The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Mine is about as simple as the come. I come out of my guitar 25' Mogami Gold Cable to a LR Baggs Para DI which connects to the PA system via XRL. Very simple but great results. I have used various other methods in the past.

For electric I either use my Fender 1x12 Blonde Supersonic Combo Amp or I use a Vox Tonelab LE straight into the PA.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 AM

There's a whole lotta win in this thread.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Small Set up:
Taylor T5s/Taylor 614 ES, straight into Genz Benz Compak300/ with or w/o extension cab depending on venue: split guitar signal from T5 and send A/B second side to Roland Cube 60 or guitar tube amp; mic into mic channel on Compak300.

Smaller: Same set-up with acoustic guitars into Mackie SRM150, line out into Cub AG100, mic into mic channel on SRM 150, guitar into guitar channel on SRM150.

Large or Outdoor: T5s into A/B, out to tube guitar amp (Peavey Classic 30, Mesa Subway Rocket or Roland Cube 60); mic into Mackie CFX mixer for effects then into BOSE line input; acoustic side of Taylor T5 into BOSE on T5 channel 1 preset. I also add GR 20 synth signal from one T5 mounted with GK3 pickup into mixer then into BOSE. May add chorus/flange pedals between guitar and amps. OFten use onboard effects from Cube60 on electric side of T5s and leave acoustic side clean.

davidc
Old 04-01-2009, 04:05 PM

After trying a number of things I go pretty simple:

Guitar ---->Zaolla Artist RA 10ft.
LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI ----->Zaolla Artist RA/RA 6"
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal ----->Zaolla Artist RA/RA 6"
Boss TU-2 ----->Zaolla Artist 5ft.
Fishman Loudbox 100 or Trace Acoustic
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Here's mine (updated from Post #40 three years ago - only thing the same is the the guitar!!!):

Taylor 414 -> PW Tuner -> Fishman Orchestra Aura -> Eventide Modfactor -> Aphex Acoustic Exciter -> Front of house (PA).

Brian
'83 Ovation Ultra
'09 Ibanez CE200 Classical
'81 Les Paul Custom
'06 G&L Tribute Legacy HB
'06 Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
'07 Variax 300
'08 Washburn Rover
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Taylor 415 and/or Larrivee L-03 both with K&Ks into Boss Tuner, Chorus, and Digitech Vocalist Live 2. Sennheiser 945 Mic... All into Bose L1 Classic, with T1 and a single B1

Yes I've sipped from the Bose Kool-Aid (also the Taylor Larrivee and K&K Kool-Aid... I'm quite thirsty apparently)

Last edited by Celtic Johnny; 04-07-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Hi,

both my LB6 enabled guitars go to an APB Dynasonics PRo rack mixing console through the Pz Pre stomp box by Radial engineering. I add a little reverb and nothing else. I still have the LXp1 by Lexicon.

The board is then connected to Dynacord CL 1600 amp and to a pair of EV Zx5 speakers. The mike is by Heil sound and the above Lexicon are the effects for vocals too.

I am happy with the overall sound.

Keyshore
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Cocobologist

Here's what's behind me...:

- Bose L1 with 2x B1 bass modules
- Guitars (Depends on show, but most always includes an acoustic and the T5)

...And Here's what's in front of me:

- TC Helicon VoiceLive
- Bose T1 ToneMatch
- Sennheiser e855 (replaced Shure SM-58 in this pic)

Pics taken at local Farmer's Market after setting up w-a-a-a-y too early in the morning!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Hope this help

Hi all,
After some thoughts I decided to share my frugal set-up so it may help the others (as good or even bad set-up sample)

Here's my current one;
Main PA is Fishman SoloAmp, from there I use 1 channel out to mic XLR at Digitech Vocalist 2 mic XLR channel that goes to my mic (Shure 58 beta), and again from SoloAmp I used the other 1 out to Guitar 1/4 channel at Digitech Vocalist 2 that goes to my guitar (Taylor 412ce)
I use the Aux output at the back of Soloamp for my drum machine (Zoom 123 which is kind of cheap but still effective) that has the volume control at the front.
I use very little reverb at Soloamp voice channel, and none at guitar channel.
At Vocalist2 I set the EQ differently according to the acoustical effect at the places that I go to (either indoor or outdoor).
I also use the same Shure 58 beta for my harmonicas besides singing and I guess I can live with that.
I have this set-up a little less than a year ago since I bought the Fishman SoloAmp, before that I used Roland 60 that I still use from time to time especially in small indoor room and the set-up is a little bit different but you got the idea. And before that I used Fender PD250 which I also like but the weight/shape became a slightly problem especially when I am getting older and almost always "a one man band" kind for the last good 10 years or so.
Anyway the main reason for my current set-up is to travel light and easy time to set-up, excludes the drum throne that I sometime use. I bypassed the other gadgets that certainly would help me perform better but at my age "what you see/hear is what you got or "take it or leave it" attitude!!
Hey remember Bob Dylan said "You can't have your cake and eat it too"

I just retired about 2 months ago, so no more packed rat king to the gigs for this old man, just one trip from my truck to any gig is good enough for me (OK may be a trip and a half if I have to use my drum throne for a few hours long gig)

Like I said "Hope this help"
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM

I run my guitar into a Genz Benz 35 watt amp with a little delay and into an A/B box then into the PA System.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Guitar: Taylor 810ce > Bose L1 Classic > preset #49
(JamMan Looper using Channel #2 insert)

Vocal: Shure Beta 87A > Bose L1 Classic > preset #17

Pretty simple set-up. Sounds great and is extremely simple.

Steve
Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
SCGC 00
Josephson C42 microphone (this week I'm trying out a AKG C214)
Small Ultimate mic stand
Mogami mic cable
Mackie 402-VLZ mixer
Another Mogami cable
RCF 310A powered PA speaker.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
I will be anxiously awaiting your review of the 214...
I did my first gig with the 214 today. I really liked it a lot. It was a private party of maybe fifty people at most, so it was pretty easy in terms of volume. Never fedback at all... It’s not as bright as the Josephson, but I ended up boosting the highs, so I don’t know if that’s a good thing. It’s a little more sensitive to placement than the Josephson.

I have a louder jazz club thing coming up with bass and drums next week, so we’ll see how it fairs in that environment. I’ll bring a Josephson just in case. And I always have a Beta 57 in the mini van -though I’ve used the Josephson many times with the trio...

The 214 is definitely a keeper. I need to do a few more gigs to decide if it’s going to be a part of my regular gig rig, but at the very least it’s great for home recording fun. It’s one very warm mic.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Default My Live Rig - Update 8/12

Aloha,

My Live Rig:

Guitars: Three self-made OO/OOO sized Koa guitars - all 30+ years old. I need three for all the tunings I use. Currently building three new ones.

Dual Source Guitar Amplification Systems: K&K Mini Pickup/AKG 416 hyper internal mic dual-source combo in all three gigging guitars.

External mic: In quiet settings, in the best rooms, my first choice is aways to use an external mic alone - either a JW-modded AKG 460 condenser or Heil PR 35 dynamic mic (choice depends on the room). Or, I add an external mic to my basic K&K P/U-AKG internal mic combo at around 4-8" away at the 18th fret. DR Pro low profile stand. Very natural sound.

Preamp: Pendulum SPS-1 w/ PU-Mic blending & volume controls on the plug-in, end-jack module. The best live acoustic guitar preamp available, IMO. Fully parametric EQ prevents ALL feedback in ALL settings I've played to date. Greg's module is pure genius. 1 rack space.

FX: TC Electronics M-2000 Dual Engine Stereo FX Processor. I only use very light doses of FX in most cases, with few exceptions. This unit offers unbelievable control and over 500 presets. 1 rack space.

Power amp: Parasound 2125. Smooth, cool running. 2 rack spaces.

Speakers: Koa Daedalus W803's. Best I've ever heard & most efficient 8" three-ways ever. FANTASTIC IN EVERY VENUE OR GIG SETTING from intimate rooms on through to larger Auditorium or Hall venues. Proel stands & heavy covers. You Cannot Beat These for solo or small combo gigs w/ singers!

Portable Rack: Odyssey BR-418 4-space portable rack with built-in HD handle and wheels. The preamp, FX unit & power amp are easily transported & controlled in this rack.

Cables: Canare/Neutrik, Mogami, Planet Waves.

Vocal Mics: AKG 535 condenser (often). Heil PR 35 dynamic (often). K&H stands.

Loud/Band Gig Pickup: If it gets exceptionally loud at a gig, I'd slap in a Duncan Magmic SA-6 magnetic soundhole pickup & either use alone or blend w/ the K&K. I have an extra jack in one guitar w/ mini connectors @ the soundhole to facilitate easy connection when I put the SA-6 in. I turn off all instrument mic's. Nice full sound. No feedback. Not as natural sounding as my regular pickup system. Great for loud settings, tight stages & slide blues.

Accessories: Shubb Capos, self-made glass slides, Fred Kelly thumbpicks, large Fender medium flatpicks, medium D'Addario's or sometimes TM GHS's, acrylic nails. CMC music stand w/ Mighty Bright flexible stand lights.

Note: The sum of these great parts in a planned, signal chain is why I love my dream live rig. It offers a quality of sound, control and flexibility that I'd never fully realized before. This compatible signal chain provides the best live amplification for my music that I've ever played through in over 50 years of gigging round the world.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-12-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Usually I play my Guild JF30 w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity > Yamaha AG Stomp > LR Baggs PADI >

Today at church I tried a different route for the heck of it, and was pretty happy with it:
Guild etc... > SWR Strawberry Blonde w/ Boss CE-5 in the effects loop > DI out from amp
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 AM

Martin D 45 , OM45
2 Rivera Sedonas
1 Fender Special 65 (single 15" for some BUMP)
1 QSC mx 700
2 EAW SM200 stage monitors (the best in the world)
1 lexicon MPX400
1 roland VG-99
1 Furman P 1800 ( you really need regulated and conditioned power with tube amps, tubes are biased at 120v not 114 or 117 or 124,thats 120v conditioner keeps the RF out )
1 memory man
1 metal muff (acoustic distortion? yeah )
1 scotch
1 bourbon
1 beer

its pretty noisy for an acoustic set up
Im the TAYLOR KILLAH!!! go ahead plug it in and make my day
2004 Diego Huerga" Lucky 7"
1998 R6
2003 R7
2009 Deluxe
2011 Limited
2015 ES Paul

Last edited by Guitaardvaark; 04-06-2009 at 05:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification