The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Default Pit Bulls just mauled my cat

Not sure if she's going to make it- she quit bleeding and come out of total shock, but doesn't seem to have use of her back legs.

The poor thing was on the front stoop and I had just got home from the grocery. The beastial animals moved in next door a couple of years back and several times I think they would have attacked me if there wasn't a fence between us. The stupid woman was taking them up the street with no leashes- I just heard the commotion I didn't see any of it

I hate these dogs and those who often seem t have not one- but two or more of them just to intimidate other people,

There oughta be a law- high charged dogs in tiny old houses- a threat to all who live here.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Edited language and inappropriate references
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Sorry. Hope she makes it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Sorry to read this.
Happened to my harmless 18 year old cat too many years ago ... right in front of my neighbors kids playing in the street.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Very sorry to hear this.
As a cat lover and pit bull hater,
I feel your pain and anger.
I hope your cat recovers fully.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Hope your cat pulls through. Not sure where you live but I’m sure there is a law, same as if they’d attacked you instead of your cat. I’m not a cat or dog person but I’m sure they’d at least be liable for the vet bills. It would also b worth a call to you local dog catcher to report the to loose dogs
Old 08-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Doesn’t Florida have a leash law?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 AM

I grew up with dogs. I love dogs.

But not Pit Bulls!

I am sorry to hear of your cat. I hope it recovers.

If I were king, owning a Pit Bull would not be legal. These dogs were bred for one purpose only. To fight.
They are very strong. They are tenacious. Over and over, they prove to be dangerous.

There are those that defend this breed. While these dogs cannot help being what they are, I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one.

With all the breeds of dogs available, there is no reason to have one of these dogs.

More recently, my wife wanted a pet and we ended up rescuing a couple of cats. I have come to appreciate them as much as I have dogs.

Generally, I am an animal lover. But Pit Bulls are a time bomb, IMO.

If you can, demand to authorities that these dogs be confiscated before they maul a human.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate commentary
Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 AM

Really sorry to hear about your cat.

The breeding and ownership of Pit Bulls is illegal in the UK as are several other breeds that are considered to be exceptionally aggressive.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

There are many states and municipalities with strict laws regulating these wrongly and violently bred animals.
I feel so sorry for your poor cat and you. I hope as mentioned above that you call your local animal officer to make sure these “people” are reported and this doesn’t happen again. It could have been a small dog too, or a child.
Accountability doesn’t mean a whole lot these days, but we all have to do our best to make sure those who do others wrong and who break the law are held accountable for their crimes.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate commentary
Old 08-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpon View Post
I hate these dogs and the urban scumbags who often seem t have not one- but two or more of them just to intimidate other people,
I'm very very sorry to hear about your cat. And I share many of the concerns about pits and I've even had bad experiences with German Shepherds, although I've also had one and he was a great dog. But a Shepherd attacked our little Cocker-Poodle-mutt mix several years ago - attacked her out of nowhere and nearly killed her. It's an incredibly traumatic event for the whole family, most of all the attacked pet. Although, they amazingly seem to get over it faster than we people do, living in the moment as they do.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 08-11-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: removed response to content that had also been removed.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Sue them!!! And criminal complaint.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-11-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 08-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
Sue them!!! And criminal complaint.
Yes call police immediately. Dangerous dogs need to be destroyed and owners be fined.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-11-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:45 AM

I live in a small town, Anza, in the mountains in So. Cali. About a year ago, a lady went out to hang her cloths on the clothesline. Here most people live on 2 or more acres, many are not fenced. While she was hanging her clothes, 3 neighboring Pit Bulls attacked her, and tore her arteries in her neck. The emergency Med Techs, would not go to her until the dogs were secured. It took 45 minutes, in the mean time she had lost a huge amount of blood and was put on life support. About 1 week later she died. Died hanging her clothes on the clothesline.

Ed
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Makes you wonder why anybody would choose this type of animal and then have to spend the rest of it's life trying to convince other people that they really do make quite nice pets and that any problems with the breed are because of the owners. Does anybody believe them?
Old 08-11-2019, 11:43 AM

I don't think Kitty will make it. She kept crying out repeatedly into last night- this happened about 8pm, but finally settled down and rested quietly. Her nose and face were bleeding and that was the first thing I saw when I got to her outside, but that bleeding stopped soon, and I thought maybe she was just in shock. Her legs will still not function and she has a slight seepage of blood on her back- Im afraid on of the monsters clamped down on her spine.

I sponged that area with some soapy water- the poor thing doesn't respond to any area I touch her with any sign of pain, so that gave me hope last night. Now it just seems paralysis,

I thought a nights rest might bring her around, but still no change- she can't move but is still resting quietly as of 1:30.

I drove to the vets about a mile off an hour ago to see if they are open. I'm afraid the trauma of a hot cart trip and the vets would finish her for sure. I have little faith that they can do much to cure her but put her to sleep, and for now I'm leaving her here, rather than traumatize her.

I'm 65, I've been sick most of this year and constantly under attack by people in this area. I'm always amazed that people so rotely respond with suggestive punitive measures.

I'm still hoping she'll pull through- she was a feral cat left in the yard when I got here 7 years ago. I had in tow then a feral cat left at the apartment building I was living, and a dog- he came after me on my bicycle once. He was on a very short tether and suddenly they put him on a much longer one and that other cat hadn't realized that.

If Kitty can't move by tomorrow, I'll take her to the vet. She probably won't return. Please don't ask me a lot of personal questions- I'm old I'm tired I'm upset and I don't want to debate. I lived most of my adult life in downtown Hollywood- this is Jacksonville now.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Sorry for what you and your kitty are going through, but had to remove inappropriate commentary
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic