The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 02:33 PM

Default A/E Breedlove

Hi, How's everyone doing. This is my first post here.
I'm starting to hunt down the "Right" acoustic guitar. Currently I only play and own Strats and aspire to play the blues. It seems with what I'm practicing on guitar now I would be better off with a cutaway model. I see now that means an A/E. I know nothing about them.
I've been researching here and stumbled across Breedlove guitars made in China that seem well made. I'm hoping to get some feedback on these guitars good or bad. I'm leaning toward there concert size bodies. thanks for any input.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoshark View Post
Hi, How's everyone doing. This is my first post here.
I'm starting to hunt down the "Right" acoustic guitar. Currently I only play and own Strats and aspire to play the blues. It seems with what I'm practicing on guitar now I would be better off with a cutaway model. I see now that means an A/E. I know nothing about them.
I've been researching here and stumbled across Breedlove guitars made in China that seem well made. I'm hoping to get some feedback on these guitars good or bad. I'm leaning toward there concert size bodies. thanks for any input.
Wonderful guitars. The ones built in China have an 1 11/16" nut width, which may be better for someone switching from electrics. (USA builds have a 1 3/4" nut.)

I use a Breedlove Pursuit Concert (cutaway acoustic/electric) with a cedar top as my stage guitar. Of the four guitars I own, it's the most fun to play. The Martins are better in terms of pure acoustic tone, and have more volume. But the Breedlove has greater sustain. It's built like a tank compared to my Martins, and a bit heavier.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by bufflehead; 04-02-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:33 PM

Cool- thanks bufflehead. I was doubtful of any A/E as far as comparison to non electric acoustics, as you indicated with your Martins. Of course there are other variables in that particular comparison. I've found a couple of A/e Breedloves her on Craigs. One is exactly what you have. Hoping to take them for a spin.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 PM

I had a Pursuit Exotic Concert. Really nice guitar. Only reason I don’t anymore is because I upgraded to their Oregon series. I was very impressed with it.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Probably one of the best buys in guitars. I don't think you can go wrong with a BL. I've been a big fan having owned 2 Asian made and 3 USA made ones and have only sold to go up in the line. Dumped my Martin D-28 for an American series concert about 8 years ago and wished I'd done it much sooner.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-03-2019, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

I have a Breedlove pursuit exotic. Lovely guitar. Got it b stock at a ridiculous price. Needed the frets leveled when I got the action setup low, but that was all. Amplifies well.
My son is using it now to learn to play and loves it, I found I got on better with a wider fretboard.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies. that's enough good feed back to find a Breedlove to try out. I see they put a lot of thought into there bridge systems. I found an older A/E Breedlove from the Atlas series. Looks like that series is no longer current and ended a few years ago. If anyone is familiar with the Atlas series I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. that's enough good feed back to find a Breedlove to try out. I see they put a lot of thought into there bridge systems. I found an older A/E Breedlove from the Atlas series. Looks like that series is no longer current and ended a few years ago. If anyone is familiar with the Atlas series I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks
Atlas is Korean made I believe. I would stick to the American made ones.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:59 PM

How much did you want to spend?

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 04-03-2019, 08:48 PM

The oversees made Breedloves are the best guitar for the money that one can own. They stack up with many guitars costing thousands more. I have had several Breedloves both USA built and oversees. I don't think you can go wrong with a Breedlove oversees build. Breedlove keeps a very close eye on the quality of these guitars. I know from living in Bend, OR where Breedlove is and knowing several people in the factory. Top notch company.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Thanks again guys for the input. Guess I need to get out there and play some Breedloves. The electric- acoustic thing is only because of the cutaway, for me. I even wonder if that is necessary once I get comfortable with an acoustic again. Getting down to the 15th fret would be fine, I think. Just noticed playing acoustics at the local shop I was getting jammed up past the 12th.
As far as spending dinero I have to hold back on that. Really think about how much I'd be playing one. I'm older and the Strats are easy on my hands. I really want to bond with an acoustic. We all know the problem, finding one that inspires on your budget. My budget is low, currently. Used is what I'm after. Breedlove w/ laminate B/S around her go 250 to 4 bills. That's where I want to be.
The only acoustics I've owned was a Yamaha FG180 and a Martin HD28. Yeah, hard to get that tone for 4 Benjes. Anyway, thanks again
Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 AM

I had a Breedlove Stage Concert made in China; it was all solid wood, and I found it for only $500 - it was a really excellent guitar for the price. I did experience some variability when playing other guitars of the same model, and couldn’t find one that felt as good when I realized my guitar had been slightly damaged in shipping. Now I just picked up an Oregon concert CE, USA made. Much more expensive, but a lovely guitar. Im not getting on so well with the LR Baggs electronics in it, though.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I had a Breedlove Stage Concert made in China; it was all solid wood, and I found it for only $500 - it was a really excellent guitar for the price. I did experience some variability when playing other guitars of the same model, and couldn’t find one that felt as good when I realized my guitar had been slightly damaged in shipping. Now I just picked up an Oregon concert CE, USA made. Much more expensive, but a lovely guitar. Im not getting on so well with the LR Baggs electronics in it, though.
Jimi- thanks for the reply. I reread all the post this AM and did a search on A/E here. It mad me wonder about the electronics on the A/Es and which are considered better than others. What issues are you dealing with on your LR Baggs?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Jimi- thanks for the reply. I reread all the post this AM and did a search on A/E here. It mad me wonder about the electronics on the A/Es and which are considered better than others. What issues are you dealing with on your LR Baggs?
Hey, so I actually have a thread going on here about that. Basically, the LR Baggs Element my Breedlove came with is sounding really unbalanced- the treble string are loud, while the bass ones are muddy and quiet. I’m also getting a “quack” I don’t like. It’s all a drag, because I love the guitar, but playing amplified is important to me. Some people on here think my saddle just needs to be adjusted, while others seem to think I might do better with different electronics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion