a guitar that stirred you to get and play one?

Gene Autry and Roy Rogers
Old 07-12-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
What are your childhood images of someone playing a guitar that stirred you to get and play one?
Hank Marvin, and those beautiful Burns guitars.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
And you can sing and play at the same time - try to do that with a woodwind or brass instrument.

And you can also walk around and play and sing - try that one with a piano.

I can't speak to the supposed attraction it has for the girls. Didn't work for me (or .... hmmmm ...maybe it did and I would have otherwise lived in a sexual desert without my guitar). They say its shape is reminiscent of a woman; bass drums or bassoons sure aren't.
“You obviously haven’t seen a recent photo of my mother-in-law!....” A. Bundy
Old 07-13-2020, 06:18 PM

Whats the attraction to sex? Same answer. Feels good. Smells good. Sounds good. Can wake you up or put you to sleep. Can bring life and hope to the player. Allows for individual expression and creativity. Pleases the one or ones involved. And much more. Well, there are some differences!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:45 AM

I agree it's a versatile musical instrument. And, well...

https://www.menshealth.com/sex-women...uitar-players/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...pparently.html
Old 07-21-2020, 09:21 AM

Before guitar, my hobby was chess. Now, I'm no virtuoso but I'm a better guitarist than a chess player.

You can get some very nice chess sets but guitars are prettier.

They do however have something in common. Watching a young prodigy play can make you think "why do I bother?"
Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 AM

It’s a lot about the portability for me, can’t take a piano out on the porch and play

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion