The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 02:35 PM

Default Footstool

Who here plays with a Classical Footstool.??

For years I played with a strap, sitting down. When I got my Parlor guitar in I didn't need to and I really enjoyed it. But, I was noticing the guitar would sometimes want to slip outwards, which wasn't a big deal but it caused me to put my foot on an oversized can. A baked bean can.(wink) I found that I like it.

So, sometime soon I'm going to order a classical footstool.

Do you play with one.??
Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

I have, but I prefer a strap or a lower chair.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:59 PM

i learned years ago what a godsend a footstool was. unlike classical players, though, i use it under my right foot. i realized i had always compensated the balance when playing seated by my right foot being on tiptoe, crossing my legs, or placing my left foot sideways underneath my right foot.

i first bought a footstool when i was searching for something to lift up my younger students footing given borough of manhattan size phone books don't exist anymore.

i starting using it myself since it was nearby and had my footstool epiphany. particularly helpful for maintaining good posture for taller players. I should also note that this is for practicing. When I perform I stand.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40

Last edited by Graylocks; 07-13-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:02 PM

I have one as a backup, but when I play in a low chair I don't need one, and when I play on a higher seat I use a 12" square, 5" high, cushioned footstool that I prefer.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:06 PM

Having gigged a lot for several decades I have discovered that the height of the footstool or bottom foot rail on a chair or stool is very important, especially if you use any effect pedals on the floor. So, I encourage you to take the time to decide what your posture will be on whatever you sit on while playing and notice exactly how low you want your foot, usually right, to reach while playing. Once I settled on that, I bought a classical footstool but then raised its height by putting it on my pedal board (got a bigger one for this) at the height of my pedals which are also raised up some from the floor so I am not reaching with my right leg and foot downward so much that I almost fall off the stool. Hope all that makes sense.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:18 PM

I play in the classical position. I sit on a 24” seat height stools and use an adjustable footrest under my left foot. My guitar teacher started me playing this way and I believe it has helped avoid back and other pain. YMMV.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:59 PM

I use one about 1/3rd of the time. It's adjustable so I can make it work with whatever posture I have that day.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:19 PM

footstools are famous for causing back problems. Get a Neck Up or similar device instead.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:30 PM

As Graylocks I use a footstool with an acoustic but under my right foot rather than left. Also very low. When I was playing in a classical ensemble I got a lot of postural discomfort playing in the classical position. I had to practice a lot. Exercises, comfort breaks, postural adjustments and different seating made no difference. Our leader insisted that we all play with our music stands on their lowest settings so audiences could hear our instruments. That didn't help matters. All this played a part in why I went back to the acoustic in the end. I find it more comfortable. I alternate every 10 minutes or so between low footstool and cross legged.

As you get older adjustments to practice position get more important. Never had to when younger.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I use a box from Costco. Sturdy and oh so classy looking. Maybe that should be Klassy ; )
Old 07-14-2020, 01:39 AM

Yes, I play with a classical footstool. Hercules one, and my positioning and technique has improved since. Recommended.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:07 AM

I also use a footstool. I'm small and acoustic guitar gets hard to play without adhering to classical posture.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:11 AM

I sometimes use a footstool with classical, but I generally prefer a Dynarette Guitar Cushion.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-14-2020, 06:21 AM

That Dynarette looks interesting
Old 07-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

I attribute The herniated disc that I have in my lower back on the left side to over 30 years of just slightly twisted sitting position set my body naturally assumes when playing guitar with a footstool. Ymmv, hopefully. Most of the last five years I play almost exclusively standing up using a slider guitar strap.

Here’s my favorite footstool:

https://www.amazon.com/My-Brest-Frie...X27099DDM266ZX

Here’s the slider guitar strap:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Slider-...ulder-Strap.gc

Well looking for the links to the slider, I found the Slinger guitar strap, which I’ve never seen before:

https://www.amazon.com/Slinger-Strap.../dp/B00QSURF9U

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion