The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Guitars' Nashville Showroom | First Impressions of the New SC-13E

always a fun time when Justin Johnson walks thru the door.
highly interested in the shape and ergonomics of this model. i'm kinda wanting to wait to see if they do something(away) with the blue rosette, i can live with the blue FB inlay.

in every video i hear a thin tone, but i keep thinking its the strings, and have taken note of some owners here on the AGF reporting a much thicker tone with a different string change. i think this would be a super fun, comfortable instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5VzoVQFKWE

and while we are at it, here's Mary Spenders take on this model. and she mentioned it comes with martin custom light 11 gauge strings and a low action(electric feel)-that tells me what i've been hearing as thin, is just a lighter gauge string set. love to hear this model with 12-54 martin SP's on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmnd461QAnE

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-16-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I just keep hearing his rings and bracelets clicking against the finish of the guitar
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Sounds really punchy to me. That Cat can play some killer blues groove.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Can confirm, switching to 12s had a real effect on the sound of mine. Now, it has also meant it plays ever so slightly less easy, but in guess I might get the set up tweaked if I stick with 12s. The 11s were not bad at all by any means, and played really nicely.

I put retros on because that's what I had to hand but going to try SP next.

Last edited by Coler; 07-02-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
Sounds really punchy to me. That Cat can play some killer blues groove.
that cat can "rumble" for real
d
Old 07-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Can confirm, switching to 12s had a real effect on the sound of mine. Now, it has also meant it plays ever so slightly less easy, but in guess I might get the set up tweaked if I stick with 12s. The 11s were not bad at all by any means, and played really nicely.

I put retros on because that's what I had to hand but going to try SP next.
thanks for posting, I'm more impressed with the look and build shape the more I see these. I'm just about ready to line up for the next available.

if you have time, whats the weight of yours?
and whats the string spacing at the saddle? (hoping its at least 2 3/16" but I'm figuring it is going to be 2 25/32" they've been putting on most guitars lately)

thanks again, good to hear from an owner.
d
Old 07-02-2020, 07:57 PM

I don't know. It sounds good. But then I remind myself that I have seen video of that guy making a shovel and a can (Marvel Mystery Oil, IIRC?) sound good. Put strings on it, he can make it sound good.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
thanks for posting, I'm more impressed with the look and build shape the more I see these. I'm just about ready to line up for the next available.

if you have time, whats the weight of yours?
and whats the string spacing at the saddle? (hoping its at least 2 3/16" but I'm figuring it is going to be 2 25/32" they've been putting on most guitars lately)

thanks again, good to hear from an owner.
d
My pleasure.

Spacing at the bridge is indeed 2 5/32.

Mine weighs 4.4 lbs on my bathroom scales, so when you consider it's got a pick up and a battery in it, that's light. My 000-28 reimagined, which has no pick up, is 3.8 lbs.

Hope that helps you.

I'm hugely happy with mine but I have to remind myself, this is the honeymoon period.

That said, it does indeed, as promised by Martin, play like no other acoustic guitar. Not just because of the cutaway. The neck is extraordinary. And not just up at the 20th fret. Incredibly playable up, down and back again.

I think it loses out on volume/projection versus my 000-28, but it's not lacking in basic power - the 000-28 is just very, very good, and costs twice as much. The overall tone of the SC-13E is lovely. The strings are incredibly balanced. It is definitely easier to record than my 000-28.

So mine is a keeper. And if I didn't need/want a slightly louder guitar for playing unamped in trad sessions in pubs...well...I don't know if I would keep my other acoustics other than for sentimental reasons/to pass them on to my sons/because I really like them. OK that's going slightly too far - but for sheer fun of playing this thing probably has them beat. It is also clearly more versatile.

edit: I think that probably sums it up for me right now. It's just such incredibly good fun to tear it up on the neck of this thing, and that has not worn off for me yet. This instrument will definitely change my playing style, for the better, and elements of that will transfer onto whatever acoustic I play, for the better.

Underlying that striking new feature, you have all the other great design elements - the body shape (very comfortable, certainly seems to achieve its aim of balancing the sound) and the neck (unbelievably playable).

And it sounds great.

You sound like me before I bought. Obviously try to play one first before you jump on it. I did not have that option. Worked out pretty good

Last edited by Coler; 07-07-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My pleasure.

Mine weighs 4.4 lbs on my bathroom scales, so when you consider it's got a pick up and a battery in it, that's light. My 000-28 reimagined, which has no pick up, is 3.8 lbs.

Hope that helps you.

I'm hugely happy with mine but I have to remind myself, this is the honeymoon period.

That said, it does indeed, as promised by Martin, play like no other acoustic guitar. Not just because of the cutaway. The neck is extraordinary. And not just up at the 20th fret. Incredibly playable up, down and back again.

I think it loses out on volume/projection versus my 000-28, but it's not lacking in basic power - the 000-28 is just very, very good, and costs twice as much. The overall tone of the SC-13E is lovely. The strings are incredibly balanced. It is definitely easier to record than my 000-28.

So mine is a keeper. And if I didn't need/want a slightly louder guitar for playing unamped in trad sessions in pumped...well...I don't know if I would keep my other acoustics other than for sentimental reasons/to pass them on to my sons/because I really like them. OK that's going slightly too far - but for sheer fun of playing this thing probably has them beat. It is also inarguabmy more versatile.

edit: I think that probably sums it up for me right now. It's just such incredibly good fun to tear it up on the neck of this thing, and that has not worn off for me yet. This instrument will definitely change my playing style, for the better, and elements of that will transfer onto whatever acoustic I play, for the better.

Underlying that striking new feature, you have all the other great design elements - the body shape (very comfortable, certainly seems to achieve its aim of balancing the sound) and the neck (unbelievably playable).

And it sounds great.

You sound like me before I bought. Obviously try to play one first before you jump on it. I did not have that option. Worked out pretty good
so my take on your reply is something like lets say you own a classy 7 series BMW, but you opt to take the mini cooper 8 out of 10 times, just because its fun to drive and it makes you so dang happy behind the wheel.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
so my take on your reply is something like lets say you own a classy 7 series BMW, but you opt to take the mini cooper 8 out of 10 times, just because its fun to drive and it makes you so dang happy behind the wheel.

That's not a bad way to put it at all Daryl. The 13E is certainly bringing a smile to my face everytime I pick it up. Then I play the 28 or 17M and I think dang these are seriously nice guitars. But the 13E has stayed out on a stand in the room I spend most time in during the day/evening since it arrived, so that's telling me something (the others are also "out" but in the music room, so-called).

It's going to be interesting to see how I feel about it in 6 months/12 months time. The accessibility/playability features surely don't feel gimmicky to me, but lets see what kind of staying power it has. If you told me right now I had to ditch one guitar, then all in all it would be the 17M and I love that guitar.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
My pleasure.

Hope that helps you.

So mine is a keeper. And if I didn't need/want a slightly louder guitar for playing unamped in trad sessions in pubs...well...I don't know if I would keep my other acoustics other than for sentimental reasons/to pass them on to my sons/because I really like them. OK that's going slightly too far - but for sheer fun of playing this thing probably has them beat. It is also clearly more versatile.

And it sounds great.

I love mine and agree with everything you have said. I can't make the comparison with a 000-28, I don't have one. For me, this instrument feels like it was made for me, I love it. It's not going anywhere

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi Pete - another happy owner

I was playing mine and my 000-28 tonight. It has to be said, comparisons to my 28 in respect of tone, volume, projection are neither fair or reasonable in that we are talking about two completely different price points, but objectively speaking, the 28 is clearly superior, as you would expect/hope, frankly, as an owner of a 28 lol.

But, I stress again, the SC-13E sounds lovely on it's own merits. I have to remind myself that its brand new out of the box and even with laminate B&S there will be some opening up over the next few months.

I am pretty sure that 12s are the way to go. I have retro 12s on it right now and like them. I want to try Martin SP or Elixir Phosphor bronze next. I have Elixers on the 000-28 and wow it just sings.

What is anyone else trying on the SC-13E? I did love the playability of the custom lights it came with but 12s really bring it to another level, and make it sound like a martin, to my ears.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I was playing mine and my 000-28 tonight. It has to be said, comparisons to my 28 in respect of tone, volume, projection are neither fair or reasonable in that we are talking about two completely different price points, but objectively speaking, the 28 is clearly superior, as you would expect/hope, frankly, as an owner of a 28 lol.

But, I stress again, the SC-13E sounds lovely on it's own merits. I have to remind myself that its brand new out of the box and even with laminate B&S there will be some opening up over the next few months.

I am pretty sure that 12s are the way to go. I have retro 12s on it right now and like them. I want to try Martin SP or Elixir Phosphor bronze next. I have Elixers on the 000-28 and wow it just sings.

What is anyone else trying on the SC-13E? I did love the playability of the custom lights it came with but 12s really bring it to another level, and make it sound like a martin, to my ears.
I'm extremely keen to hear about the experience of everyone else about strings for the SC-13e, or anything else for that matter

COLER, I have sent you a PM

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Now that I have more playing time on this guitar I'm happy with the tone. I still have the original strings on it. I have read a lot of comments where owners have said the first thing they would do when they received their new guitar is to change the strings for 12's.

I haven't seen too many comments attesting to the results of changing to 12's except for this one in the previous post.

"I did love the playability of the custom lights it came with but 12s really bring it to another level, and make it sound like a martin, to my ears"

Has any other SC-13e owners tried 12s and care to comment?

Old 07-14-2020, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

here's a neat video i found tonight, had not saw this before. this explains a few things about the neck and neck joint better than any others that i've watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzWZi872By0

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion