The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
But you're not really calling anything. You're inventing a narrative and showing no actual evidence that your narrative is factual.
You're essentially imitating Cartman.
Aren't you being a bit hard on the guy? Geez...

At most he's guilty of creating a bit of a click bait scenario with the title he chose for the thread...Other than that, the content is fine and potentially very informative . Is it possible the problem here is that what he is putting forward as potentially valuable information simply is not lining up with the narrative you have in your own head for Taylor?

The guy is clearly a Taylor fan. He wants to buy one. I, like him, am also a Taylor fan. I was definitely buying a Taylor before all this v bracing stuff went down. I took the wait and see approach also. I personally have no interest in being anybody's guinea pig. After all, that's exactly what this whole v bracing thing has been so far....essentially a big experiment on the part of Taylor...

Time will tell...what he is bringing forward here could end up being an inconvenient truth for some...The guy is putting this out there based on what he has heard...he stated this...what is wrong with that? I have no reason to question him. I doubt you do either. The only thing clear by your comment, and the comments of some others in here, is that you're not happy with the information he heard.

The information he brought forward is the exact kind of potential knowledge I'm looking to get from these types of boards. Threads about what color stickers someone should or should not put on their case is fine, but the type of discussion here is where it's really at. If what he has heard is in fact true, it does not surprise me in the least. We'll see...

Thank u Audie for starting this thread. You did nothing wrong, and I can tell your heart is in the right place on this.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-10-2019, 07:51 AM

I appreciate Audie's post, and I think it's on point, personally. As a consumer, I think Taylor's product "menu" is confusing and offers too many choices - and it keeps changing!

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo
Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post

At most he's guilty of creating a bit of a click bait scenario with the title he chose for the thread...Other than that, the content is fine and potentially very informative . Is it possible the problem here is that what he is putting forward as potentially valuable information simply is not lining up with the narrative you have in your own head for Taylor?

The guy is clearly a Taylor fan. He wants to buy one. I, like him, am also a Taylor fan. I was definitely buying a Taylor before all this v bracing stuff went down. I took the wait and see approach also. I personally have no interest in being anybody's guinea pig. After all, that's exactly what this whole v bracing thing has been so far....essentially a big experiment on the part of Taylor...

Time will tell...what he is bringing forward here could end up being an inconvenient truth for some...The guy is putting this out there based on what he has heard...he stated this...what is wrong with that? I have no reason to question him. I doubt you do either. The only thing clear by your comment, and the comments of some others in here, is that you're not happy with the information he heard.

The information he brought forward is the exact kind of potential knowledge I'm looking to get from these types of boards. Threads about what color stickers someone should or should not put on their case is fine, but the type of discussion here is where it's really at. If what he has heard is in fact true, it does not surprise me in the least. We'll see...

Thank u Audie for starting this thread. You did nothing wrong, and I can tell your heart is in the right place on this.
Thanks Dbone, sometimes it takes a calm Canadian to settle down the fans.

Audie simply posed some observations and questions he wanted to share. I'm sure he didn't expect such a reaction but unfortunately, sometimes it goes that way when people feel their beliefs are being challenged. There was no indication Audie was claiming to channel Bob Taylor.

I too think Bob Taylor made a mistake with the Andy Powers hire and the subsequent V-Bracing "innovations". Only time will tell whether that turns out to be true.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Come on, guys... this conversation needs to remain polite. All members are entitled to their opinions.
Thank you very much.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Very interesting...Thanks for the clarification. This could get very interesting to say the least....hmm...
Thank you very much.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Thank you very very much. My points exactly. An intellectual conversation was all I was after. I did not mention bridge pins on purpose to avoid what ended up happening anyway. "Are we talking about bridge pins". Ha Ha. No I am not gonna talk about them.

Last edited by Audie; 08-10-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add the bridge pin funny
Old 08-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I appreciate Audie's post, and I think it's on point, personally. As a consumer, I think Taylor's product "menu" is confusing and offers too many choices - and it keeps changing!
Thank you very much.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Thanks Dbone, sometimes it takes a calm Canadian to settle down the fans.

Audie simply posed some observations and questions he wanted to share. I'm sure he didn't expect such a reaction but unfortunately, sometimes it goes that way when people feel their beliefs are being challenged. There was no indication Audie was claiming to channel Bob Taylor.

I too think Bob Taylor made a mistake with the Andy Powers hire and the subsequent V-Bracing "innovations". Only time will tell whether that turns out to be true.
Thank you very much.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

It seems to me that Bob Taylor is one of the few people in the guitar world willing to push the envelope and take risks. Changing the bracing pattern (especially moving away from the holiest of holies - the X brace) is a pretty bold move. Although I don’t particularly like the Taylor sound, I do appreciate his business savvy. When you take risks, sometimes things don’t work out and you have to change course. From what I can tell, Taylor understands the market pretty well.

Companies like Martin and Gibson are bound to their traditions, which may be a point of frustration for the ownership (or maybe not). I have a feeling once the boomer generation ages out of guitar buying, which should be relatively soon, the dynamics at the traditional companies will get shaken up.

It’ll be interesting to see how all guitar companies - not just Taylor - adapt in the next 10-20 years to a new crop of guitar buyers.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It seems to me that Bob Taylor is one of the few people in the guitar world willing to push the envelope and take risks. Changing the bracing pattern (especially moving away from the holiest of holies - the X brace) is a pretty bold move. Although I don’t particularly like the Taylor sound, I do appreciate his business savvy. When you take risks, sometimes things don’t work out and you have to change course. From what I can tell, Taylor understands the market pretty well.

Companies like Martin and Gibson are bound to their traditions, which may be a point of frustration for the ownership (or maybe not). I have a feeling once the boomer generation ages out of guitar buying, which should be relatively soon, the dynamics at the traditional companies will get shaken up.

It’ll be interesting to see how all guitar companies - not just Taylor - adapt in the next 10-20 years to a new crop of guitar buyers.
For real and I am a baby boomer. A last year 64 model.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Record sales, #1 producer (in volume anyway), escape from the day-to-day grind....what’s not to like from BT’s perspective? He did a very good job executing his succession plan so that he could move on to a new love—reforestation. I admire his business management more than his guitars.
Yes and mostly I agree with you. But I am suspect about the reforestation sincerity as it relates to save the ebony. He has just started a new company selling ebony cutting boards. Oh they are very beautiful, but that it is not reforestation for sustainable ebony for musical instruments as he started out doing. Cutting/chopping boards made of beautiful ebony. I am bummed. Still love Bob, but am bummed out about the decision.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Even if Taylor Guitars chose to discontinue making the new V-Class Bracing guitars, for whatever reason, my new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific Builder's Edition would still be the fine-sounding, well-made guitar I've come to appreciate after one week of ownership.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
For real and I am a baby boomer. A last year 64 model.
Pre-CBS!
Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

My only niggling comment about the Grand Pacific models is with the really nice looking, faux-leather tooled case: It seems to be the same quality, underlying construction of the regular Taylor 300 Series and Up case but it has one less rear-end buckle on its lid. Likely the elimination of this buckle is to offset the extra cost of the faux-leather tooled covering? Bean counters always seem to make their presence felt no matter what the company or the product!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-10-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I am very happy with my present Taylor guitars. I have been consistently impressed with Taylor's customer service dept. I was just reading a post in the Guitars For Sale forum. In trying to get info on his guitar that he is selling, the owner was not able to get hold of the company who built the guitar (a big and well known company). I have never had this happen with Taylor. During business hours, they always answered my calls immediately. May they never change this policy.. or the value they place on their Customer Service dept... no matter how their guitars evolve over time!

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion