The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Default EQ box suggestions

All of my instruments have K&K pickups (banjo, powermix, and trinity). Typically I play through a venue provided PA or my LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp, if I am playing through my amp, I’ve got lots of tweaking possibilities since it is fully parametric with notch, phase, ands ground. It’s when I am elsewhere that I want access to all the tweaking controls that my amp has. Hence, I’m looking for suggestions to provide the EQ tweaking I want. I’ve considered a K&K Mach 2, as well as a Grace Design Alix. Pro’s? Con’s? Other idea’s? Thanks in advance .....
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 AM

LR Baggs Para DI if you need a DI.
or their Align if you don't.

Probably too many "Good Enough" options, honestly.

Radial Tone Bone,
Westminister Effects "Zurich" pre

etc etc etc . . .
Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 AM

You really have tried one of the best in the grace design
box. Eq is subjective. sbt can be finicky. room acoustics
and large changes in volume can reak havoc on sbts.
requiring large amounts of eq headroom. you may want
to try soundhole pups like sunrise, or baggs m80,
They seem to require less tweaking and are less eq problematic.
This has just been my experience. ymmv.
Ive been using a line 6 helix stomp for awhile now.
It has many eq models and comp and a plethora of effects and
guitar models. You can load irs and really find sweet acoustic
settings for any pickup or inst. for instance
switching from guitar to banjo on stage is just one button stomp.
I play 3 inst in the band and the stomp
has replaced my pedalboard. Its very intuitive and
after i watched a few videos and read the manual
i just find i can be more creative with it.

Last edited by varmonter; 08-14-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
All of my instruments have K&K pickups (banjo, powermix, and trinity). Typically I play through a venue provided PA or my LR Baggs Acoustic Reference amp, if I am playing through my amp, I’ve got lots of tweaking possibilities since it is fully parametric with notch, phase, ands ground. It’s when I am elsewhere that I want access to all the tweaking controls that my amp has. Hence, I’m looking for suggestions to provide the EQ tweaking I want. I’ve considered a K&K Mach 2, as well as a Grace Design Alix. Pro’s? Con’s? Other idea’s? Thanks in advance .....
I just went through this exercise and did a some side-by-side comparisons of different preamp/eq boxes. If budget weren't a concern the Alix Grace probably would my choice and gets the best reviews (although I haven't tried that one personally).

In my case it came down to two: The Baggs Para DI and the Fishman Platinum Pro. The Fishman was more money but what made it the winner was mainly the built in soft compression which is lacking on the Baggs. Also the Fishman has a built in tuner/mute, a bass cut knob and a boost switch. While the Fishman Platinum Pro and Platinum Stage appear to be very simila with the Stage having fewer features, the difference between the two models for sound adjustment is head and shoulders different. I had the Stage for a few days and preferred the Baggs PADI.

I had also considered the Baggs Venue DI, similarly priced the the Fishman Platinum pro, but the larger size of the Venue in my situation didn't warrant trying it. The Platinum Pro is 5.5" x 6"... so relatively compact for a ton of features. If you know who to ask how to ask nicely it can be had for far less than the $300 advertised price.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Baggs Align EQ is awesome ...and has a single knob notch filter that works great.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM

I have the Align EQ which is pretty good, and the Tech 21 Q Strip which I like better (but it has a little more noise.) Both are totally usable.

I had an MXR 6 band as part of a larger signal chain, but it's not that useful on its own. Having a unit with a high pass and notch filter is very valuable IMHO.

I tried an Headway EDM-1 and it had a lot of noise and really not that great sound compared to the others, might have been a bad unit.

I'm considering checking out the Fishman Platinum Pro, and the Line 6 Helix. I need battery power so the Grace models are out for me (as well as the Empress.)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 PM

I love my Alix. Super clean with lots of features. Lo, fully parametric mids (with adjustable range) and hi controls, plus a high-pass (or notch, if you want) filter (20Hz-1k). Phase switch, ground lift, DI out pad, effects loop, handles various input impedances. You can even use it to power other pedals.

I took a look at the Baggs amp manual, and the Alix can do pretty much everything the Baggs Reference can EQ wise--Alix can do a notch and 3-band EQ with parametric mid, rather than notch with 4-band EQ. The only difference I see is the Baggs has a switch to bypass effects going to the DI; the Alix doesn't have a bypass if you are using the effects loop.

Downsides? Needs 120V AC power. Largish footprint. Expensive compared to other DIs.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate all the suggestions. The Alix sounds very much like a portable replacement for my Baggs amp. I’ll look into several of these and see how my instruments sound. Thanks!!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Ditto. Also love the high pass filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Baggs Align EQ is awesome ...and has a single knob notch filter that works great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification