The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Anyone actually left their CF guitar in heat

Hi All, I know that theoretically, a CF guitar can be left in 120 degree heat in a car and be fine, but has anyone actually done it? I just want to be sure that there is no glue or anything that melted or pickups that fell off or whatever before I do it without thinking twice. =)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Yes, but it's sunny days here in PA and probably not more than 90F outside the car.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

They might be fine, I don't know, but I wouldn't chance it around Phoenix. Not that hot here in the mountains, but still wouldn't leave it in the trunk or anything. I've left it in the car (rear seat) when it was 95 degrees out, in a case, and all was fine. For about 4 or 5 hours.

Last edited by jdinco; 07-30-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Guest 928

In removing fret boards from wooden guitarsI've found that normal glues start coming apart at about 120-150 degrees. With epoxy glues the temperature has to almost double that before the glue starts releasing. I suppose this would relate to CF guitars--not that I care to test it.

As far the trunk of a car....I have a solar dryer (a box with a glass top) that in an ambient temperature of 105 degrees produces 200 degrees--my guess is that a car trunk painted black might come close to the heat. But that's a guess.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM

Ted from LA Guitars (a former sponsor) often told about leaving his Rainsong in the back of his SUV all the time for years in SoCal weather, without suffering ill effects. CF and eKoa are durable but not invincible, and I still have not pushed the limits. The worst I have done is leave mine in a shaded car at 95° for about an hour while we had dinner.

Personally I would not leave even a CF guitar in Arizona or other desert summer heat. Mine comes into the restaurant (or wherever) with me. We are often travelling with pro-grade flutes too, and the leather pads are attached to the keys with wax - yet another reason not to let instruments overheat. Whenever I travel by car there is always a sleeping bag in the cargo, for emergencies. If it became necessary to leave stuff in the car for any period, it would all go into that heavy sleeping bag, then be left on the floor and out of the sun, with windows cracked.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:42 PM

I had a rainsong I left in the trunk of my car through a Minnesota winter (think 20 below) and I’ve left my ca Cargo in the trunk for a couple weeks at a time in the summer (90ish) with no issues.
But... A trusted luthier once told Me that he knew of one that got messed up in high temps though
Ned
Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

All my CFs, ~ a CA, Emerald, and a Blackbird eKoa ~ have spent many days where it gets to about 115. The guitars probably get hotter due to picking additional solar radiant heat.

Only the Emerald is experiencing some issues.

At the moment it is unplayable but can be repaired.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

No, but someone left a cake out in the rain.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Guest 928

Bob;

Just out of curiosity, are you related to Andy Womack the famous Rodeo Clown? I did rodeos when young and watched Andy save many lives by diverting enraged bulls. He also had the most beautiful and best trained mules I've ever seen. Don't know if he had any carbon fiber saddles (just to keep somewhat on topic).
Old 07-31-2018, 09:36 AM

i had the traveler version of the McPherson. lived in my trunk in direct sun in 110 degree weather for a week. just fine. (forgot it was there lol)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
All my CFs, ~ a CA, Emerald, and a Blackbird eKoa ~ have spent many days where it gets to about 115. The guitars probably get hotter due to picking additional solar radiant heat.

Only the Emerald is experiencing some issues.

At the moment it is unplayable but can be repaired.
What happened to the Emerald?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Anyone actually left their CF guitar in heat

I live in Florida and it gets 100 degrees or so in the summer. I left my Rainsong in the trunk before in those conditions.

Not quite sure how hot it gets inside the car, but my buddy once had a thermometer that burst after being left in the car. The thing went up to 130, so I’m sure it had to be much hotter to create the pressure to bust the glass.

Never had any issues leaving my Rainsong in the car. I’ve left it in the direct sun before on a hot day between sets and it had to be 100+.

However, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. I wouldn’t do that again. It was necessity before.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley View Post
I had a rainsong I left in the trunk of my car through a Minnesota winter (think 20 below) and I’ve left my ca Cargo in the trunk for a couple weeks at a time in the summer (90ish) with no issues.
But... A trusted luthier once told Me that he knew of one that got messed up in high temps though.
Cold is not the issue. I've talked with several touring pro's whose Rainsong guitars have ridden in the unpressurized cargo area of small planes in bush Alaska at -50° or even colder. No problem. Mine has personally survived several winter car trips between Anchorage and Fairbanks where the outdoor temp was -35° all day.

Heat is the enemy of materials and especially glues. A closed-up car sitting in the sun can easily exceed 150° when it is only 95° outside. And that gets into the range where some adhesives can begin to soften / fail. It is cooler in the trunk (no solar gain from the windows) but not by a whole lot, and that area will eventually come to equilibrium with the cabin temp if left long enough.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 AM

We tend to vacation in warmer climes.
My Journey OF660 has spent travel time up to 12 hours in the trunk of my car.
It spent the night in the trunk while staying with family in Valdosta, GA in June.
It also spent a good portion of the day in my car when we changed results at Disney this summer.
It has not suffered at all.
I do not go out of my way to leave it in the car. But I have when necessity dictated that I leave it.
I don’t know about the others. But my Journey Instruments did fine.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 08-05-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
What happened to the Emerald?
Strumalot may be referring to the broken tuners mentioned in another topic. Although I don't know if heat could cause that.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber